Lp700 Order Guide!

Allan-Herbie

Talking about sound systems, would anybody please explain what to look for regardless of what car you're getting. The description on the optional sound system for the LP 700-4 sounds real nice although it could all just be marketing talk which common folks are going to fall for.

"2 woofers in doors and 2 tweeters on dashboard" --> standard 2 way speaker system which is fine. Most likely the woofer is 6.5" as it has always been....best all around size for cars.

Neodymium magnets are nice and efficient, and found on better speakers so a good chance it's not cheap. Would be nice to know the materials of the speakers (e.g. paper, polypropylene on the woofers), and the fabric of the tweeters.

Class D digital amplifier....not the most powerful of amps, but can be decent with an EQ since there are no phase shifts in the digital domain. This is nitpicking. :icon_mrgreen:

When it comes to #s and sound (even specs and materials), almost none of it can matter at times. I can spend months (or even years) reading a speaker or an amp to death and it really will never tell you the whole story until you hear it. If you can learn just one thing about sound systems in general, it's to always trust yours ears over what you read.

For example, paper is often the best material for a woofer yet the best car audio woofer I've ever heard was a Nakamichi SP-60 which was made of polypropylene. (which in reality was about Nakamichi, the Lambo competing against VWs and Hondas, LOL).

When it comes down to it, it's all about the "voicing" in the end. This is how the Engineers tuning the car EQ the system...the "voice" so to speak..(warm, bright, thin, etc).

My guess is that historically, less time was spent doing this on Lambos than other cars. You can tune great equipment to sound bad, and bad equipment to sound ok.

When Bose makes a car sound decent, it's all in the tuning.....the parts are terrifyingly cheap.

My best guess is that the LP700-4 should sound pretty good, at least for the average consumer.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"2 woofers in doors and 2 tweeters on dashboard" --> standard 2 way speaker system which is fine. Most likely the woofer is 6.5" as it has always been....best all around size for cars.

Neodymium magnets are nice and efficient, and found on better speakers so a good chance it's not cheap. Would be nice to know the materials of the speakers (e.g. paper, polypropylene on the woofers), and the fabric of the tweeters.

Class D digital amplifier....not the most powerful of amps, but can be decent with an EQ since there are no phase shifts in the digital domain. This is nitpicking. :icon_mrgreen:

When it comes to #s and sound (even specs and materials), almost none of it can matter at times. I can spend months (or even years) reading a speaker or an amp to death and it really will never tell you the whole story until you hear it. If you can learn just one thing about sound systems in general, it's to always trust yours ears over what you read.

For example, paper is often the best material for a woofer yet the best car audio woofer I've ever heard was a Nakamichi SP-60 which was made of polypropylene. (which in reality was about Nakamichi, the Lambo competing against VWs and Hondas, LOL).

When it comes down to it, it's all about the "voicing" in the end. This is how the Engineers tuning the car EQ the system...the "voice" so to speak..(warm, bright, thin, etc).

My guess is that historically, less time was spent doing this on Lambos than other cars. You can tune great equipment to sound bad, and bad equipment to sound ok.

When Bose makes a car sound decent, it's all in the tuning.....the parts are terrifyingly cheap.

My best guess is that the LP700-4 should sound pretty good, at least for the average consumer.

Thanks for the info Fellippe, this is very much appreciated! I got a couple questions when it comes to tuning and looking at parts of the stereo system.

Tuning

1. What is EQ?

2. Does it cost a lot to get someone to tune a sound system, can an ametuer tune it themselves?

Parts

1. Are powerful amps what you're looking for when you want the sound to be crisp clear ( Like the ones found on the Lexus LS, its the best one i've heard but there should be something better since I'm no expert.) and not sound like the synthetic fake crap you hear on so many "high end" stereos put in tuner cars at autoshows.

2. The bass, a couple of coworkers who I used to work with were really proud of their souped up sound system on their cars... only to still fall against the standards of the LS's own audio equipment. To summarize, their bass shakes the car but it has no "vibration effect" and feels "shallow" Is this equipment or tuning (or both) if its equpment are we just looking at the subwoofer or do tweeters have a huge effect on the bass as well?

