Would you let 20 friends drive your Lambo...

Smash Boy

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before I had my exotics a buddy had Ferraris and always insited I drive them...had no interest..... It's not mine, I didnt pay for it or earn it. Plus if anything broke while I happeened to be driving I didnt want to be on the hook or ruin a friendship. Just my 0.02. My father is the only person I wish would drive my Lamborghinis so he could see what it's like and he wont do it either.

PS..his comment about grumpy assholes no touch philosophy is douche bag. When you work hard for something theres nothing worse than when people in the general public feel its their right to touch it. When I see young kids looking at my car and the parents say "wow, look kids but careful dont touch it" I usually let them sit inside for a pic...it feels awesome to see the look on their face. When I see people leaning on it or sitting on the hood I tell them to Fuk off.

It's not so much that they might harm something.

It's that getting anything fixed is a HUGE PITA, and then there's diminished value.

Not to mention a friendship possibly ruined.

Plus - do you ever feel the same about a car once it's been damaged - even if you can put humpty back together again?

I don't let anyone.. My rule is until the wife drives it no one gets to.. Kelly wants to, but I don't think she ever will haha.

i belonged to the National Alfa Romeo Owners Club in my country... at one point i owned +10 Alfa's at the same time, one time I let a Club Friend who also owns an impressive Alfa Collection drive one of my cars up an hillclimb event i was is co-driver and I was cringing all the time...Not that we was a bad driver but we all have a bit of different driving techniques...and in this case it was his first time driving this kind of Alfa Romeo and he just (tried) to go all in... so a lot of late braking, missed apex on a road course several close calls on curbs , walls etc... I said never again....

... pass forward some months i go to a track day also Alfa related at the Estoril ex F1 Race track with a guy that was this very gay friend of a girl that i really wanted to bang ( or if you're a female reading and by any way feel offended, what i really wanted to say was make beautiful Love :P )

... I let him drive the warm up session...he broke my Engine with a missed downshift on FRICKIN LAP 1 :tyson: :crybaby2:

...of course he couldn't pay for the damage BLAH BLAH BLAH...jesus i fucked his female friend and her sister ...but i still grin at having lost that car...had some crazy moments with that car...being 19 and in Lisbon (Portugal) with a couple friends and do road-trip's to Pisa in Italy to see who would be the first to arrive a buy a Pizza at a local store...my 1st Nurburgring lap :eek3dance:

...from that day onwards...fcuk driving my classics or sports car's...

...on the other hand I do a lot of offroad expeditions trough Africa...and in those cases we always have to share...15+ hours at the wheel in such "roads" is a big no no...

...fcuk i feel the need to drive now :headbang: :eek3dance:

In fairness the 360 is a piece of shit worth about as much as a new Denali, so not really that big of a deal.

Okay, let's just address the huge pink elephant in the room....Is a 360 REALLY an exotic? haha Just kidding.

Cool idea, bad execution the way he went about some of his douchey comments.

Side story, I remember the time VBugKing let me drive his Rennteched SLR McLaren to a car show while he and his wife took other cars. Awesome day, huge nerves haha. I've never had an "exotic", but I did used to let my friends drive my Z*0*6, Supra, AMG's, ///M's etc. But probably like Aaron, I let people drive it that I knew had the upmost respect for cars. I.e.- Know how to enter drives at an angle to avoiding scrapes and things like that. It's nice to be able to share things with people you know may not be able to obtain such a car at the time, but may give them inspiration. And people that have a great respect and admiration for them.

Interesting link. At the same time I hail this guy's generosity and enthusiasm, I would remind him that cars are different. Lumping us all into his car is wrong. That F360 is a pussycat and, sure, you can hand a pussycat to your buddies, but you can't just drop them in a 2WD Diablo or a Viper and say have at it. I tend to think that newer tech in anything from a Gallardo to a Veyron can handle a trainee just fine, but he gives no nods the expense to fix it and the immediate devaluation of the car's resale value in the event of an accident.

I would love to share the experience, BUT...

1. My first concern is the clutch. My clutch is unlike any other car both in feel, cost, and downtime if ruined. If I break it, it's my problem. I don't need any wannabe test pilots feeling it out and making a $7,000 mistake on a whim. So, no, I'm not a jerk and this guy's perception of other exotics needs to change.

2. My second concern would be a traffic accident due to a lack of situational awareness and sensory saturation. The Diablo laughs while looking up at the F360 calling itself "low." The car is so much lower than other cars and the visibility and perception of surroundings is different. Riding a skateboard on your stomach is a different picture compared to standing up on it. To have high awareness in the Diablo, you need to already know where to put your eyeballs before you turn your head. The car can be a wild animal in itself, so the last thing you need to be wasting your time on is sorting out the visibility. Through seating position, noise, etc., it's just unusual and different from a sensory perspective. Mechanics I know can drive it only because I know what their experience is. Otherwise, I don't consider the cockpit of this car to be a training environment, which is what this guy's video adds up to.

3. The Diablo is fast becoming a classic car. What it takes to support it in parts, cost, and expertise is a completely different picture than an F360. The F360 which I (and many people) see as a few orders of magnitude less exotic than the Diablo is more common and accessible to the average joe. Passions aside, we're talking about a production of 17,000 cars vs. 3,000 Diablos. That kind of math adds up to, no, I'm not a jerk, and no you can't drive it.

