I really need to buy a new gun...

Roman

BTW...

In 1976, The District of Columbia passed the MOST DRACONIAN gun ban in the United States.... A complete ban on the ownership or possession of handguns... Despite over 20 years of its enforcement, D.C. earned the title of "MURDER CAPITAL OF AMERICA" in the 1990's, with over 400 homicides on average per year.

In 2008, The Supreme Court ruled that the D.C. ban was UNCONSTITUTIONAL... The anti gun crowd predicted there would be "Blood in the Street"... that only the ban was preventing the murder rate from being even worse.... But the following year the murder rate in D.C. dropped 25%.

And this year? 4 years after the dissolution of the law?

DC murder rate to 50 year low

Thats right... This is shaping up to be the first year since 1963 that the District has fewer than 100 homicides.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is very informative, thank you! Also great news for D.C.!

BTW...

In 1976, The District of Columbia passed the MOST DRACONIAN gun ban in the United States.... A complete ban on the ownership or possession of handguns... Despite over 20 years of its enforcement, D.C. earned the title of "MURDER CAPITAL OF AMERICA" in the 1990's, with over 400 homicides on average per year.

In 2008, The Supreme Court ruled that the D.C. ban was UNCONSTITUTIONAL... The anti gun crowd predicted there would be "Blood in the Street"... that only the ban was preventing the murder rate from being even worse.... But the following year the murder rate in D.C. dropped 25%.

And this year? 4 years after the dissolution of the law?

DC murder rate to 50 year low

Thats right... This is shaping up to be the first year since 1963 that the District has fewer than 100 homicides.

I reposted that!

Hopefully saturday i'll have pictures to contribute to this thread. :hunter:

I reposted that!

Hopefully saturday i'll have pictures to contribute to this thread. :hunter:

You didn't go gun shopping without me did you???

You didn't go gun shopping without me did you???

I realize I broke the cardinal LP Rule :eusa_shhh: but it's something I've had my eye on for quite some time and an acquaintance had one brand new for a good price.

I know you're not a big revolver fan, but this one should be good fun and a decent side arm for those CA Hogs.

S&W 627 Pro. N-Frame, 4" barrel, 8 rounds of .357.

Not my pic, but same gun.

DSC00091.jpg

Don't worry, i'll be looking for some consultation on a semi-auto pistol and AR based rifle soon.

S&W 627 Pro. N-Frame, 4" barrel, 8 rounds of .357.

i would get the cylinder chamfered with that many rounds.. it would make loading under pressure quite a bit easier! I got the action and trigger done on all my revolvers as well and it made shooting them much more enjoyable, if you DO do any work to it i would make sure the gunsmith specializes in wheel guns, they can get screwed up REALLY easily (timing off, over crowned, over chamfered, etc)

for S/A guns i say 1911 and never look back (i have a SA TRP and a Wilson and am in love with both)

a quick pic of my most heavily customized revolver (The gun is a S&W 65 K Frame, She started life as a police issued 4" stainless gun. The barrel was cut down to 3.25" and crowned, the butt was rounded the chambers chamfered and the entire gun was teflon coated a nice matte black. The action was done and the trigger was lightened to roughly 7.5 pounds. The coolest part is the dovetailed in 1911 trijicon front site.

revolver3.jpg

and my unfired blue python

colt8.jpg

and my pride and joy... RD, i have a feeling your gonna like this one: (brand "new" unfired P210)

P210everything.jpg

Thank you RD, excellent response!

I agreee. Way to put things in prospective!

I agreee. Way to put things in prospective!

I appreciate that.... And there is another thing to contemplate as well... I dont think, politically, the country could take a gun control move of any kind right now.... Not with everything else that's going on (Fiscal Cliff, Crippling Debt, Edge of 2nd recession in 3 years, rising prices, falling personal incomes, 8% unemployment, unprecedented political acrimony, the *mostly* tongue in cheek calls for succession, Fast & Furious, Libya etc)...

That would be it. It would LITERALLY shake this country apart...

Im not totally convinced that all of the gun extremists in Washington GET THAT... They have a way of insulating themselves from everything but cries of agreement... But I'm sure they would wake up to it pretty damned quick, when several (large and economically significant) state legislatures immediately vote to give D.C. the middle finger.

I realize I broke the cardinal LP Rule :eusa_shhh: but it's something I've had my eye on for quite some time and an acquaintance had one brand new for a good price.

I know you're not a big revolver fan, but this one should be good fun and a decent side arm for those CA Hogs.

You are dead to me....

Just kidding.. :icon_mrgreen:

i would get the cylinder chamfered with that many rounds.. it would make loading under pressure quite a bit easier! I got the action and trigger done on all my revolvers as well and it made shooting them much more enjoyable, if you DO do any work to it i would make sure the gunsmith specializes in wheel guns, they can get screwed up REALLY easily (timing off, over crowned, over chamfered, etc)

for S/A guns i say 1911 and never look back (i have a SA TRP and a Wilson and am in love with both)

I'm going to play with it a bit and see how she pans out. It's factory cut for moon clips so that should make reloading a nap.

Who did your trigger job? I was contemplating the Performance Center version of this gun but it's a damn $1200 revolver with a 6 month back order.

I'm probably going to stat with something mild for a S/A, been eyeballing a couple kimbers and a berretta @ ammobros. Want to put a few thousand rounds through the normal stuff before I even think about dumping big money on something in the range of a wilson, les baer, or springfield pro.

And then there is the range attention whore of the handgun world, a S&W 460. X-Frame (same as the 500), shoots a 45 caliber bullet, but in a huge case that will run over 2300fps. It lays down +/- 4x the ft-lb energy of a .45acp, but you can still shoot normal 45LC round in it. More versatile than the 500 with damn near the same energy on the high end.

I'm going to play with it a bit and see how she pans out. It's factory cut for moon clips so that should make reloading a nap.

Who did your trigger job? I was contemplating the Performance Center version of this gun but it's a damn $1200 revolver with a 6 month back order.

I'm probably going to stat with something mild for a S/A, been eyeballing a couple kimbers and a berretta @ ammobros. Want to put a few thousand rounds through the normal stuff before I even think about dumping big money on something in the range of a wilson, les baer, or springfield pro.

And then there is the range attention whore of the handgun world, a S&W 460. X-Frame (same as the 500), shoots a 45 caliber bullet, but in a huge case that will run over 2300fps. It lays down +/- 4x the ft-lb energy of a .45acp, but you can still shoot normal 45LC round in it. More versatile than the 500 with damn near the same energy on the high end.

the trigger job was done by John Robinson, he is arguably the best wheel gun gunsmith around.. I personally would stay away from kimbers cheaper guns... for the money there is much better options and if you get into the thousand dollar + kimbers you can have a TRP or beat up wilson... for a few hundred dollars you can get a Beretta 92 which is a terrific s/a gun.

Check out this work of art. This is what a $10K 1911 looks like

http://cabotgun.com/better-than-custom-191...t-grade-pistol/

Cabot_0204-e1339123994336.jpeg

One of their standard ones that cost $5.4K

CabotGunsJones.jpg

Ive always considered Wilson Combat or Les Baer and Ed Brown top tier when it comes to a custom 1911 but this is in a league of it's own. I guess one of these would be something you'd put on in a display case and never use. So pretty though.

the trigger job was done by John Robinson, he is arguably the best wheel gun gunsmith around.. I personally would stay away from kimbers cheaper guns... for the money there is much better options and if you get into the thousand dollar + kimbers you can have a TRP or beat up wilson... for a few hundred dollars you can get a Beretta 92 which is a terrific s/a gun.

Hmm, my father in law has a 92fs, I'll have to go try it out.

Yeah my starter budget for a S/A is in the $1200 range, but I'm pretty easily convinced to spend more lol.

Hmm, my father in law has a 92fs, I'll have to go try it out.

Yeah my starter budget for a S/A is in the $1200 range, but I'm pretty easily convinced to spend more lol.

haha a 92 can be had for 4-500 and a TRP can be had for 11-1200. another great option would be a HK usp

haha a 92 can be had for 4-500 and a TRP can be had for 11-1200. another great option would be a HK usp

For a non-1911, my pick is HK HK45 -- it's got LAV's and Hackathorn's DNA: http://pistol-training.com/articles/hk45-i...d-larry-vickers

For a 1911, my pick would be Colt Rail Gun.

For a metal-frame 9mm, Sig p226 is also a great alternative.

For a non-1911, my pick is HK HK45 -- it's got LAV's and Hackathorn's DNA: http://pistol-training.com/articles/hk45-i...d-larry-vickers

For a 1911, my pick would be Colt Rail Gun.

For a metal-frame 9mm, Sig p226 is also a great alternative.

The old sigs are nice, the newer ones have given me nothing but issues (spent more time at the factory Ben fixed than on the range, p238 = biggest POS ever.)

1911s come down to style and brand preference, I hate 1911s with rails, I just think it ruins the classic lines, but again, that's preference. when you get into the high end 1911's (les baer, Wilson, nighthawk, etc) you can't go wrong and it really comes down to which suits the buyer best.

As far as hk45 vs. usp-45 the Hk45 is a great choice.. To me its not as asthetically pleasing but more ergonomic as a carry gun and has a m1913 rail... with the "better" feel and ergonomics you are giving up mag capacity (not worth the sacrifice to me). Operationally they are the same, for a shooter with a bigger hand the usp is a better choice, and the tactical variant is the best choice as far as usp's go. Some other comparison points, If the buyer is a righty the ambi safety is pointless on the hk45 (I never "got" the need for an ambidextrous safety), the usp-t has an adjustable match trigger, bigger mag capacity and threaded barrel which would make it my choice over the "45", personally.

1911s come down to style and brand preference, I hate 1911s with rails, I just think it ruins the classic lines, but again, that's preference. when you get into the high end 1911's (les baer, Wilson, nighthawk, etc) you can't go wrong and it really comes down to which suits the buyer best.

It's all preference -- I agree. Let me clarify why the Colt Railgun would be my pick for 1911:

I look at 1911s like I look at ARs. For the most part, if it the military is using a certain manufacturer, then it's GTG. Equipment goes to the lowest bidder, but on the same token, there's a lot of testing that goes on to set a benchmark/standard for basis of comparison and measurement. If those high-dollar weapons meet or exceed the benchmark/standard set by the military, then more power -- you just have to ask yourself if those weapons were tested using the same protocol that the military uses in order to begin comparing. Anyway, the Colt Railgun was selected by MARSOC and I put much value in that.

I also look at 1911s and ARs like I look at cars. Some people do suspension, brake, wheels, and/or power upgrades before their car sees the track; while some people incrementally upgrade their cars as they become more experienced and begin to out-drive their car at the track. In a market saturated w/ 1911s and ARs, I like to start out w/ a solid foundation and do the upgrades as needed, than throw money at it from the start. Nothing wrong w/ either path.

All of my guns serve a purpose, which is to defend me and mine. A weapon that does not have the capability for a weapon light serves little purpose to me.

As far as hk45 vs. usp-45 the Hk45 is a great choice.. To me its not as asthetically pleasing but more ergonomic as a carry gun and has a m1913 rail... with the "better" feel and ergonomics you are giving up mag capacity (not worth the sacrifice to me). Operationally they are the same, for a shooter with a bigger hand the usp is a better choice, and the tactical variant is the best choice as far as usp's go. Some other comparison points, If the buyer is a righty the ambi safety is pointless on the hk45 (I never "got" the need for an ambidextrous safety), the usp-t has an adjustable match trigger, bigger mag capacity and threaded barrel which would make it my choice over the "45", personally.

If you want a threaded barrel, then there's the HK45 compact tactical (Mk24 Mod 0), or you can get the raised sights and threaded barrel from hkparts.net.

And if the ammo capacity of a 1911 doesn't bother you, then the ammo capacity of the HK45 shouldn't be an issue. The HK45/P30 is an evolution of the USP and brings much needed ergonomics. I love my USPs, but my P30 just feels damn nice in my hands (hehehe). I would never sell any of my HKs, but if I was buying my first gun, then I'd buy the HK45/P30.

But I see where you're coming from, I've got an FN FNP-45 Tactical and that has a 15rd magazine. Even with the smallest backstrap, the grip is bigger than the USP45. And it's a heavy beast when fully loaded. :)

WP_20121124_001.jpg

Finally got my AR put together but havent got a chance to shoot it yet unfortunately. Hopefully this weekend.

Spikes Tactical Upper and Lower reciever

Noveske Recon 16" barrel (5.56)

YHM Diamond free float rifle length rail

Spikes Enhanced Lower parts kit with NiB trigger group

WMD NiB bolt carrier group

Bravo Company charging handle

Spikes ST2 buffer and enhanced recoil spring

Magpul AFG2

Magpul CTR stock

Magpul BUIS2

Magpul BAD lever

Should run like a champ! Gonna run some rounds thru it to check function and make sure its good to go, then tear it apart for cerakote.

Found this picture going through my computer, wanted to share...

BTW...why no firearm subforum?

Seconded. We need. Firearm sub forum for sure.

Found this picture going through my computer, wanted to share...

GlockPic.jpg

BTW...why no firearm subforum?

This thread kindof accidentally turned into the firearms subforum... Its got 850 posts and 32,000 hits.... Over two years old, never stickied, and I dont think its ever been too far off the front page.... I just wanted to buy a new gun... Didnt envision it would turn into this....

I kinda like this as it is....

This thread kindof accidentally turned into the firearms subforum... Its got 850 posts and 32,000 hits.... Over two years old, never stickied, and I dont think its ever been too far off the front page.... I just wanted to buy a new gun... Didnt envision it would turn into this....

I kinda like this as it is....

That's pretty cool, I can see where you're coming from. It definitely deserves an archived listing if it ever came to an end....with some type of epic last post. I'm thinking exploding targets and a Ferrari.