Thanks for answering

Thanks for the info Fellippe, this is very much appreciated! I got a couple questions when it comes to tuning and looking at parts of the stereo system.

Tuning

1. What is EQ?

2. Does it cost a lot to get someone to tune a sound system, can an ametuer tune it themselves?

Parts

1. Are powerful amps what you're looking for when you want the sound to be crisp clear ( Like the ones found on the Lexus LS, its the best one i've heard but there should be something better since I'm no expert.) and not sound like the synthetic fake crap you hear on so many "high end" stereos put in tuner cars at autoshows.

2. The bass, a couple of coworkers who I used to work with were really proud of their souped up sound system on their cars... only to still fall against the standards of the LS's own audio equipment. To summarize, their bass shakes the car but it has no "vibration effect" and feels "shallow" Is this equipment or tuning (or both) if its equpment are we just looking at the subwoofer or do tweeters have a huge effect on the bass as well?

Thanks for answering

EQ = Equalizer or equalization

Tuning = there really is no right or wrong; whatever turns your crank. E.g. 95% of the car stereo are bass heavy. But if you mean accurate sound, the only answer is to listen to live music & compare that to your system. Key here is "matching"; as to what goes well with what else, it's all an accumulation of experience.

Parts (1) No, many factors. Just the amp itself consist of damping factors, slew rate, impedance etc... Cables matters as do the speakers (reread Fellippe's paragraph on woofer's materials). And each piece of hardware has its own tonal signature --- Fellippe's reference to voicing. So you like the sound of the Lexus LS' Mark Levinson system, i.e. that sound to you is not synthetic?

(2) Bass: as above-said, it's matching. Phasing and impedance play a big role. Crossover will play a vital role (that's the circuit that determines which speakers will handle what frequencies, i.e. which part of the music will be handled by the tweeter and which by the midrange/woofer etc...) Your "vibration effect & shallow" will depend on the materials used behind the loudspeaker for dampening. EQ would help too but most car stereo has exaggerated bass anyway.

Class-D amps Fellippe? Ok, no phase shifts but they are "switching" amps for crying outloud! :icon_mrgreen: :P (just kidding) The cabin surface materials and geometry plays quite a role to the voicing of the stereo. I dare say given the geometry & dimension of the interior of a Lambo and most exotic cars, it's most unlikely that any stereo will sound good/accurate. But then again, the real music in those cases are from the engine bay. Unless Lambo has taken the matter to heart, I highly doubt the stereo in the new flagship will sound good and that's with or without the optional upgrade. Would be interesting to learn how the sound is in a carbon fibre tub environment.

Over to you Fellippe :) ...

(Sorry for the OT)

EQ = Equalizer or equalization

Tuning = there really is no right or wrong; whatever turns your crank. E.g. 95% of the car stereo are bass heavy. But if you mean accurate sound, the only answer is to listen to live music & compare that to your system. Key here is "matching"; as to what goes well with what else, it's all an accumulation of experience.

Parts (1) No, many factors. Just the amp itself consist of damping factors, slew rate, impedance etc... Cables matters as do the speakers (reread Fellippe's paragraph on woofer's materials). And each piece of hardware has its own tonal signature --- Fellippe's reference to voicing. So you like the sound of the Lexus LS' Mark Levinson system, i.e. that sound to you is not synthetic?

(2) Bass: as above-said, it's matching. Phasing and impedance play a big role. Crossover will play a vital role (that's the circuit that determines which speakers will handle what frequencies, i.e. which part of the music will be handled by the tweeter and which by the midrange/woofer etc...) Your "vibration effect & shallow" will depend on the materials used behind the loudspeaker for dampening. EQ would help too but most car stereo has exaggerated bass anyway.

Class-D amps Fellippe? Ok, no phase shifts but they are "switching" amps for crying outloud! :icon_mrgreen: :P (just kidding) The cabin surface materials and geometry plays quite a role to the voicing of the stereo. I dare say given the geometry & dimension of the interior of a Lambo and most exotic cars, it's most unlikely that any stereo will sound good/accurate. But then again, the real music in those cases are from the engine bay. Unless Lambo has taken the matter to heart, I highly doubt the stereo in the new flagship will sound good and that's with or without the optional upgrade. Would be interesting to learn how the sound is in a carbon fibre tub environment.

