88 1/2 QV

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotta love it. :icon_thumleft: :icon_mrgreen:

http://gizmodo.com/sony-crams-3-700-blu-ra...dium=socialflow

Sony Crams 3,700 Blu-Rays' Worth of Storage in a Single Cassette Tape

Stupid hipster 80s fetishism notwithstanding, cassette tapes don't get much love. That's a shame, because magnetic tape is still a surprisingly robust way to back up data. Especially now: Sony just unveiled tape that holds a whopping 148 GB per square inch, meaning a cassette could hold 185 TB of data. Prepare for the mixtape to end all mixtapes.

Sony's technique, which will be discussed at today's International Magnetics Conference in Dresden, uses a vacuum-forming technique called sputter deposition to create a layer of magnetic crystals by shooting argon ions at a polymer film substrate. The crystals, measuring just 7.7 nanometers on average, pack together more densely than any other previous method.

The result: three Blu-Rays' worth of data can fit on one square inch of Sony's new wonder-tape.

Naturally, that kind of memory isn't going to go in the cassette deck on your ancient boom box any time soon. Sony developed the technology for long-term, industrial-sized data backup, a field where tape's slow write times and the time it takes to scroll through yards and yards of tape to find a single file aren't crippling problems.

Sony wouldn't say when or if this new type of tape is expected to hit the market, but when it does, it'll be a victory for the old school.

Took these two years ago while stopping by a buddy's shop. 2005 V8 Tacoma. It was seven years old at the time. Owner delivers for Red Express. Original motor, no bottom end work done. It was in for a leaking rear main seal and brakes. I'll have to ask him if he's seen it recently. Should be close to a million at this point if he's still driving it.

Love seeing super high mileage vehicles.

I know a guy on F-list ( a courier) who posted this as his sig last year:

'86 GTI, Red of course. (exciting racey car) 276,000 miles

'01 Golf TDI, silver. (new work car) 399,000 miles

'87 Golf, Polar Silver. (retired work car) 654,000 miles <- Gone to a new

home :(

I don't know if it's the microphone they used or what... but some of them sounded like farts. Totally reminded me of the innertube exhaust.

That is freaking awesome!

Ya maybe it can become some super new lightweight material that replaced carbon fiber. That would be awesome.

The really hard part is synthesizing large quantities of carbon nanotubes. I actually just presented on the topic, so if anyone has questions, ask!