I really need to buy a new gun...

Roman

Ok, after Sandy and the way animals started behaving, it's time to protect my shit. I need advice on a handgun and would a rifle or shotgun be a better "home protector", and which one?

My nightstand weapon is a silenced .45 pistol with a tac light. Leaves a big hole, won't damage my hearing, and I can shoot it one handed if need be. If I need anything more, then: 1) I've got serious problems, and 2) my AR is on standby.

After you get weapon(s), I would also take some carbine or pistol classes.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

does anyone here have a concealed carry permit?

Ironically I was just printing off the docs yesterday :) Luckily I am applying through the Riverside County Sheriff which is MUCH easier than LA, and the next to impossible (Unless you're RD) Orange County.

I've spent some time reading through calguns, lots of good information on what NOT to do.

The default answer is listen to RD.

This reminds me of a discussion I was having with some colleagues the other day. Semi-Auto or Revolver for CCW and Home Defense?

I have a tendency to lean on the side of a good revolver because they just work, all the time. My understanding is that with a semi-auto you run the risk of the clip springs going soft form being fully loaded for extended periods of time.

I'm really just looking for a reason to pick up a S&W 627. :hunter:

Semi-Auto or Revolver for CCW and Home Defense?

I have a tendency to lean on the side of a good revolver because they just work, all the time.

Yep revolver, they work all the time.

My understanding is that with a semi-auto you run the risk of the clip springs going soft form being fully loaded for extended periods of time.

I would be interested to hear what some of the more knowledgeable members have to say about this. My night stand guns are both filled to about half of magazine capacity because I heard the very same thing about springs failing. I have no idea if this is actually an effective measure to prevent failure or just a waste of capacity.

How common is spring failure on guns with magazines kept at full capacity? How do members of the military and law enforcement combat this since their guns are loaded constantly while on duty, and I highly doubt they empty the magazines when they are off duty.

I would be interested to hear what some of the more knowledgeable members have to say about this.

Me too.

I've read about this on numerous gun forums and haven't seen a consensus. Some say that mag spring fatigue is due to long term compression, some say it's due to cyclic fatigue. I'd be interested to hear some scientific data one way or the other.

Me too.

I've read about this on numerous gun forums and haven't seen a consensus. Some say that mag spring fatigue is due to long term compression, some say it's due to cyclic fatigue. I'd be interested to hear some scientific data one way or the other.

I know the engineering behind it, but what I don't know is the properties of the springs in real world conditions. By definition, a cyclic spring has a life of >10k cycles. I don't know many people who will go through 100,000 rounds in a single clip, but i'm sure they are out there.

But sitting at full compression for essentially 100% of it's life could cause a static failure, depending on the properties of the spring, and how close it is to coil bind (coil touching coil) at full compression.

This is one of those things I could over analyze into a 100 page report, and can also be answered with a we've used these for 5 years and 50k rounds and never suffered a single failure type of answer.

From an analysis point of view, it could happen, and that alone makes me revert to the essentially failsafe revolver.

Ironically I was just printing off the docs yesterday :) Luckily I am applying through the Riverside County Sheriff which is MUCH easier than LA, and the next to impossible (Unless you're RD) Orange County.

I've spent some time reading through calguns, lots of good information on what NOT to do.

The default answer is listen to RD.

You know Im a "Senior Founding Member" of CalCCW.com right?

http://www.calccw.com/Forums/members/romandad.html

The forum is a little quiet but if you need any help with Riverside, let me know... I can hook you up with some folks.

This reminds me of a discussion I was having with some colleagues the other day. Semi-Auto or Revolver for CCW and Home Defense?

I have a tendency to lean on the side of a good revolver because they just work, all the time. My understanding is that with a semi-auto you run the risk of the clip springs going soft form being fully loaded for extended periods of time.

I'm really just looking for a reason to pick up a S&W 627. :hunter:

Its kind of an old wives tale.... I guess theoretically, its possible that a spring will wear out over time from being under compression.... Ive never actually seen it happen, and I have some mags that have been filled for over a decade now... After that much time, RUST is a much more likely culprit to ruin your springs, your mags, and your whole fcuking GUN for that matter, than spring compression....

So, yeah... A good rule of thumb is: Take the ammo out of your gun (preferably by shooting the fcuking thing) at least once every ten years. And once youre done unloading it, CLEAN AND LUBE EVERYTHING!

And as for "Revolvers work"... The only guns I have ever had that ACTUALLY BROKE... To the point of being "This fcuking thing doesnt fcuking work and I cant figure out how to fix the goddamned thing" broke, are revolvers...

You know Im a "Senior Founding Member" of CalCCW.com right?

http://www.calccw.com/Forums/members/romandad.html

The forum is a little quiet but if you need any help with Riverside, let me know... I can hook you up with some folks.

I was not aware of that. :icon_pray: :icon_pray:

Roman, I owe you a nice dinner out sometime for all the help you've given me over the years. Much appreciated my friend. :icon_thumleft:

I was not aware of that. :icon_pray: :icon_pray:

Roman, I owe you a nice dinner out sometime for all the help you've given me over the years. Much appreciated my friend. :icon_thumleft:

Any time... Say hello over there... Tell them youre my friend.... Just, whatever you do... Don't call it a "CLIP"!!! You'll get teased mercilessly... :icon_mrgreen:

I am sorry but their is no way I would ever carry a revolver these days. Magazines do need to be replaced over time, esp M4/AR type magazines (in the tactical arena they are considered disposable). If you typically have a feed issue it is usually not your AR/M4 it is usually the magazine. If you are that concerned about the life of your magazines and do not use the gun at all but keep it loaded at all times then the start of every quarter make sure your loaded firearm's magazines are functioning properly. Pretty simple. Just like my batteries for my tactical gear - no matter what the battery is for every new year I replace every battery in every light, red dot, etc I own. All my magazine are always loaded except for the magpul magazines (magpul has a tendency to spread on the top over time).

