Things that make you say DAMN!

88 1/2 QV

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those big guns going off are worthy of a "DAMN" but look at the movement of the ship.

ylQN4XS.jpg

Those big guns going off are worthy of a "DAMN" but look at the movement of the ship.

ylQN4XS.jpg

There is no movement. Each one of those guns is made to absorb the recoil. The ship wouldn't move a bit. :)

There is no movement. Each one of those guns is made to absorb the recoil. The ship wouldn't move a bit. :)

hmm...looking at the from tip of the ship it sure looks like the force moved it back...

hmm...looking at the from tip of the ship it sure looks like the force moved it back...

Don't believe me! I just have one of these: ;)

PiZi99r.png

I've also been on the Missouri many times as I help to maintain it, as well as having talked to a few people on it, and reading the technical specifications.

In all actuality though, the ship wouldn't move. Those 16" guns are made to recoil back into the ship. The waves you are seeing is from the shockwave. Those rounds can pierce through more than 27 feet of reinforced concrete, not to mention, that ship could have 27 rounds in the air heading towards a target before the first even hit it.

-Doc

Edit:

Here is a better image. The above looks more like a piece of art.

qAhWp34.png

From what I understand the old battle ships from back before destroyers replaced them had even bigger guns.

From what I understand the old battle ships from back before destroyers replaced them had even bigger guns.

Current destroyers usually only have a Five inch gun (compared to 16" guns on a battleship) or some with One-Armed Bandits as well. They also have CIWS and a few I believe have RAM, and some other missile systems, (I need to verify about the RAM). The Mighty Mo' was a WWII battleship and as basically as big as battleships got during the time period, for the most part. The Mo was retrofitted with two CIWS's and tomahawks during the gulf war, but there's nothing today in the fleet that compares with firepower of that. Small ships are the first line of defense for a Carrier.

the percussive force must be off the charts when on that ship though ?

Ive heard if you're in the wrong place at the wrong time you can actually have your teeth shattered. Any truth to that Doc K?

the percussive force must be off the charts when on that ship though ?

Ive heard if you're in the wrong place at the wrong time you can actually have your teeth shattered. Any truth to that Doc K?

I've never heard that, but could be true! There are/were guys, directly inside of each individual gun mount loading rounds and packing gunpowder, etc. while it could have been possible, it probably wasn't a common occurrence. Of course, these guns haven't been fired since the mid 90's. E weight of the projectiles is about the same as a VW Beatle.

I can tell you that standing 50 feet from a CIWS lighting up a target, my eyeballs felt like they were going to vibrate out of my skull. :D

Damn that's so scary! My friend just returned from the base camp where he just visited with his 10 year old son, unbelievably lucky, he was trying to contact some people he met during his trip but some aren't replying to his messages he fears them dead and he is preparing to go back and help with the search and rescue.

The guy in the Camaro was an idiot by passing on the left hand shoulder.

Here the government has come out and said they are going to start enforcing the keep right except to pass rule. They already enforce it in neighboring WA. Its a ticket if you are in the left and not passing. Left lane hogs are more dangerous because they cause idiots like the Camaro to do stupid things. Our government just raised some highway speed limits. With keep right except to pass, they hope to make it safer to raise them even more. Here its also a fine to cause passing on the right.

Our Friend Herb Hall, owes his life to his H1 Hummer. Check out his amazing story.

Herb was at a complete stop and was the first vehicle in line after exiting the freeway. As the light turned green, Herb processed just like anyone else would. Out the corner of his eye, he saw an 18 wheeler long haul truck heading toward him on the driver side. Herb explains “at that moment, everything happened in slow motion”, then WHAM!

The impact from the 18 wheeler rendered Herb unconscious for several moments. Coming back to consciousness he felt heat near his face. At first though, he believed his truck was on fire. What an intense way too come back to reality! With a sense of self preservation, Herb tried to get out of his now crushed H1 Hummer. A bystander rushed over to Herb and explained that his vehicle was not on fire and to remain in place until medical assistance arrived.

It turns out that the intense heat that Herb felt was coming from the radiator of the 18 wheeler. His Face was just inches away from the radiator!

The report determined that the 18 wheeler was going about 60 MPH when it ran the red light and slammed into Herb’s H1 with a full load. The 18 wheeler pushed the H1 20 yards before coming to a complete stop. Herbs Hummer 2003 Soft-Top was completely totaled but it saved his life. Herb walked away from this horrific accident with a little glass in his arm and extremely sore from head to toe.

“My hummer was my daily driver. I loved that truck and plan on having another as soon as I settle with the insurance company. Hummer H1 is the only way to drive!!!! “ – Herb

IMG_02461.jpg

http://www.predatorinc.com/hummer-blog/hum...merican-strong/