What was your "realistic" dream car that you never got?

VCR

Hmmmm... I own my "dream cars". Countach and e30 M3.

Still want a G... Just havent pulled the trigger. Probably later this year...

Kinda wanted a 58 or a 63 POS. Never did it.

Dont think I could fit in the 58... And the 63 is just kinda "meh".

Always liked the look of the old slant nose porsches... Never liked em that much.

Loved the e28 M5... Just a badass car at the time. Doesnt make much sense now.

Still love the 288GTO... But shit... Too few and too much. I have a fear of any car that they made fewer than 1000 of.

Wow.... For a car guy, my wish list never got very long.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was underwhelmed by the 993, not very fast, old switch gear, tiny interior, tiny pedal box, couldn't make it work for me at the time as a DD. I bought an NSX instead.

Very true, but it did look cool as heck.

Hey, the NSX wasn't a bad choice :icon_thumleft: ! That is another car arguably in this category.

The Europe only M3's... the E36 Evo and CSL. Had the US spec E36 and E46 competition pack but was a far cry from the full fat European models.... also a Mercedes E190 16V was too young when they were out, now they're all rust buckets

I had the E36 3.2 Evo coupe with rare SMG 1.

I was lured into a deal, it was imported from Italy and from the start car keeped falling apart from day one,

SMG was a horrorshow from reliability but I liked it othervise when every one else hated without ever driven one.

But engine was strong as hell.

Went easily 285kmh, I drove it on winters even in -30degree, pulled even stronger in cold oxygen rich air.

I had this stupid bad attitude thing going on, had to drove every night over 250kmh with it, often even in winter in frozen or snowy roads with studded tires.

After a year I had spent aproximately over 3k€ every month to just keep it running, had to sell my nice ass mountainbike and all to get it covered.

Then lost my licence for over 10 months and got fined by police for atrocious amount of 168 day unit fine, I have never heard anyone getting even close to that amount. First time they got my licence, later same evening stopped again, this time taking the car keys away too.

At the end when I was taking daily the bus being pissed out, trying to cover my job. Then SMG started to really fall into pieces, a dealership gave it minimum of 10k€ service approximate, I decided to drop my selling price for the 10k€ and sold the car unworking. The day some asphalt guy came to get it with truck, he winched it onto flatbed, car was not willing to even start because SMG gearbox had it locked somehow, so he winched it with gear in, leaving tyremarks and rear end having horrible bangs all the time.

m3evo.jpg

My realistic dream car was BMW Z3 M Coupe, Alpine white with red and black interior. First the price with import taxes was too hight, then just could not find any in sale in Europe, after many years of looking I bought the nicest and rarest 2.8 and have had it ever since and will never sell. Do I miss the 3.2 S-engine, yes but I have done too much to this, all the carbon fiber work and all to ever sell this...

Non realistic dreamcars, well the list would not end.

Very true, but it did look cool as heck.

Hey, the NSX wasn't a bad choice :icon_thumleft: ! That is another car arguably in this category.

Totally agree, the 993 was the best looking 911 ever built. C4S is the one for me, not a turbo. There are 2 cars I wish I never sold, one was that NSX, the other was a gen one Bronco. Picked up an old Bronco recently, still looking for a Zanardi NSX only 50 made, very hard to find

New NSX is such a fail.

My old 99 NSX T in the foreground. Comptech mods and HRE's

post-13077-1455685259.jpg

I think you dodged a bullet. As a teenager the UR quattro was my somewhat attainable dream car. A high school friend's dad had one. The killer b rally class was in it's prime at the time. I made the mistake of buying one in the early 90's, talk about never drive your heroes. Slow, understeery, a noodle for a gearshift and very unreliable. It took 2 hours just to change an air filter the engine bay was so tight. The only upside was I was able to sell it a year later for more than I paid for it. The UR quattro's weren't hatchback's, they had a trunk because they came stock with a 26 gallon gas tank behind the rear seat.

