What was your "realistic" dream car that you never got?

VCR

What was that "real world" dream car that you'd always wanted but never had the chance because you were too young to drive, or you had higher priorities back then; and by the time the conditions were met, the car was either no longer available/made or what's left on the market are basket cases and not worth the effort? No exotic like Lambo's and Ferrari's nor boutique brands like Aston Martins and Bentley's please. Just those "regular" cars that one can walk into a dealer to buy on the spot or take a few days to get one.

For me, it was the original Audi Quattro (the one with the hatchback).

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What was that "real world" dream car that you'd always wanted but never had the chance because you were too young to drive, or you had higher priorities back then; and by the time the conditions were met, the car was either no longer available/made or what's left on the market are basket cases and not worth the effort? No exotic like Lambo's and Ferrari's nor boutique brands like Aston Martins and Bentley's please. Just those "regular" cars that one can walk into a dealer to buy on the spot or take a few days to get one.

For me, it was the original Audi Quattro (the one with the hatchback).

I think you dodged a bullet. As a teenager the UR quattro was my somewhat attainable dream car. A high school friend's dad had one. The killer b rally class was in it's prime at the time. I made the mistake of buying one in the early 90's, talk about never drive your heroes. Slow, understeery, a noodle for a gearshift and very unreliable. It took 2 hours just to change an air filter the engine bay was so tight. The only upside was I was able to sell it a year later for more than I paid for it. The UR quattro's weren't hatchback's, they had a trunk because they came stock with a 26 gallon gas tank behind the rear seat.

I took a run at several 928 GTS, but could never pull the trigger. Found a rare 5 speed manual once, very disappointing, tranny didn't fit the personality of the car. The auto was much better. While on the lot got seduced by the raw power of a 996tt and that was it. Always regretted not owning one. First gen M3 and Mercedes E500 built by Porsche (with the updated headlights) were others.

VW Touareg V10 TDI Turbocharged Direct Injection diesel

A neighbor (supposedly) is an arms dealer. Interesting guy.

He had one of these that was a gift from a foreign dignitary who appreciated his services. He lives 8 houses away, but when he would come & go the sound was unmistakable. I don't know if his exhaust was stock or after market - but it was amazing.

Seemed like a really cool sleeper vehicle that sounded like nothing else.

I looked into buying one several years ago and determined the PITA factor would outweigh enjoyment so I passed. They don't have a great track record for reliability. But I think it's cool and I like the rarity factor.

The Europe only M3's... the E36 Evo and CSL. Had the US spec E36 and E46 competition pack but was a far cry from the full fat European models.... also a Mercedes E190 16V was too young when they were out, now they're all rust buckets

Unmodified Mark IV Supra turbo or 300zx TT from that era.

I remember in about 1990 a new TT 300 lined up next to my lowly 944 to try to get me to run him. I usually didn't back down from anyone, that day I didn't try.

1958 Buick Special. Red with black.

Beautiful car.

At 17 (1987) I couldn't cough up $900 on the spot.

post-7203-1455658431_thumb.jpg

Unmodified Mark IV Supra turbo or 300zx TT from that era.

I remember in about 1990 a new TT 300 lined up next to my lowly 944 to try to get me to run him. I usually didn't back down from anyone, that day I didn't try.

I love 90s Jap turbo cars too. I've had a bunch of all of them over the years but not perfect examples. I fixed that last year. See pic. :)

My post is kind of weird because i had all of them and boughtall of them again. You guys should too. They make me just as happy as driving expensive stuff.

20150916_131018.jpg

I love 90s Jap turbo cars too. I've had a bunch of all of them over the years but not perfect examples. I fixed that last year. See pic. :)

My post is kind of weird because i had all of them and boughtall of them again. You guys should too. They make me just as happy as driving expensive stuff.

That is cool! Love the gen2 mr2 as well.

Not unusual to rebuy something you loved and realize you want it again. I always think about buying a 944 again because of how much I loved it at the time.

Good thread idea.

For me, it's the E39 M5, though there are some nice examples popping up lately which are commanding pretty strong money. No one on this forum probably cares about the Integra Type-R but that is a truly sorted driver's car which also comes to mind.

Supra... All day long. Have tried to buy 5 different Supras over the past 15 years and for one reason or another the deals fell through:/ My unicorn lol

I do plan to own perfect examples of the major jap cars of the 90's tho!

Mercedes SL R129 with the AMG Package. 500 or 600 SL, doesn't matter. 600 has the better engine.

Don't know why, but I always loved that body style. Must be black/black.

Recently, a near perfect example popped up, and just as I was about to make the hour drive to take a look at it, it sold.

Still on the look out.

That is cool! Love the gen2 mr2 as well.

Not unusual to rebuy something you loved and realize you want it again. I always think about buying a 944 again because of how much I loved it at the time.

I had both a an 89 Supercharged Mr2, and then a 91 MR2 Turbo.. Loved them both!

VW Scirrocco 16V. I was young and broke then they stopped selling here in the US. I also need to add first gen BMW M5.

LOL! That was my first new car (88.5). Drove the piss out of it.

I missed out on a chance to buy a BMW M1 (E26) for a tiny fraction of what they sell for now. It was just out my price range, unfortunately.

UGH! I could have bought one from my neighbor back in 2006 for $70k and thought it was way too much for a near mint, original orangeish red m1 (not sure what the name of the color was, maybe zanzibar?) .

C43 Benz when they first came out

B5 Audi S4 in that sweet blue color they come in

I actually wanted a Ford Lightning when they came back out a 2nd time

993TT

R34 skyline was unobtanium and still is, and i wanted one badly

1998 Supra Turbo

Integra Type R was bad ass in high school. I had a close friend that had one with bolt ons and one friend that had one with a Jackson Racing SC. The sound that car produced when hitting VTEC and the feel was incredible for a $23,000 car.

Big Turbo RX7

This one kid in my high school had a bad ass slammed chevy silverado with air suspension and a killer system. Was the coolest car in the parking lot at the time, and I wanted something similar as I thought it was amazing.

This was my dream car/color combo-estoril blue/dove gray e36 m3

I had one, 98 M3 2 door silver, black interior. Great car, drove the shit out of it.

Oh, can't forget about the 993. Another could have, should have.

I was underwhelmed by the 993, not very fast, old switch gear, tiny interior, tiny pedal box, couldn't make it work for me at the time as a DD. I bought an NSX instead.