Over to you Fellippe :) ...

(Sorry for the OT)

Woah... those are some really detailed answers.... I'm assuming that phase shift is just how sounds changes when it travels? Thanks VCR I appreciate the answers very much, curious, since you only listen to the engine bay's orchestra during spirited driving, ( and no one would try to dispute that a Superleggera sounds mighty fine) when would you use a car stereo?

Woah... those are some really detailed answers.... I'm assuming that phase shift is just how sounds changes when it travels? Thanks VCR I appreciate the answers very much, curious, since you only listen to the engine bay's orchestra during spirited driving, ( and no one would try to dispute that a Superleggera sounds mighty fine) when would you use a car stereo?

Actually, no. Phase shift --- to make a long explanation short, it has to do with polarity and would affect the sound, the bass in particular.

My G-SL did not come with a stereo; I opted it out --- just as I liked it and how a true SL should be. The car stereo belongs to a DD and even that's primarily used for news & traffic report. Any car music, at best, is for sheer background music only to ease the boredom during heavy traffic. True music should be enjoyed live or at least through a proper set up at home. (Hope you don't mind this "hardcore" answer. :) )

Fellippe/Roy, do either of you know what's included in the branding package.

1. Is this the color stitching on the headrest and color center caps? Anything else? spec'd my car yesterday and included it, but no one seems to know what all is included.. madness, right.

2. Other question, and this is key. If you don't do the parking sensor/backup cam, will you get a smooth front bumper or will it be the same bumper but just with plugs (ugh!!!). I wish they had used the newer tech where the sensors are behind a thin film but keep the lines of the bumper. The sensors on the car really does take away from the otherwise smooth lines.

3. Last question, could you get the back up cam, without the sensors?

If you guys have contacts at the factory to answer those, it would greatly help as I know a few of us have these questions--and no answers so far.

Im finding the same problem,i saw the car too.There is nothing to take from my lp640 as reference except colors.Im going to geneva to see more of it,but thats not helping me now.

Fellippe/Roy, do either of you know what's included in the branding package.

1. Is this the color stitching on the headrest and color center caps? Anything else? spec'd my car yesterday and included it, but no one seems to know what all is included.. madness, right.

2. Other question, and this is key. If you don't do the parking sensor/backup cam, will you get a smooth front bumper or will it be the same bumper but just with plugs (ugh!!!). I wish they had used the newer tech where the sensors are behind a thin film but keep the lines of the bumper. The sensors on the car really does take away from the otherwise smooth lines.

3. Last question, could you get the back up cam, without the sensors?

If you guys have contacts at the factory to answer those, it would greatly help as I know a few of us have these questions--and no answers so far.

The branding package should be the Lambo logo on the headrests and and script on the dash(didn't come on your SL). The front bumper you would think would be smooth without the sensors but you should get your dealer to get a factory rep on the phone to answer those questions. I don't love the sensors but I think they will be very helpful on this car as the visibility to me was worse than the 640 and it may also take some time getting used to the size of this car and knowing where you're at with all those crazy angles. My .02 cents.

The new Lamborghini Aventador LP700-4 hasn’t been officially announced yet but one of the first registrations is already offered for sale at Auto Salon Singen. The ad reveals that the particular Lamborghini Aventador LP700-4 offered has 700hp and an automatic gearbox. The asking price excluding taxes is € 260,420 including a possible margin for Auto Salon Singen.

This means previous reports of a 35% price increase compared to the previous Lamborghini Murcielago LP640 are not true. The release of the new Lamborghini Aventador LP700-4 is planned for the Geneva Motor Show 2011 this March.

http://www.gtspirit.com/2011/01/03/lamborg...p700-4-pricing/

Tuning

1. What is EQ?

Parts

Thanks for answering

I apologize for being absent all of this time.....I didn't see any response for awhile, so I thought this thread died. :icon_mrgreen:

Charles, amps are IMO the most important part of an audio system, home or car. If you want to do real justice to a system, then it starts here. The best amps provide a lot of strength and weight in the midrange, so your music sounds like music and not some tinny sound coming from speakers. The music will sound more in the cabin, more defined, and you also will have better dynamics and bass.