I took a run at several 928 GTS, but could never pull the trigger. Found a rare 5 speed manual once, very disappointing, tranny didn't fit the personality of the car. The auto was much better. While on the lot got seduced by the raw power of a 996tt and that was it. Always regretted not owning one. First gen M3 and Mercedes E500 built by Porsche (with the updated headlights) were others.

You are likely correct about the Quattro but they sure looked cool. And sometimes it's their idiosyncrasies that made this and some of the other cars mentioned here so unique and memorable. Some perhaps for the wrong reasons; some perhaps not. And yes, I knew about the trunk; just didn't know how to describe its profile, fast back perhaps?

6 years ago, I was fortunate enough to come across a mint auto 1994 928GTS. Pulled the trigger on the spot. Had it for about 30months. No where as cool as I thought it could have been and it was kind of fun. The car was way over-engineered. Sold it for more than what I paid for.

Also have a soft spot for a 190E 2.5-16 (which North America never officially imported, only the 2.3 I believe). Agreed that what are available now are mostly rust buckets. Would love to find a mint one though.

I was about 11 when my father brought home a Diamond Black Pearl 1990 300ZX Twin Turbo from Southtown Nissan. I also remember him getting arrested for driving with a suspended license while he and I test drove the same car. I had a heck of a role model.

Anyway- i always loved the 300ZX but sometime between 2000 and now I have decided that I no longer care for this style. I think it is the wider placement of the Diablo with these lights that has become my "norm" and now this 300zx looks disproportional.

My List was always:

1990 Cavalier Z24. As a 10-15 yr old- this was a hot, attainable car. Fulfilled, had one at 16.

DeLorean- I just love this car. Its a total POS but it is a beautiful POS. This one will likely be a miss.

1993 Cobra- Teal: Fulfilled, drove it from May-October of 09' and sold it.

E46M3- Fulfilled: Had one from 10-14'. Great car

Porsche 996: Probably end up with one of these some day, likely as a project car turned DD.

and obviously- 2000/2001 Diablo 6.0. Somewhat fulfilled.. sort of- ish.

Trans Am WS6

Lexus GS 400(late 90's model), does it count if I couldn't afford it back then? lol. was my dream car in high school. perfect balance of speed and luxury

Trans Am WS6

Lexus GS 400(late 90's model), does it count if I couldn't afford it back then? lol. was my dream car in high school. perfect balance of speed and luxury

YES! WS6!! That car was quite awesome.. Was it the "Nighthawk" version? The first one of course, i believe 1994. Not the one that looked like a fish...

edit.. yikes.. even this one is looking awful in retrospect. Man.. this was an icon of my teenage years.. looks so dated. When did I get old??

1996-ws6-ram-air-trans-am.jpg

Trans Am WS6

I had one. That was my dream car in High School. Out of reach of someone making $5.15/hr. Took me 5 years or so to finally get one. Still like the looks, but the car was not the car I hoped it was.

300 Z TT...I used to look at that damn brochure all the time.

Ended up with a 3000GT which was great, but heavy and slow.

Really wanted a Supra and or an NSX as well, but could never find one in my price range.

Black 98 (I think that was the first year it came out redesigned) Lexus GS400. Traded in the 3000GT for it...still not sure if it was a mistake...

300 Z TT...I used to look at that damn brochure all the time.

Ended up with a 3000GT which was great, but heavy and slow.

Really wanted a Supra and or an NSX as well, but could never find one in my price range.

Black 98 (I think that was the first year it came out redesigned) Lexus GS400. Traded in the 3000GT for it...still not sure if it was a mistake...

shit

I forgot about the 3000gt

that was one for sure

930 turbo

964 RS

M3 of the 80's

and even an RS 2700 of the 70's...believe it or not, i found a nice one some 14 years ago, in that dark violet color... and it was something like 50.000 euro

too much money for me then, nothing today for it