Things that make you say DAMN!

88 1/2 QV

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Except that the F-35 was designed with different priorities and has a different purpose entirely, like comparing an F-15 with an A-7. The apples to semi-apples comp would be F-22 to Su-35.

The problem is that the F35 was designed with too many purposes... thus it fails at ALL of them.

The problem is that the F35 was designed with too many purposes... thus it fails at ALL of them.

For the money it should be possible to get 4-5 different planes that are each at least as good or better at 1/4-5 of the tasks. Only difference would be that you would have more planes on the air, more power and more talent flying, or 4-5 jets at as many different places. Has any F35 delivered yet?

Hey guys, I'm not getting into another F-35 debate. I'm just tired of this Flanker fanboy BS and comparing apples with oranges. You can love the F-35 or hate it and I might agree with you, but the only point above is that it's a different animal than the Su-35, that's all. It's comparing trucks and cars.

The moral of the story: Yes, Su-35 is a respectable threat. Yes, the Su-35 is a disposable piece of shit. Assessing an airshow demo for capabilities is like watching Peyton Manning throw the ball into a net and trying to figure out if he'll win the Super Bowl.

Hey guys, I'm not getting into another F-35 debate. I'm just tired of this Flanker fanboy BS and comparing apples with oranges.

What would classify as BS is investing a Trillion dollars (GAO estimate) and have nothing to show for it. Plus if we take the apples to oranges comparison it might mean the apple( F-35) would be rotten by the time one is hungry and thereby be unable to meet its basic purpose as food.

What would classify as BS is investing a Trillion dollars (GAO estimate) and have nothing to show for it. Plus if we take the apples to oranges comparison it might mean the apple( F-35) would be rotten by the time one is hungry and thereby be unable to meet its basic purpose as food.

You're in the wrong neighborhood arguing with the wrong person. http://www.lambopower.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=65106

You're in the wrong neighborhood arguing with the wrong person. http://www.lambopower.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=65106

Jesus. How in the hell have I managed to rack up nearly 1200 posts at this place??! :)

I'll just say that I'm sad that our government has devolved into such a state where we've got the F35 on one hand... and we are trying to mothball the A10 on the other hand.

They (the government) ignore the realities of what our soldiers want and know that works and has been there to really support them for a long time. With that being said, I certainly don't consider myself an expert in these fields and am not looking for an argument. Just wanted to state my opinion.

Never intended to start an argument if you think that is what this is. BTW I am not sure what you mean by wrong (or right ) person.

Jesus. How in the hell have I managed to rack up nearly 1200 posts at this place??! :)

I'll just say that I'm sad that our government has devolved into such a state where we've got the F35 on one hand... and we are trying to mothball the A10 on the other hand.

They (the government) ignore the realities of what our soldiers want and know that works and has been there to really support them for a long time. With that being said, I certainly don't consider myself an expert in these fields and am not looking for an argument. Just wanted to state my opinion.

You guys know SingleSeat does this for a living right? And by so this I mean fighter pilot. You guys are trying to tell Armstrong how to get to the moon here or Balboni how a Lamborghini should handle.

Well, we've already talked about it in a few other threads, which is why I was only emphasizing apples vs. oranges rather than opinions of the F-35. It's true that that Su airshow demo would be damn-thread worthy, but the comparison was unbalanced.

You guys know SingleSeat does this for a living right? And by so this I mean fighter pilot. You guys are trying to tell Armstrong how to get to the moon here or Balboni how a Lamborghini should handle.

:iamwithstupid:

It is the Wheels effect, "I know more than you because I read it on the inter webs, the fact that you do it for it living has no relevance." Arguing fighter jets with a fighter pilot is about as pointless as arguing how to grow giant avocados with Romandad.

It is the Wheels effect, "I know more than you because I read it on the inter webs, the fact that you do it for it living has no relevance." Arguing fighter jets with a fighter pilot is about as pointless as arguing how to grow giant avocados with Romandad.

I don't know how these things stack up against each other - but in it's own merit, that was awesome. I had no idea what these jets could achieve these days.

1:00 min, 2:03, 2:41, 3:00 etc.... Very cool! Take that gravity :frocket:

Well, we've already talked about it in a few other threads, which is why I was only emphasizing apples vs. oranges rather than opinions of the F-35. It's true that that Su airshow demo would be damn-thread worthy, but the comparison was unbalanced.

Point taken. :icon_thumleft:

The A-10 while an amazing aircraft in its own right is getting dated (I personally love the ugly bird and have been sharing the pattern with them for the past few weeks and its been a joy).

Saying that what the soldiers want is what we need to listen to would be like saying that you want to use a Saturn rocket to put your satellite up, you listen to NASA the people who know WTF they are talking about not the client. In this (admit ably crappy) analogy Ive made up the person who doesn't know what they want is the troop on the ground calling the strike, they just know they want fire put on a target not what kind of bomb or round (yes there are Jtac's who know but not always) The problem with the A-10 arises with its gun, That bad ass gun. It hasn't been able to be used as a tank buster in years. With the increase in armor on the vast majority of Main Battle tanks it wont penetrate their armor anymore , hell the A-10's claimed effectiveness will penetrate only about 10% of the M1 Abrams Armor depth at 500 meters range (multiple hits in the same spot may work in its favor but that usually doesn't happen) yes it may take a mobility kill if it hits side or rear but if its gonna go up against hardened armor it will just use its other armaments anyways. And there is the catch, if its not gonna use the main component the aircraft was designed around then why keep it, it becomes just another missile/bomb platform which an F-15/16/18/etc etc can do just as well. Don't get me wrong I have seen a number of strikes with A-10s and they do an absolute number on soft targets but for what the aircraft was designed for its no longer suited. Yes it does have the advantage of a longer dwell time but with F-16's running Yo Yo ops (when aircraft A is going out to fuel aircraft b is orbiting/striking, when aircraft a gets back to target aircraft b goes and refuels) its an unnoticeable gain.

Do I want to see the A-10 go, Hell no. Do I understand why they want to get rid of it, Yes. But then again I would have said the same exact thing for the Sr-71.

*As you said not trying to argue just showing the other side of the coin*

what the fcuk does lance armstrong have to do with going to the moon?

j/k

For those MTB fans, Redbull hardline with Gee Atherton

being one to enjoy hobby downhill MTB riding, that just makes my jaw drop, that takes some serious brass balls.

being one to enjoy hobby downhill MTB riding, that just makes my jaw drop, that takes some serious brass balls.

Yeah he came up short on a couple of those big hits too. I'd be me and Uzzi could handle most of that course. :lol2: :lol2: :icon_mrgreen: