LP640 vs Cayman GT4

NRG x Lambo

hey guys,

just wanted to get some feedback from you guys, and start a fun "what would you do" discussion. i have an LP640 that i'm really looking at pulling the trigger on. i've been ALSO on the hunt for the new CAYMAN GT4 for a few months. i was actually just starting to give up on the hunt cause people want so much over MSRP on the car. i was just offered a GT4 for sale for about $15k over sticker. the car includes the uber hard to find carbon bucket seats...

on the GT3's and GT3RS's are showing signs of appreciation, and it DOES seem like the LP640's are going up. i'm not looking for a COLLECTOR'S style appreciation (i.e.: P1, Enzo, etc)... but it would be nice to know that i'm also not buying into a car that has the potential of taking a blood bath.

which car (and i know it's sort of an APPLES to ORANGES comparison) would you choose given the chance? and WHY? could be based on presence, value, performance, long term appreciation? etc....

Long term resale wise, the Porsche GT3RS kills the the murci. Ogara out here has a 997.2 GT3RS listed for $499k... seriously. (I think it's a 4.0)

I'm not sure the GT4 will hold up like that, and obviously it depends on how much you drive it. Will it be a collector, that's hard to say, but it will be one of the last true manual GT porsches.

Will they flood the market with them next year? If so, that might kill your premium. But regardless I don't see an LP640 as an "investment", maybe the 670SV over the long term. There are just too many 640's out there to pull in huge money.

Long term resale wise, the Porsche GT3RS kills the the murci. Ogara out here has a 997.2 GT3RS listed for $499k... seriously. (I think it's a 4.0)

I'm not sure the GT4 will hold up like that, and obviously it depends on how much you drive it. Will it be a collector, that's hard to say, but it will be one of the last true manual GT porsches.

Will they flood the market with them next year? If so, that might kill your premium. But regardless I don't see an LP640 as an "investment", maybe the 670SV over the long term. There are just too many 640's out there to pull in huge money.

There will be GT4's on every gen of Porsche going forward and it's a Cayman, not a 911. 997.2 GT3RS 4.0 (Production worldwide I believe was 500 units) was the last Metzger engine production Porsche and the last GT3RS with a manual. It's a total outlier. GT4 is a really great car, but the next one will be along before you know it.

Bear in mind that you've asked this question on a Lambo forum... so LP640 all the way. PLUS, you could always wrap it to as close to Blue Nethuns as possible.

Bear in mind that you've asked this question on a Lambo forum... so LP640 all the way. PLUS, you could always wrap it to as close to Blue Nethuns as possible.

Even on a Porsche forum it's a no brainer. Are we really comparing a V12 Italian exotic against a Cayman that's in the same class as a M4, corvette, etc.?

You guys realize his question had NOTHING to do with the driving or ownership experience right?

Ya. He was talking investment potential. I still say the 640 or a 6.2 Manual have a better chance at appreciation then the GT4.