Occupy a bathtub already

lambornima

I heard a wise person once say, " You could take all the money in the world and divide it up equally and within 2 years it will be right back where it started." Foolish people will continue to be foolish and smart people....well you know how it goes. Which goes right back to Roman Dad's statement of Liberty vs Equality.

so true.

Everything being equal at the start, people will not finish the same.

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what do you get when you put a bunch of needy, opportunists looking for a hand out together?

A bunch of lying cheating thieves.

I meant the headbang as, why do you own a $5,500 laptop yet are complaining about paying your bills, etc?

I heard a wise person once say, " You could take all the money in the world and divide it up equally and within 2 years it will be right back where it started." Foolish people will continue to be foolish and smart people....well you know how it goes. Which goes right back to Roman Dad's statement of Liberty vs Equality.

:iamwithstupid: Money will always find its rightful owner.

:iamwithstupid: Money will always find its rightful owner.

Then I better stop playing so hard to get because money is having a tough time finding me.

It seems both rich and poor have a serious problem in this country - greed and envy.

Not THIS COUNTRY.

Greed and envy are HUMAN traits. We USED to be taught a moral code that ENCOURAGES us to SUPPRESS those traits, at least to the point where they VIOLATE others rights. But at some point we stopped believing in such silly notions as Morality.

Capitalism recognizes that humans will always have SOME level of greed and envy. Human Nature is IMPOSSIBLE to change COMPLETELY. And SOME level of greed and envy are GOOD (I see my neighbors fancy car and want one too... So I go to work, and my family benefits. I see Bill Gates' house and want one too... So I try to invent a cure for cancer- and everybody benefits). Greed and ENVY become BAD (what we used to call "Evil" but we're far too enlightened to beleive in such absolutes) when they cause us to TAKE WHAT BELONGS TO OUR NEIGHBOR, OR WISH HIM ILL BECAUSE WE ARE JEALOUS of him.

Does this surprise you?

The groups entire message is "Rich people should give us what they have"- We haven't earned it... We haven't worked for it. But we're going to take it.... By intimidation or force if necessary. We have a word for that- THEFT.

And once you've bought into the idea that somebody ELSE's stuff SHOULD be YOURS, for the very fact that YOU WANT IT, then ripping off a laptop is easy.

This isnt really about RICH people.... This is about the ENVY and GREED of the protestors. How MUCH somebody else has is really irrelevant to the equation- 'If they have MORE THAN ME, THEY'RE "RICH." And the RICH don't deserve what they have. And since they don't deserve it, I can TAKE IT.'

Their answer to "Corporate Greed" is "GIVE IT TO ME".

You have to be blind not to appreciate the irony in that.

This is exactly what ticks me off about these protests. Who the hell are you to expect to receive my hard earned money. When my family came here 20 years ago my parents had $200 to their name. That first night five of us slept in a one bedroom apartment on a total of two wet mattresses that were dragged in from the alley. Even though both of my parents had prestigious jobs previously, my dad went to deliver pizzas driving around until 3am and mom went to beauty school all while taking English classes at a community college. My grandmother, who was in her 70s at that time, even went to those classes! And my sister went to school full time while working a 40+ hour week at the laundromat. No one felt entitled to anything. You see something nice, you wok for it. And if you are successful at what you do, then more power to you.

And LOL at someone having their $5500 Mac stolen. These people have absolutely no concept of the value of money or more importantly the value of being rewarded based on their own actions. Makes me sick.

Not THIS COUNTRY.

Greed and envy are HUMAN traits. We USED to be taught a moral code that ENCOURAGES us to SUPPRESS those traits, at least to the point where they VIOLATE others rights. But at some point we stopped believing in such silly notions as Morality.

Capitalism recognizes that humans will always have SOME level of greed and envy. Human Nature is IMPOSSIBLE to change COMPLETELY. And SOME level of greed and envy are GOOD (I see my neighbors fancy car and want one too... So I go to work, and my family benefits. I see Bill Gates' house and want one too... So I try to invent a cure for cancer- and everybody benefits). Greed and ENVY become BAD (what we used to call "Evil" but we're far too enlightened to beleive in such absolutes) when they cause us to TAKE WHAT BELONGS TO OUR NEIGHBOR, OR WISH HIM ILL BECAUSE WE ARE JEALOUS of him.

Moral code was eliminated when we decided that religion had no place in schools or anywhere other than a church.

Our money says "in God we trust" just never bring it up in a school.

Moral code was eliminated when we decided that religion had no place in schools or anywhere other than a church.

Our money says "in God we trust" just never bring it up in a school.

I disagree completely. Forcing people to pray in schools is immoral.

Morality comes from the home and that's where the breakdown is. Too many selfish people popping out kids but not paying attention to them or teaching them properly, and ignoring good morality themselves.

While religion has a good set of rules of morality, forcing beliefs of mythical creatures on people is malarkey.

Morality comes from the home and that's where the breakdown is. Too many selfish people popping out kids but not paying attention to them or teaching them properly, and ignoring good morality themselves.

While religion has a good set of rules of morality, forcing beliefs of mythical creatures on people is malarkey.

Not forcing prayer, but a belief in something in which a moral code lives. We could debate different religions for years, most that I know of come with a code and our fore fathers lived and created this country on a code of respect and conduct regardless of religion type.

I agree ... Religion doesnt belong in school....

