Occupy a bathtub already

lambornima

Interesting article from Rolling Stone...

It is interesting, but like most everything that is said by the left it is taken out of context in an attempt to support something that is the opposite of what the original speaker intended. Reagan was attempting to rally support for the 1986 tax reform act, which was supposed to be revenue neutral and would allow the government to lower marginal tax rates and broaden the base by eliminating a lot of complicated deductions. It proposed to lower the top marginal rate by 10%. This is the exact opposite of what Obama and the Dems are trying to do, which is to increase marginal rates on the "rich" (as defined by them) and generate more revenue for them to spend. What Reagan was proposing is very similar to what Paul Ryan had in his budget that passed the House, and to what a number of other Republicans have floated, and to what Obama's own bipartisan Simpson-Bowles Commission recommended to fix the deficit (which he promptly shit-canned because it is inconsistent with his worldview and that of his base). In other words, offering this Reagan anecdote as evidence that the Republican party has changed dramatically is ridiculous, but it will undoubtedly deceive some people. Kind of like screaming about horrendous "cuts" to government spending all the time that are really just reductions in the rate of spending growth. Dishonest, but effective.

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like LAPD is going to break it up Monday Night....

I have a friend who is a reserve w/ LAPD... he wrote the following:

I have spent thousands of hours volunteering my "free" time to the city of LA over the past 10 years. I love doing it, but I am dismayed that the city is so willing to give the "Occupiers" free office space and other perks when it can't apparently afford to equip me and others in my position with basic equipment like radios, or buy new police cars or pay cash OT to the full timers. Not to mention that if there was any money to be used for such things the occupiers have bled it out of the city through all the extra city services they have made necessary. Worst of all is that the occupiers apparently have no goals or objectives other than to make themselves "victims" of good, hard working cops who are tasked with enforcing valid laws and lawful orders for the benefit of the public - laws and orders that the occupiers feel have no application to them and which they defy just in hopes of being able to cry about police brutality to the news media. Time for the occupiers to go home, get jobs and be an asset rather than a detriment to the community, without any appeasement, incentives or freebies.

^ awesome! bring on the pepper spray haha.

here is a hilarious photo a friend took from san francisco of a protestor. ( they now dont even know what city they are protesting in hahaha )

photo-3.jpg

^^^^ lmao put up a sign at black friday to make it look like a protest, too funny.

It is interesting, but like most everything that is said by the left it is taken out of context in an attempt to support something that is the opposite of what the original speaker intended. Reagan was attempting to rally support for the 1986 tax reform act, which was supposed to be revenue neutral and would allow the government to lower marginal tax rates and broaden the base by eliminating a lot of complicated deductions. It proposed to lower the top marginal rate by 10%. This is the exact opposite of what Obama and the Dems are trying to do, which is to increase marginal rates on the "rich" (as defined by them) and generate more revenue for them to spend. What Reagan was proposing is very similar to what Paul Ryan had in his budget that passed the House, and to what a number of other Republicans have floated, and to what Obama's own bipartisan Simpson-Bowles Commission recommended to fix the deficit (which he promptly shit-canned because it is inconsistent with his worldview and that of his base). In other words, offering this Reagan anecdote as evidence that the Republican party has changed dramatically is ridiculous, but it will undoubtedly deceive some people. Kind of like screaming about horrendous "cuts" to government spending all the time that are really just reductions in the rate of spending growth. Dishonest, but effective.

:icon_thumleft: In addition, multiples times the Republican party did give in to raising taxes in order to increase revenues, all that happened was the government increased spending. Reagan fell for it with a tax increase, the Congress promised him they'd reduce spending by about $3 for every $1 of increased tax revenue. He signed the tax increase, upon which the Congress then reneged on its promise and passed an appropriations bill that increased spending. Reagan vetoed the bill and Congress overrode his veto.

Then George H. W. Bush thought he could make history by signing a tax increase and balancing the budget. The Congress again promised they'd reduce spending (I think by a dollar for every dollar of increased tax revenue). Bush signed the tax increase and the Congress did no such thing and the budget was not balanced. When Bill Clinton came into office, he had promised not to raise taxes, but then said the deficit was too large, so we had to raise them anyway, and he signed a tax increase. However, at the same time, he pushed ofr a new entitlement ("Hillarycare"). The Republicans did it too, George W. Bush signed tax cuts based on the idea that they would increase tax revenue, but then the Rpeublicans spent money excessively.

So the Republican party is very suspicious of the whole "raise taxes and do spending cuts" bit because what usually happens is the spending only increases.

IMO, that has to have been some of the most watered-down pepper spray I've ever seen. If people get pepper sprayed, especially to THAT degree, they should have been running around crying in agony, not just sitting there.

Yep. He nailed it. People want to make it seem like there's more to it then there is. This is all there is

Yeah, he put it clear as fricking day. More people need to see this. MOAR!

Yeah, he put it clear as fricking day. More people need to see this. MOAR!

My understanding is its blowing up the internet... At the current rate, everybody in the world will have heard it by this time tomorrow....

My understanding is its blowing up the internet... At the current rate, everybody in the world will have heard it by this time tomorrow....

Speaking of videos people need to see,this ones had 150,000 views in the same time.

What in the name of sweet Jesus fcuk is going on?!?

I think Adam is right on. So much so I posted it on the internet. A friend of mine replied with this video. http://www.theotherschoolofeconomics.org/?p=2499 It's a documentry called The Inside Job. Watch about 30 percent so far.

Inside Job is a good movie. I feel it really shows the rotation of people in and out of the financial and political sectors. The movie did a good job providing insight to the inner workinga of the financials, their knowledge of bad investments, how they continued to sell bad investments to investors, took out insurance policies on them, received compensation tax free when entering the government, who pushed for what legislation, etc.

The one problem I have with that movie is that it makes everyone outside the financial and/or political sectors look like victims, which may be somewhat true, however it alleviates people from having to take any responsibility. What is not conveyed in that movie or in many reports is that a primary reason all of this was allowed to happen was due to the greed of Americans and I'm not talking about CEOs or high level members of the financials, although they are guilty as well. If everyday Americans didn't get so greedy, buying everything they could ever want without regard for their financial standing then none of this would have been an issue. The.CEOs did their jobs; they saw what people wanted and supplied it. Everything was great, no one complained til they couldn't afford their expensive things anymore and things began to go wrong for more and more people.

That said I do have an issue with financials continue to sell bad investments to investors, the reporting agencies rating these investments so highly, and taking out insurance policies on their bad investmemts.

Wow they were given a LOT of warning. Just goes to show you there is always 2 sides to every story. Anymore officers watch their ass (usually) when it comes to huge crowds of people, you KNOW you're going to be under the camera's eye. They were given warnings, individually told the consequences of their actions and still mocked at them as if it was no biggie.

And the Adam video was great!

Film Student- You have violated the "UNDER 200 Posts" rule for this thread 3 times.... My patience is running very thin.

CEO: What do you think I should pay in taxes?

LADY: Ask the accountant.

Accountant: Well you (CEO) should pay the national average, 12-17%.

CEO: Well that would actually be a significant tax cut for me. LMAO

CEO: I pay more income tax than everyone around me combined. Again LMAO.