User Names vs. Real Names

HannibalACP82

So lately I have been seeing more and more of our members referred to by their real names (RD, Vbox, Slowpoke and Jpegs to name a few) and I was wondering what the protocol is? Do people have a preference as to in which way they are referred to? Outside of your real name being in your screen name (looking at your Rob and Allan!) who likes what?

I think generally well mannered people will refer to someone with their screen name unless they know a person well enough to address them by their given name. Some people will use the first name to establish a personal connection above the average member here as well.

I always believed that its personal preference, but online you must consider the other parties feelings on anonymity. Really boils down to knowing someone well enough to discern the difference.

Personally I do not care either way.

Best

I think generally well mannered people will refer to someone with their screen name unless they know a person well enough to address them by their given name. Some people will use the first name to establish a personal connection above the average member here as well.

I always believed that its personal preference, but online you must consider the other parties feelings on anonymity. Really boils down to knowing someone well enough to discern the difference.

Personally I do not care either way.

Best

So, is your name Best?

I think mine is fairly obvious. I try to only use the real names of those who i've actually met in person but I think it's all based on the situation

I think mine is fairly obvious. I try to only use the real names of those who i've actually met in person but I think it's all based on the situation

Casper? Unbelievably white boy? :icon_mrgreen:

I agree with PCow. Unless I've met someone in person or spoken to them on the phone (something beyond internet), I don't use their real name because I don't really "know" them.

Doesn't matter to me either way. I'm not bothered by people using my first name or the screen name. Although it is odd to keep being named after dookie on the internet :lol2:

IMHO I think real names should not be used in open forum posts. In a PM that is ok, but not where others can access that information. Remember in this technology age the least bit of personal information can be used to discover a great deal about someone's personal life...and not always for good purposes.

Although just the fact that you are on the internet has probably opened you up to a variety of intrusions.

cake is okay, or go with my first name name Layer, or Urinal :P

Seriously - doesn't matter. It seems the only people who call me by my real first name are those I've met in person, PM'd or emailed - or had some type of correspondence with above/beyond standard posts. I tend to do the same.

I also use someone's real name in a post with the above qualifications, and especially if the topic is serious in nature (like condolences)