My McMillan Tac50...

post-10287-1353112645_thumb.jpg

post-10287-1353112696_thumb.jpg

McMillan Tac 50. Here is the site: http://mcmillanusa.com/mcmillan-rifles-tactical-tac-50.php

Here is the information on the scope: http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/sc...-6-riflescopes/

Pricing is on both pages. I would recommend working with Andy if you are interested (tell him you were referred by Charlie): 623-582-9635

As stated earlier in this thread, my night stand weapon is a Smith and Wesson Governor loaded with Winchester PDX1 .410 rounds

Governor.jpeg

MuzzleBlast.jpg

Proper training is definitely important. Basic firearm handling and care is a must. When available, I'd recommend advanced self defense classes as well. Good ones will train you to use your firearm in high stress situations. Shooting at a still, paper target at the range with a resting heart rate of 70 bpm is one thing, being rudely awaken by an intruder, who is awake and alert, at 4 am is another. Shotguns are popular for home defense since they are so lethal at close range and obviously spread the shot pellets...creating a 'point and shoot' situation instead of a critical 'aim and shoot'. You have an average of 3 seconds to react in a critical situation. In a worse-case scenario, if someone were to barge into my bedroom in the middle of the night, I'm ready to fire 6 lethal .410 rounds just by reaching my hand to my night stand. By no means am I saying my gun is the 'end all be all' to home defense, but it's why it's my choice to be my first go-to until I'm able to arm myself better after the situation is accessed. In the end, any defense is better than no defense...I don't care if you have a .22 pistol at your side, it's better to be armed than not.

RedSHFT, great choice of ammo...good spread and will not go through walls and kill anything beyond what you are aiming to destroy.

RedSHFT, great choice of ammo...good spread and will not go through walls and kill anything beyond what you are aiming to destroy.

It seems to be a great choice with the projectiles used. I pray I never have to test that theory, except for maybe a couple of experiments at the range. The blast from the picture is from a Winchester AA clay round, I'd like to capture the blast from a PDX1 round :icon_mrgreen:

Two pictures from today when I shot my XD40. Kind of cool to see the recoil and bullet ejecting. Surprising my dad caught these pics with my phone, doubt they were the same shot though.

post-7086-1353737957_thumb.jpg

post-7086-1353737980_thumb.jpg

So there are a lot of rumors circulating about gun bans coming down fromt he POTUS and doing it without congressional approval. Ive heard resclassification is a possiblity or the UN arms treaty. Im curious what anyones thoughts are on this. What is possible, what is preventable and how?

So there are a lot of rumors circulating about gun bans coming down fromt he POTUS and doing it without congressional approval. Ive heard resclassification is a possiblity or the UN arms treaty. Im curious what anyones thoughts are on this. What is possible, what is preventable and how?

As for straight up gun control bills, The Democrats had the PRESIDENCY, THE HOUSE by OVERWHELMING MARGINS, and A FILIBUSTER PROOF MAJORITY IN THE SENATE in 2009-10.

If there was going to be a serious legislative gun control move it would have come THEN, when at least on PAPER, they had the power to get it passed... They don't have anything CLOSE to that type of power now...

The White House had it on the agenda... They paved the road... And Harry Reid told them it was a non-starter. Of course, he was facing re-election in 2010, so he doesn't have as much on the line PERSONALLY right now. But he would be GUARANTEED to LOSE 5 seats in the Senate in 2014 - Begich, Pryor, Landrieu, Baucus, and Shaheen. Those five votes are enough to ensure it doesn't get through the Senate. Add three or four others in shakey states in 2016, and its DEADER THAN DEAD IN THE SENATE.

Then go to the House... They would have to flip 16 Republicans, 16 Republicans who got RE-ELECTED WITH EASE, BECAUSE THEY HAVE BEEN A UNIFIED BACK-STOP AGAINST THE Democrats, AND who would ALL BE GUARANTEED TO BE OUT OF A JOB in 2 years... Not gonna happen.

So the next thing flown about is "Executive Order"... Executive order is really a NEGATIVE power... Its the power to CLARIFY existing law, or simply not enforce laws the executive disagrees with. The EXECUTIVE BRANCH has the power to ENFORCE laws... Well... With the "dream act" end around they simply STOPPED enforcing the law... They stopped deporting children of illegals. Viola! Problem solved!

I dont know how you enact stricter gun control by enforcing laws LESS... He could have the ATF hassle the FFLs more? Maybe... Or slow down the background check process? Sure... Make the NFA process even MORE of a PITA? Absolutely.. But that will have very little long term effect on the end consumer, and with pending budget cuts and fast and furious still on the menu, the ATF is on defense for a while (the flip side of that is, watch for them to do SOMETHING SPECTACULAR to prove they are still necessary. They have to justify their jobs... So if you're in the FFL business, or a gun buyer, MAKE SURE YOU CROSS YOUR Is and Dot your Ts[sic].)

As far as the U.N. Small Arms Treaty, he needs 2/3rds of the senate to ratify it, and he doesn't have the votes for that... Not to mention, for the time being at least, the Supreme Court would KILL IT upon arrival if it conflicts with the 2nd Amendment (which as its currently written, it doesnt really seem to- Its an export bill).