Dad shoots down drone hovering over sunbathing daughter

RM-S8

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In sure there are lies and holes in both stories a little, but if you want pix of your friend's house, fly over your friend's house and inform the neighbors. My neighbor next door's re agent was doing the same thing. If my wife was home it was high enough to see in our second story windows. She wasn't home or we'd have had words, but when I saw it I showed it a full moon because I lack maturity.

Threats everywhere to drones. Hawk almost took out my drone the other day right after snapping this picture. Luckily I don't have to worry about neighbors shooting it down in Norway.

post-8895-1438539794_thumb.jpg

So, what's wrong with protecting your own property and kids against peeping Toms? Clear case of trespassing in my view. If it's below 500 feet and it's above you (you are aiming straight up) ... boom boom, bang bang, good bye drone.

so you shoot it down and it crashes into a kid playing next door and seriously injuries him, then what? you're in big trouble now, not the drone operator...

I would have shot it down too.

so you shoot it down and it crashes into a kid playing next door and seriously injuries him, then what? you're in big trouble now, not the drone operator...

We have so much land, I would be more concerned about not finding it when I shot it down. It is a total invasion of privacy.

If I lived in a city, I probably wouldn't depending on the proximity of my neighbors.

The drone should not be there in the first place without prior notification to whoever might be affected or bothered by it's presence. There is so much paranoia these days, i can see why the owner of the property would shoot it down, i probably would have done the same

The regulations on drones are far too grey right now. Hopefully that'll change. At some point it has to with people doing this all the time.

I agree it should not, but legally it appears it can be.... someone in a helicopter can sit there and hover over your house as well..

The drone should not be there in the first place without prior notification to whoever might be affected or bothered by it's presence. There is so much paranoia these days, i can see why the owner of the property would shoot it down, i probably would have done the same

We discussed this at length. Where we live it is illegal to discharge any fire arm. Can't even fire a pellet gun legally.

We wondered if a paint ball marker (I was told it's not called a paintball gun but rather a paintball marker) would take down or do enough damage to a drone as to make it inoperable. I know those paintball "dispensers" aren't terribly accurate and probably beyond 50 feet it wouldn't be much help - but if it could be "beefed up" and made a bit more accurate, might be a decent way to try and defeat a drone for those who live in areas where shooting isn't an option.

A realtor friend was telling us that in addition to our land (not including mineral rights) we also "own" airspace above our property. He said within 200 feet about the house.

We were also wondering about having a "sacrificial" drone that you keep on hand to take down an "invasive" drone. Or maybe a drone that is trailing a bunch of fishing wire or something that could interfere/disable the invading drone. All this assumes that you can get within striking distance which can be tough if they see you coming.

There have got to be "remote" ways to defeat an unwanted drone.

I agree that legislation will be forthcoming. It's obviously trespassing and invasion of privacy.

In sure there are lies and holes in both stories a little, but if you want pix of your friend's house, fly over your friend's house and inform the neighbors. My neighbor next door's re agent was doing the same thing. If my wife was home it was high enough to see in our second story windows. She wasn't home or we'd have had words, but when I saw it I showed it a full moon because I lack maturity.

You're not Assman for nothin' :icon_mrgreen:

According to the flight data from DJI, the drone was at 200+ feet when the crazy guy shot it down... Never came close to the guys house or his daughter... Guy has a fcuking screw loose.

We discussed this at length. Where we live it is illegal to discharge any fire arm. Can't even fire a pellet gun legally.

We wondered if a paint ball marker (I was told it's not called a paintball gun but rather a paintball marker) would take down or do enough damage to a drone as to make it inoperable. I know those paintball "dispensers" aren't terribly accurate and probably beyond 50 feet it wouldn't be much help - but if it could be "beefed up" and made a bit more accurate, might be a decent way to try and defeat a drone for those who live in areas where shooting isn't an option.

A realtor friend was telling us that in addition to our land (not including mineral rights) we also "own" airspace above our property. He said within 200 feet about the house.