Even as the primary driver, I approach traffic in the Diablo with the same mindset I would have on a motorcycle more than a car. Most people I know haven't ridden motorcycles either, and would thus be that much further down the mentality-required curve for me to feel comfortable with them at the controls.

To add insult to injury, many exotic owners are rightfully wary of people's willingness to sue their balls off in the event of an accident simply because people see them as cash cows. This guy's view of exotics is grossly over simplified.

In fairness the 360 is a piece of shit worth about as much as a new Denali, so not really that big of a deal.

:iamwithstupid:

I have let Deuce, Chinaman and my wife drive my cars..Oh and Ajglobal..

First of all I do not have 20 friends, easy solved :icon_mrgreen:

I have no problems letting my friends, family, drive my cars, they are just cars (tools) at the end of the day, insured, under warranty, also I don't associate with idiots therefore I trust everyone in my inner circle.

What stops me from allowing people to drive my exotics is insurance, with exotic insurance I have to nominate actual drivers, if you aren't nominated on my policy you can't touch it, I usually nominate people who are very likely to drive them such as my wife (never interested) and my brother, rarely interested.

If I had a 360, I would sell it and buy a C7, or another set of tires for the Diablo.

What stops me from allowing people to drive my exotics is insurance, with exotic insurance I have to nominate actual drivers, if you aren't nominated on my policy you can't touch it, I usually nominate people who are very likely to drive them such as my wife (never interested) and my brother, rarely interested.

:iamwithstupid:

I also have my wife/brother on my policy just in case they need to drive/move the car and I can't.

I have offered to let my dad drive the Diablo but he has not. Most of my other friends couldn't afford it if anything happened and like SingleSeat mentions, the clutch specifically comes to mind with the Diablos.

I have never had a problem letting friends drive my cars or ride my bikes, and sometimes I even have to talk them into driving them. I do have a very good friend who has crashed more then one of my vehicles (Viper, Aprilia, R1), and blew the engine in one of my Porsches before I ever got to drive it, of course he had the money to pay for these things instantly, so we just laughed about it.

I suppose if you grew money on trees it's not as concerning, but I'm sure a lot of people who have plenty of money are still concerned with the resale value of their cars. Handing a late model exotic off to someone to take $30k off the top just for a fun morning can be unpalatable (assuming they are repaired properly too). Even if such things weren't concerning due to having too much money, that's far from impressive, ala the Bilzeranianwhateverthefk thread.

It's obvious that many value the sheer rarity of their cars to warrant risking them on joyrides, and I'm sure no one else would want to see some of these rare birds risked either. This video dude's "don't be a jerk" peer pressure is saying what defines me as a jerk is someone else's perception, which is idiotic at best. If not letting others drive my car makes me a jerk, I'd rather do that than be the dumbass who calls people jerks for not sharing a car. If my options are to be a jerk or a dumbass, I'll take jerk all day long, although dumbass is pretty popular. Let's not forget that at the root of this guy's "grumpy asshole viewpoint," is an entitlement undercurrent that ASSUMES property is meant to be shared and anything running counter to that is bad.

btw, I have never eaten Oreos in my car (nor would I) and any performance vehicle that allows you to play air guitar on a regular basis is doing it wrong.

SingleSeat there is another aspect to this and it's very simple I'm my opinion, it's the value you place on your closest friends and loved ones, which in my case supersedes the value of a material possession irrespective of its value, I was flat broke and lived and shared with other flat broke people, that's how you get by and move along, now I have plenty, in my eyes things changed for the better because I can offer more to those around me.

One way or the other the risk is always insured or minimized (they could compensate loss/cost)

I like my cars and my possessions but I love my family and friends (which I consider family), I don't have many true friends but if you are my true friend and you need to use my car, my house, my shirt, they are yours, as I said there are caveats but all the people who made it in my inner circle are responsible enough and I can trust 100%.

We all place different values on different things, that doesn't make me right or you wrong or vice versa, it comes from our diversity, I understand and sympathize with the way you feel and your approach, not wanting to share doesn't make you a jerk or a bad person, not in my eyes anyway.

I'd like to say yes because that the end of the day it is just a car. Shit happens. I have let a few friends drive my baby based on that philosophy but I knew I could trust them and it was worth it to see their genuine excitement. Every single one of them I had to tell to drive harder. I made my one buddy pull over and then I told him if he "kept driving it like a pussy I might as well drive us the rest of the way!". We were on our way to go test drive a new M3 and I don't think he shifted under 7500 the rest of the way there!

I was fortunate enough to drive one of Docta's cars to Columbus last year. Traffic came to a pretty quick stop. The Lambo stopped, the 2 Lotus Exige Cup Cars Stopped, the 911 Turbo stopped, the Lotus Elise stopped and the LF-A stopped. The lady in the Monte Carlo behind me did not stop. I heard her lock her brakes up and thought "OH SHIT....I am going to get rear ended in an M6 and pushed in to an Exige Cup Car which is going to get pushed into another Cup Car...this is going to be tough to explain." She ended up stopping in on the shoulder even with my car. I honestly don't know which one of us was more scarred. The guys in front didn't know what happened and when we pulled in to the shop 5 minutes later I literally rolled out of the car and just laid down on the ground. I had to have someone else drive it to the hotel that's how bad it messed with my nerves.

So I guess what I am saying is it would have to depend on the friend, the car and the situation.