The upcoming eclipse

Redlambo

Hum! I hope I am not disappointed then.

Um. Do you get a boner when a storm cloud blocks the sun? Same effect. It gets dark. But not really. And then it gets light. And life goes on.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well guys, a friend came to stay last night from washington. Haven't seen him in years. Had a spare solar filter for his photography and just gave me his spare. So I've been out practicing today and the results are going to be great. I do not have any glasses, but looking at the sun through my camera was gorgeous.

final2.jpg

spot3_copy.jpg

Funny, I was at Huntington Beach where some surfer Joe was selling sun glasses and I asked if he was making a killing selling solar eclipse glasses and he didn't know anything about it.

Does anyone know how long will the ecliipse last?

too long already

it will last about 24 hours on social media depending on how geogrphically diverse your friends are located, in two days it'll be like it never happened.

Christ. I'm in the ace hardware to buy some bolts for my tractor and while I'm there the phone rings 8 times from people trying to buy the stupid glasses.

People lining up for an hour and a half at dunkin donuts to buy f-ing eclipse donuts. Honestly, human beings are so screwed if this is what we have come to

Well guys, a friend came to stay last night from washington. Haven't seen him in years. Had a spare solar filter for his photography and just gave me his spare. So I've been out practicing today and the results are going to be great. I do not have any glasses, but looking at the sun through my camera was gorgeous.

final2.jpg

spot3_copy.jpg

Damnit it's dirty... Wait NO is that a frkn cape?!@$!? :eek3dance:

I saw it in elementary school the last time it came out and all I remember is how dumb it felt to be looking at shadow in a cardboard box with a whole in it. 30 some-odd years later and still the only way I can view it is with a cardboard box with a whole in it...I'll wait for pix like Kerplops...

So. I went to meet my friend myrom at a rooftop hipster bar in Louisville for this.

We're sitting there. Sweating our balls off in 95 degree heat.

This hipster next to me is playing songs n his iPhone. After the third song I realize the playlist is themed. All the songs have the word "sun" or "moon" in them. This guy has made an entire playlist for this moment. fcuking kill me now.

Then another hipster walks up with a guitar and a Pink Floyd shirt. And I say "if this mother fucker starts playing dark side of the moon, I'm going to start shooting people...".

Sure enough.

Jesus Christ on a cracker.

So. I went to meety friend myrom at a rooftop hipster bar in Louisville for this.

This hipster next to me is playing songs n his iPhone. After the third song I realize the playlist is themed. All the songs have the word "sun" or "moon" in them. fcuking kill me now.

Then another hipster walks up with a guitar and a Pink Floyd shirt. And I say "if this mother fucker starts playing dark side of the moon, I'm going to start shooting people...".

Sure enough.

HAHA

Well the wife and I just got back from viewing it at the Georgia welcome center off of I-85 Southbound just as you enter Georgia from South Carolina. We are glad we went as it was impressive IMO. The most impressive thing to me was when the corona appeared around the moon after the sun fell into the total eclipse phase. The next neat thing was falling into a short lived night time (full moon type of darkness) with the obvious exception of the moon was covering the sun and it was a black hole with the corona surrounding it. As far as disappointments we did not see the shadow of the moon rushing towards us at Mach 2, it just got dark. Was it worth the 1 hour drive? Yes. Would I drive half way across the country to view it? No. We got lucky as there were partly cloudy sky's that obscured the sun for a bit until the last 15 minutes before in went into full eclipse. Vic

Still in Casper Wyoming.

We're we're about 10 minutes out of town on a deck in a ranch setting.

Thought it was incredible.

Looking at the corona without glasses was spectacular.

The temperatures dropped about 10-15 degrees and the wind dropped to virtually zero

Heard coyotes starting to howl as dusk approached.

The cattle in the yard started to bed down.

Plus we have had an absolutely epic road trip along the way.

11 Exotics from Canada to Deadwood through Rushmore, Needles Highway, and

Devils Tower.

If I'm "around" for the next full one in North America.... count me in.

Still in Casper Wyoming.

We're we're about 10 minutes out of town on a deck in a ranch setting.

Thought it was incredible.

Looking at the corona without glasses was spectacular.

The temperatures dropped about 10-15 degrees and the wind dropped to virtually zero

Heard coyotes starting to howl as dusk approached.

The cattle in the yard started to bed down.

Plus we have had an absolutely epic road trip along the way.

11 Exotics from Canada to Deadwood through Rushmore, Needles Highway, and

Devils Tower.

If I'm "around" for the next full one in North America.... count me in.

Those are some great areas, I lived at the south end of the Black Hills for just short of a year. A sport bike + Black Hills + South Dakotas lack of police = lots of good memories. Deadwood is a fun town too for a night or two.

I don't understand all the mania surrounding this.

I can see some appeal, but people are saying its the most incredible sight ever seen, the most memorable event of their life, etc...

It's cool but not THAT cool...

So. I went to meet my friend myrom at a rooftop hipster bar in Louisville for this.

This hipster next to me is playing songs n his iPhone. After the third song I realize the playlist is themed. All the songs have the word "sun" or "moon" in them. fcuking kill me now.

Sure enough.

I legitimately laughed out loud.

On a positive note, I got over 640 photos for a time lapse through my solar filter and modified camera and telescope.

A few previews.

IMG_5039.jpg

IMG_5047.jpg

IMG_5065.jpg

IMG_5089.jpg

IMG_5109.jpg

IMG_5125.jpg

A cropped version with spots clearly visible.

spots.jpg

I still have about 450 photos to process. time lapse coming.

1.jpg

This was incredible. It was incredible in the moments before, when it was bright, but dim.. then the totality.. ohmygod.. the corona was so intense. If this didn't impress you... what the hell does??