Jump to content

Resurrecting Jalpa #359


Recommended Posts

Powdercoating is going well, told them to shoot clear on stuff because I want things to match. The depth factor is nice.

 

Final quote came back on the heads today. 15 hours expected on the high end of the heads for repairs. Grinding and welding is going well. Will have pictures very soon. Can't wait for everything to come back!

 

I'm going to take the weekend off from working on the car and relax this weekend with a nice cigar and a glass of scotch for all the progress lately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

  • 2 weeks later...

Sneak peek, they're cooling and clearing now. Everything is turning out absolutely beautiful.

oo7sjnS.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some better photos, now with the clearcoat applied and dried and cooled.

NXNCbtn.jpg

FyOWntt.jpg

cQzlj54.jpg

W6Jus9W.jpg

 

Rebuilding the steering column this weekend, will post before and after photos once finished.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those look good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks guys. Glad you're enjoying the progress as much as I am! I got the steering column about 85% done last night and then got invited to the local cigar bar. I ended up running into the guys from Raptor Racing, so we went through rounds of scotch and cigars. So I'll finish the other 15% of the column rebuild tonight. You'll be pleased to see the before and after methinks.

 

It was probably the strangest evening at the cigar bar I've encountered. The guys from Raptor were way cool. After they left, some tourists from Sweden showed up and shared cigars and talked about how they came to climb smith rock. We talked about paragliding and climbing and hiking. Way cool dudes.

 

The odd part got to just before I left. A really super drunk guy shows up and tells us about his dog and his recent turkey hunt. He starts getting really animated and amped about it, tells us he'll be right back. A few minutes later he shows up with a jack and coke in one hand and a bigass dead turkey he's holding by the neck in the other. He was so excited and I could really only muster up, "Wow man that's a nice turkey." I mean I like hunting and all but I can't say that I'd go get my dead game out of the back of my rig and start waving it around at people.

 

So he goes into the bar with his dead turkey and people start leaving the bar, coming out to the fireplaces and one girl goes, "What the fcuk man there's a drunk guy in there with a dead turkey. What the shit?" I started laughing because I'd already seen it and it was random. So the bartender leads the guy out of the bar and they start talking about the dead turkey outside. "Yeah man this is my first wild turkey. I shot this damn thing, and then chased it 100 meters into the woods chasing after it with a stick. Then when I caught it I had to strangle the fucker!" and everyone is standing around like, "Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh."

 

Not something you see every day at the cigar bar, but it is winter time in Oregon, so I suppose everything is possible. :lol2:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thanks guys. Glad you're enjoying the progress as much as I am! I got the steering column about 85% done last night and then got invited to the local cigar bar. I ended up running into the guys from Raptor Racing, so we went through rounds of scotch and cigars. So I'll finish the other 15% of the column rebuild tonight. You'll be pleased to see the before and after methinks.

 

It was probably the strangest evening at the cigar bar I've encountered. The guys from Raptor were way cool. After they left, some tourists from Sweden showed up and shared cigars and talked about how they came to climb smith rock. We talked about paragliding and climbing and hiking. Way cool dudes.

 

The odd part got to just before I left. A really super drunk guy shows up and tells us about his dog and his recent turkey hunt. He starts getting really animated and amped about it, tells us he'll be right back. A few minutes later he shows up with a jack and coke in one hand and a bigass dead turkey he's holding by the neck in the other. He was so excited and I could really only muster up, "Wow man that's a nice turkey." I mean I like hunting and all but I can't say that I'd go get my dead game out of the back of my rig and start waving it around at people.

 

So he goes into the bar with his dead turkey and people start leaving the bar, coming out to the fireplaces and one girl goes, "What the fcuk man there's a drunk guy in there with a dead turkey. What the shit?" I started laughing because I'd already seen it and it was random. So the bartender leads the guy out of the bar and they start talking about the dead turkey outside. "Yeah man this is my first wild turkey. I shot this damn thing, and then chased it 100 meters into the woods chasing after it with a stick. Then when I caught it I had to strangle the fucker!" and everyone is standing around like, "Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh."

 

Not something you see every day at the cigar bar, but it is winter time in Oregon, so I suppose everything is possible. :lol2:

 

he probably thought you just as strange rebuilding a Jalpa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
he probably thought you just as strange rebuilding a Jalpa

 

I can't argue with that logic :lol2:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I know you've all been waiting for an update. I kind of got really busy playing Fallout 4 and the steering column rebuild kinda got put to the wayside till today :lol2:

 

Anyway.... some before photos. I never posted any, and it was a freaking mess. The bearings were hard as hell to move and were slightly binding. I hunted down some NOS bearings on Ebay that were brand new still in the package for next to nothing. I tumbled all of the washers and bolts, nice and shiny and new. I also polished up the shaft and purchased new column switches, which I believe are now NLA thanks to me :lol2:.

 

 

All of the paint flaking, total mess, innards nasty as hell.

9BVytOf.jpg

 

7v7bMBY.jpg

 

One of the new column switches. This was an NLA part, and I cross referenced it to a similar part.

3mrQNv7.jpg

 

Old bearings

CMHtSRU.jpg

 

SKF 16004

KDZpSqd.jpg

 

NOS SKF 16004

ibGwFKG.jpg

 

New bearing vs Old Bearing

hdqe4Yn.jpg

 

Same exact column pieces for fitment minus the length on the end of switch.

WuTShAh.jpg

 

New switch installed.

8OoalbR.jpg

 

Snap rings all cleaned up and tumbled, new bearings packed and ready to be installed

58iV2Jp.jpg

 

Rear snapring installed, shaft installed.

nV8T0yw.jpg

 

Bearing on cover plate partially pressed in.

pCWlNXb.jpg

 

Upper snaprings for cover plate now installed.

xCUiocP.jpg

 

Checking bearing play on the back. Solid.

EvEgc2U.jpg

 

Tumbled parts being reinstalled.

1FWJV1i.jpg

 

8MFkLgk.jpg

 

Finished! It's a bit odd to me how it sits. It has 3 places for snaprings. The first set, the bottom of the shaft can only go so far into the actual column before it catches on the bearing, and snapring 1 goes at the top of that to hold it in. Snap ring 2 goes in second, at the bottom of where bearing #2 would sit on the cover plate. THEN the cover plate can go in, then you have to press the bearing down until it sits flush with snap ring #2 and THEN you can press the cover plate on the rest the way, bolt down, and put the final snap ring on.

xbwuxKt.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Looks great, curious when you tumble the parts are you losing an appreciable amount of material that the parts may no longer fit?

 

Nope, because the only thing I tumble the parts in is walnut media. I don't use anything harsh or harder than the material itself. That way it only gets off things like rust, grime, dirt, etc. Leaves them clean and polished, doesn't remove stuff from threads or material.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alright, I've held out on you guys for quite a while with the head progress pics. Here are some before and after pics. You can see that the head gasket failure really did a number on the head surface. If you look at the before photo, in the passageways you'll see some nasty pitting. He's been welding all of these areas up, made a tool to properly machine the chamber and has done a stunning job welding them up.

 

I have more pics, but I want to hold out till they're finished for the WOW factor. Either way, you can see the guy is doing a fantastic job.

 

PS: This is the GOOD cylinder head. Wait till you see the other one.

pWKoURE.jpg

 

XRRERmN.jpg

 

XNeUu35.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
that thing looks great!

 

I'll post more as he sends me pics that are aesthetically pleasing. I have pics of them welded up right now, but I want to put together a timeline of beginning to end, it'll be more fun that way :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...