Robin Williams Dead At 63

WheelsRCool

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Goooood Mourning Viet.... Oh

Too soon?

So sad. Cracking comic and someone that never failed to deliver a smile in his interviews.

For those to say it is a selfish act, well be thankful that you have never found yourself in a dark place.

That's such a fucked up comment. Unless you have dealth with someone who has depression or you yourself have, you can't understand it. It's a disease and a mental health disorder. So much so, that you can think there is no help for you. Also, dealing with the FUCKED UP business he was in, it doesn't help. You can say all you want, "money, fame, whatever it's all so great, so why would he do that?" But unless you've been around it and seen it from the inside, you can't understand.

Haynes is correct.

Very sad situation, you get yourself into a spiral and you don't want to upset the people around you. To say it is the easy way out? No way, each and every day you look at people close to you, people that you love dearly and you put on a brave face and you try to make them not worry about YOU. Even though you have this empty darkness inside you you emit the most sunshine you can until you get to a point.

Very sad news.

Dude.

The list of celebrities with severe anxiety, depression, panic attacks, substance abuse, etc. goes on forever. Ellen, Eminem, John Belushi, Elvis, Chris Farley, Scarlett Johanssen, Brooke Shields, Owen Wilson, Marilyn Monroe, Michael Jackson.,....

Source? I can't find anything on Scarlett Johannson, only that she's addicted to buffalo wings. http://www.thefrisky.com/photos/8-strange-...ction-scarlett/

Goooood Mourning Viet.... Oh

Too soon?

So sad. Cracking comic and someone that never failed to deliver a smile in his interviews.

For those to say it is a selfish act, well be thankful that you have never found yourself in a dark place.

Oh, please....

[/u]

Oh, please....

You and I are lucky, we embrace the dark, we are born into it. When wheels started talking about energy saving light bulbs we did not have a clue what he was on about. Because we like it dark. Not everyone can handle the situation in the same way.

And I thought you would have revelled at my opening line. You have changed :(

a true legend and icon in Hollywood! he will never be forgotten.

if you know anyone going through a tough time you should always try and step in. sometimes you don't have a choice, but other times some people are asking for help. never look the other way.

RIP RW

A man who brought so much laughter in the life of many was such a sad person himself, sad to see it :(

Depression is nasty, if you have a friend or a family member going through it do your absolute best to help!

yes truly a troubled man, perhaps that is what made him such a good comedian..i saw this article in January, kind compared comedians with mental illness..feel so sad for his wife and kids...and the mess they now have to deal with..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-25...conditions.html

A man who brought so much laughter in the life of many was such a sad person himself, sad to see it :(

Depression is nasty, if you have a friend or a family member going through it do your absolute best to help!

Society does not want to acknowledge trauma because it forces us to explore the darkest corners of the mind and face the entire spectrum of human glory and degradation. In this process, trauma shatters some basic assumptions we have about ourselves, the world and our God. Society has established POSITIVE ILLUSIONS….

•   The world is basically a good and just place.    

•   People get what they deserve in life, and thus they deserve what they get.    

•   We ourselves are good and deserving of good.

•   We are protected from serious harm by virtue of our goodness and God’s justice.

These illusions are harmless in normal circumstances but leave us totally unprepared to face tragic misfortune. Trauma victims are banished from society because….     

•   We are afraid to listen to their horrifying stories.     

•   Trauma victims are the bearers of the TERRIBLE KNOWLEDGE that the positive illusions are false.

Expressions of denial of PTSD….      1. Reject the individual’s stories and blame them for their suffering.      2. There is a relatively low level of interest in the victim’s suffering.      3. There is a persistent lack of organizational planning to treat PTSD even when society, organizations, the military or the community knows it is happening.

Berceli, David (2011-03-13). Trauma Releasing Exercises (p. 42). . Kindle Edition.

Part of it is like RD alludes to - "Just accept it, suck it up, and move on." but sometimes you don't know where the hell you're suppose to move on to - or the place looks so unfamiliar, or you have no clue how you could change enough to get there...

Self love is cleverer than the cleverest man in the world.

Hope, utter charlatan though she be, at least lures us to life's end along a pretty road.

Vices help make up virtues as poisons do medicines.

Discreetly tinctured and blended, they become a means of combating life's ills.

François de La Rochefoucauld .

Selfishness from too much self Love is a vice.

R.I.P. Robin.

Seems to me that if you look throughout the history of the entertainment world you see the funniest & most talented are often the most afflicted with depression & mental health issues. This is usually manifested through substance abuse, outrageous behavior and promiscuity among others.

Some of the comments in this thread regarding depression are depressing. I encourage everyone to read a little bit of David Foster Wallace in order to understand the illness and the effects on its victims. He analogizes it all quite perfectly in the following quote:

“The so-called ‘psychotically depressed’ person who tries to kill herself doesn’t do so out of quote ‘hopelessness’ or any abstract conviction that life’s assets and debits do not square. And surely not because death seems suddenly appealing. The person in whom Its invisible agony reaches a certain unendurable level will kill herself the same way a trapped person will eventually jump from the window of a burning high-rise. Make no mistake about people who leap from burning windows. Their terror of falling from a great height is still just as great as it would be for you or me standing speculatively at the same window just checking out the view; i.e. the fear of falling remains a constant. The variable here is the other terror, the fire’s flames: when the flames get close enough, falling to death becomes the slightly less terrible of two terrors. It’s not desiring the fall; it’s terror of the flames. And yet nobody down on the sidewalk, looking up and yelling ‘Don’t!’ and ‘Hang on!’, can understand the jump. Not really. You’d have to have personally been trapped and felt flames to really understand a terror way beyond falling.”

R.I.P. Robin.

Seems to me that if you look throughout the history of the entertainment world you see the funniest & most talented are often the most afflicted with depression & mental health issues. This is usually manifested through substance abuse, outrageous behavior and promiscuity among others.

so true, I wonder why this is...

R.I.P. Robin.

Freddie prinz.

Btw. I would love to be backstage whereever Gilbert Godfried or bob sagat are tonight. I guarantee the tasteless jokes have already started.

so true, I wonder why this is...

I would have to think the pressure of the worlds eyes constantly on you must be a large factor.

Btw. I would love to be backstage whereever Gilbert Godfried or bob sagat are tonight. I guarantee the tasteless jokes have already started.

When he is cremated do you think his relatives will start rubbing the urn?

I would have to think the pressure of the worlds eyes constantly on you must be a large factor.

yep, and getting older for a lot of these celebs/models/singers etc must be extremely difficult.

I don't suppose all the coke and the booze helped with the depression.

im sure it made him forget about everything and then coming down it was probably 100x worse.

sad

I feel it is very sad for his family and unfortunate. I have known some very depressed people and it is not a pleasant situation, and I don't wish it on anyone.

But I guess I am in the minority that I didn't find him very funny at all, never have.

I did think he was a talented actor in parts with very good writers, but I wasn't a fan of his standup or ramblings on talk shows and interviews.

That is just my opinion, but regardless of that meaningless opinion, very sad for his family and to hear what he must have been going through outside of the public eye.