As for bass that shakes the car and does not MOVE you, very simple:

Too much deep bass (~30-60 hz) and not enough midbass (~60-300 hz).

Low bass is not musical...AND....is heard more outside the car than inside! Just the nature of a very deep bass wave...and helps to explain why the guy in the car isn't dying when it seems like he should be. :lol2:

Most likely your buddies had a lot of subs generating a lot of deep bass with no attention paid to the midbass which would mostly come from the woofers in the doors. Probably no amplification on it, or just bad tuning.

I can literally write a wheels like post on this subject alone, but for now focus on the woofers in your doors. I can attest that just one 6.5" in each door, properly braced, run off a good amp can deliver satisfying results. Of course you would like to have some subs if possible to reinforce it and give you more SPL capability...

If you want to get me excited over this stuff, try putting *2* 6.5s in each door. :icon_super:

I wouldn't advise that in a Lambo, but in a regular car, definitely worth trying.

Tuning is an art form and like VCR says it really requires a good understanding of what the sound should be like. Tuning a stock system will have very little controls typically....if it sounds good, leave it (maybe add subs). Its a heavy issue to discuss hypothetically....when you are ready to go, we can go at it properly.

VCR, I know we probably won't see eye to eye on the car audio thing....but I won't give up on you. :icon_mrgreen:

The system below isn't on the Audio Note or Western Electric caliber, but it's pretty good and 100% necessary to retire from car audio. :icon_thumleft:

post-1098-1294100096.jpg

good news on the pricing if it works out to be true.

The Singen price looks 50-70 eur too light. I wonder how real it is.

Over here a fully optioned car with AP colour scheme is chf 500k, inc 8% sales tax. That's about chf 85k less than a fully optioned 670SV when they were new.

Interesting Andrew, price here is around £250 +potential £30-40 of options so total £290 which is the same as specced SV, so a max price of around $450,000 in US terms on todays conversion rate

If it is priced similarly with the SV it will suck for us because the SV here was around $1mil the LP640 around $700k mark it will also suck for Lambo because it will price itself out of the market here in my opinion.

I can't see them selling more than 5 to 10 units a year at that rate

Let's just wait and see.

If it is priced similarly with the SV it will suck for us because the SV here was around $1mil the LP640 around $700k mark it will also suck for Lambo because it will price itself out of the market here in my opinion.

I can't see them selling more than 5 to 10 units a year at that rate

Let's just wait and see.

i thought it was 799 plus on-roads? :eusa_think:

Actually, no. Phase shift --- to make a long explanation short, it has to do with polarity and would affect the sound, the bass in particular.

My G-SL did not come with a stereo; I opted it out --- just as I liked it and how a true SL should be. The car stereo belongs to a DD and even that's primarily used for news & traffic report. Any car music, at best, is for sheer background music only to ease the boredom during heavy traffic. True music should be enjoyed live or at least through a proper set up at home. (Hope you don't mind this "hardcore" answer. :) )

I don't mind that answer at all. Its about how you enjoy your life, whether its experiencing state of the art audio equipment or driving super-cars. I'm curious as to the type of music you listen to though, I assume its classic since you use live music to compare sound fidelity. I guess my generation has been somewhat corrupted as we are so used to listening to synthetic instruments and current pop music just doesn't sound right live.....

Could someone please explain what the passive pedestrian protection system is on the lp 700-4?

they designed it to be so low and sharp that if a pedestrian is hit, their legs are sliced off with one clean motion and hence there is no trauma to the vital organs :)

I imagine it is like this http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/127250-accident...what-i-did.html but more expensive.

Maybe not. Quoted from Nissan UK from the article:

"This innovative pop up bonnet system is required as there is insufficient clearance between the bonnet and the top of the engine to comply with the European directive 70/156/ EEC as amended by 2003/ 102/ EC for pedestrian safety."