We were also wondering about having a "sacrificial" drone that you keep on hand to take down an "invasive" drone. Or maybe a drone that is trailing a bunch of fishing wire or something that could interfere/disable the invading drone. All this assumes that you can get within striking distance which can be tough if they see you coming.

There have got to be "remote" ways to defeat an unwanted drone.

I agree that legislation will be forthcoming. It's obviously trespassing and invasion of privacy.

I was thinking a painball "marker" too, instead of a shotgun. If its low enough, a paintball gun could likely blast it out of the air...they are surprisingly accurate once you get the distance down. With loads of paintballs to shoot, they act as tracers and help with the aim. Sending up your own RC flyer would be awesome as well...an R/C attack helocopter taking out drones (or quadcopters)...lol!

I was thinking a painball "marker" too, instead of a shotgun. If its low enough, a paintball gun could likely blast it out of the air...they are surprisingly accurate once you get the distance down. With loads of paintballs to shoot, they act as tracers and help with the aim. Sending up your own RC flyer would be awesome as well...an R/C attack helocopter taking out drones (or quadcopters)...lol!
Yes - attack drone (or "flying weapon of choice") might be very effective but probably also expensive - cause whatever you send up there to take out an invasive drone might crash & burn.

I was wondering about inexpensive (relatively speaking) drones that one could keep on hand that act as "sacrificial drone" kind of like sacrificial annode theory....

Paintball might be a good first option

This whole things sounds hilarious to me. Have drones really become such a problem that people now have to have their own drones on hand ready to launch and be piloted out to take on the invading drones?

Wife: "Unidentified drone, 100 feet out, 50 feet. Looks like an intruder from the North. Man the drone!"

Husband: "Drone 1 airborne, en route to intercept intruder drone."

Then you have multiple other drones showing up as neighbors who have spotted the incoming intruder drone similarly man their drones. I think they'll have to be careful with legislation though as how does one distinguish between say flying an RC for fun versus a drone that can be used for spying?

With regards to shooting down a drone, two things:

1) It's probably a bad idea to discharge a firearm in any crowded areas (like with homes around)

2) If homes are close by, as suggested, you might send the drone crashing into some child playing outside or into another person's house, etc...so I'd only consider shooting down or taking out a drone if it was in an area where it absolutely could not harm someone else.

Over here you can't even have a camera on the outside of your house that is showing anything else than you own property ... if it is located at the front door you are not allowed to be able to see the street, same thing on the sides, you are not allowed to see anything even close to the neighbor, just your own property. Commercial centers need a permit and signs showing 'you are being filmed' ... lol.

Privacy laws are very strict over here, you are not allowed to operate a drone in your own garden any higher than a certain limit (forgot how much, but it has to be very low) ... because if the drone is too high you might be able to 'peek' into the neighbor's garden, and that is not allowed.

I guarantee you the guy who shot it down, did so because he's a redneck and thought it was the goberment spying on him, and he's been ranting on the internet how he can't wait to shoot one down if he sees one....

Shooter was a loony, end of story. 200 feet up, you think these drone operators had a telescopic lens to get detail of those girls? Otherwise they're fapping to a picture taken from a potato. All of you guys trying to come up with ways to defeat drones, I'd love to make a living of you guys by making countermeasures

I think my posts are every day being more stupid but I post this anyway.

:D Only in 'murica. I think there was option of walking 40meters to the neighbours door and talk either with the 16yo kid or his father about the issue. But of course shooting it down was more of a statement. :D

The girl will be sharing it anyway in instagram...

Shooter was a loony, end of story. 200 feet up, you think these drone operators had a telescopic lens to get detail of those girls? Otherwise they're fapping to a picture taken from a potato. All of you guys trying to come up with ways to defeat drones, I'd love to make a living of you guys by making countermeasures

Be the guy that builds a device to grab whatever frequency the drone is on. Either jam it or be able to take control of it.