BUT MORALITY DOES. And don't for a second think it isn't. When you start teaching Robin Hood instead of The Golden Rule, you get a generation like this.

There are MORAL ABSOLUTES. Yes.... Religions usually emphasize them in their texts.... That doesnt make them any less valid.

Dont Lie

Dont Steal

Dont Murder

Dont Envy

Dont Cheat

Secularists can teach these morals on the basis that they hurt somebody else and nobody should object... The Religious will still know the real reason to teach them is because they hurt the person who does them.

BUT MORALITY DOES. And don't for a second think it isn't. When you start teaching Robin Hood instead of The Golden Rule, you get a generation like this.

There are MORAL ABSOLUTES. Yes.... Religions usually emphasize them in their texts.... That doesnt make them any less valid.

Dont Lie

Dont Steal

Dont Murder

Dont Envy

Dont Cheat

Secularists can teach these morals on the basis that they hurt somebody else and nobody should object... The Religious will still know the real reason to teach them is because they hurt the person who does them.

Just look at the pledge allegience.

Not forcing prayer, but a belief in something in which a moral code lives. We could debate different religions for years, most that I know of come with a code and our fore fathers lived and created this country on a code of respect and conduct regardless of religion type.

Dont Lie

Dont Steal

Dont Murder

Dont Envy

Dont Cheat

I agree with you guys completely (thanks Scott for your well thought out response too :icon_thumleft:) . Morality should be taught. I know that the basis of all the major religions is teaching morality. I think the other parts of the religion is why religion should not be in schools.

I don't know where the breakdown happened. Where generalized morality took a back seat to one for one and none for all. Like I said before, I think a lot of pop culture is to blame. Most of the people on this board and people we generally interact with are quite intelligent, but there are a lot of less intelligent people out there who are easily influenced. They are taught somewhere that they should get everything someone else has just because. Until there is a shift to a paradigm of contentment or acceptance of your station in life at the current time then there will be problems. I'm not saying desires or reasons to try to achieve should be squashed, but rather live within your means until you improve your means should be the basic paradigm. It's so simple yet so ignored.

Most of the people on this board and people we generally interact with are quite intelligent, but there are a lot of less intelligent people out there who are easily influenced. They are taught somewhere that they should get everything someone else has just because. Until there is a shift to a paradigm of contentment or acceptance of your station in life at the current time then there will be problems. I'm not saying desires or reasons to try to achieve should be squashed, but rather live within your means until you improve your means should be the basic paradigm. It's so simple yet so ignored.

Television, reality programs, weak achievement, bike helmets, no losers in school athletics, regulated minimum wage, helicopter parents, facebook, avoidance of a necessary blue collar job, online presence, various tools that make connection a brisk. More individualism less collectivism. Less feeling of belonging, and hence super ego via adhering to mores of the group. Do whatever you want, act however you like.

You can't believe in the Golden rule when you believe you are God creating your own universe.

I caught a little bit of the Dave Ramsey show today where he had supporters call in. Most of these people dont even understand what they are protesting. Mad at CEOs for making $10 Million a year, more just jealous, yet artist who make lots more than that they dont care about. These people are kinda funny. Only one caller while I was listening was actually informed and he found out he wasnt a supporter of Occupy Wall Street.

I caught a little bit of the Dave Ramsey show today where he had supporters call in. Most of these people dont even understand what they are protesting. Mad at CEOs for making $10 Million a year, more just jealous, yet artist who make lots more than that they dont care about. These people are kinda funny. Only one caller while I was listening was actually informed and he found out he wasnt a supporter of Occupy Wall Street.

Ignorance is bliss, it's a flashmob mentality of "public outcry" these people don't know their asshole from a hole in the ground.

Television, reality programs, weak achievement, bike helmets, no losers in school athletics, regulated minimum wage, helicopter parents, facebook, avoidance of a necessary blue collar job, online presence, various tools that make connection a brisk. More individualism less collectivism. Less feeling of belonging, and hence super ego via adhering to mores of the group. Do whatever you want, act however you like.

You can't believe in the Golden rule when you believe you are God creating your own universe.

I agree with parts - especially the overall less feeling of belonging, over-individualism, over-emphasis on not wanting to hurt people's feelings (there are winners and losers in life - get used to it).

However... What's with bike helmets and minimum wage? :eusa_think:

However... What's with bike helmets and minimum wage? :eusa_think:

I'm going going to speculate he was referencing the over-protective mantra that society abides by now day. Bike helmets were the turning point for using protection for things most could do when growing up, I don't think he believes bicycle helmets are a bad idea. Just the "over-protective mother" who makes her kids wear helmets, knee and elbow pads for playing in the yard.

In regard to minimum wage, as it climbs so does the cost of things in a nutshell. He may be eluding to people should be paid biased on their merits, not because they are breathing.

I'm going going to speculate he was referencing the over-protective mantra that society abides by now day. Bike helmets were the turning point for using protection for things most could do when growing up, I don't think he believes bicycle helmets are a bad idea. Just the "over-protective mother" who makes her kids wear helmets, knee and elbow pads for playing in the yard.

In regard to minimum wage, as it climbs so does the cost of things in a nutshell. He may be eluding to people should be paid biased on their merits, not because they are breathing.

:iamwithstupid: bingo....and if he didnt mean that....well tahts what he should have meant!