Rix

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

couldn't find anything on imdb about what part she has

Troupe in Avatar ^^

Going to see it tonight...IMAX 3D OH YESH :icon_super: Will let you know how it was when I get back

Guest skokos
She's part of the cast. She told me she played some tribal women or something like that. I would need to see the movie to tell you what parts to look for.

Her name is Debra Skelton, maybe looking that up will list her role in the film.

The funny black chick on Mad TV!

It's Friday night 12am, we sit down in what is a jam packed Imax Theatre in Sydney's Darling Harbour. I'm wearing these pathetic 3D glasses that are way too big for me and look like a complete fool. Sitting there I'm wondering to myself, I wonder how this movie is going to be.

Going into the film I did not do any research on it apart from watching the Trailers and flicking through the IMDB cast so I wasn't sure what to expect. I knew it was a Cameron return which should prove promising but didnt go in expecting it to be anything specific. This would be my first 3D full feature film after only having seen 3D before but in short form at Universal Studios and such.

The story follows the narrative of Jack Sully a wheelchair riding ex Marine that takes the place of his twin brother on a science project on the planet of Pandora. The entire story is just a giant Cliche which I wasn't overly impresses with in all honesty. Actually I wouldn't describe the film as an Action movie its more of a love story, guy sent to infiltrate natives, guy falls in love with native girl, switches sides in order to save the tribe and his girl. There is somewhat more to it but you have to watch the movie.

There is the usual amount of douchebaggery from the military types, and a sense of feeling from the scientists that they actually care in trying to relocate the natives. The natives are quite a simple folk, with "ties" to the spirit of the planet. They just happen to be a form of humanoid.

It's a little strange watching blue aliens dominating the screen with humans playing a "side role". The cast did a great job imo, Worthington played the role very but I did feel as though he had no feeling towards his character. Weaver was great to watch on screen as she always is and Lang fit right into the role Col. The person to shine above the rest was Zoe Saldana. I think she played the part to perfection and was such a convincing character that played it so well, the intimacy of her role just shined through.

Visually it was astonishing, the best film I have ever seen by a very long way. The 3D was spectacular, my eyes took about 30 mins to adjust and it wasn't until after the first Action sequence that I could focus properly on the foreground. If you compare Avatar to the likes of King Kong, Transformers or even Lord of the Rings this movie's visuals are just in another league and I have never seen anything like it.

There is a vast amount of attention to detail in this film, everything is perfect. The scenery of the planet, every sequence in every scene is polished off to perfection. It’s absolutely stunning as far as the planet, the animals, aliens, setting and visuals are concerned. You really feel like your on another planet, in a thick forest full of exotic strange alien creatures and humanoid like beings, you can't help but immerse yourself in it. What I especially enjoyed were the aerial sequences which truly were mesmerizing. The Action sequences are smooth and very cool to watch in 3D. I actually thought, without watching this movie in 3D it just wouldn't be the same, it would actually be a waste to not be able to appreciate the movie & special effects that come with the 3D experience.

Avatar might have been a long time coming but it was well worth the wait and J Cameron did a fabulous job, once again solidifying his place as a pioneer in storytelling.

Overall I can see the future of Movie Entertainment to follow the path of Avatar. Stunning visuals in 3D being the future. It has definitely set a precedent for future big Action/Adventure films. If I was to describe the film in one word it would be EPIC. I highly recommend the movie and would definitely rate it in the top 5 films I have ever seen. It may not have the level of depth as The Dark Knight for e.g but I can see this movie going down in history as one of the all time greats.

What about Aquaman?

:icon_mrgreen:

I lol'd when I read this.

I saw it last night at midnight. Yes I have no life. Over all I felt I got my money's worth. The CGI stuff was excellent and the world they created was over the top. But I just

can't get into whole 3-d thing and having to wear the special glasses. I think they could have done the whole thing in 2-D digital and shown it on a digital projector and it would have been just

as effective, like the last Stars Wars movie which was shown digitally in certain locations. Still a great movie, with the glasses on it felt like the old-time 3-D movies but with a bunch of

fancy graphics. But I felt like the story line stood on it's own, go and see it.

Favorite Movies: Donnie Brasco, Donnie Darko, Reservoir Dogs, Clock Work Orange, etc.

Just got done viewing Avatar. Boy....

Personally, I think it is the best movie I have ever seen. Three key points to me make this movie, the top of movies

A ) Complete self immersion

B ) Connection with story line, and characters

C ) Visually Stunning from all angles.

To me, this movie has it all. Had my phone not have vibrated half way threw, I would have forgotten that I was not actually there. It also struck me as something that when Im long and gone, could very well happen. Many times in this movie you get set up for what is may be a cop out, and easy out of a situation, but this movie did not follow that.

For me, it is a have to see to all true movie lovers.

Oh yeah, the 3d was great too because its so seamlessly integrated, you can't tell that it is not the norm.

A+

Best

I started off wanting to see the movie about a month ago. It peaked my interest with the fact that it was James Camerons return and quite an expensive return at that. Then about a week ago I started to look at reviews and the general consensus was lots of CGI cant make up for a shity plot and script. That got me worried so I went into the movie with some what lessened expectations.

This movie while extremely predictable and nothing original on the story line front is nothing short of ground breaking on the visuals front. to say that this movie is visually stunning would be selling it short by a country mile! Lord of the rings is visually stunning but this is just on a completely new and mind boggling level. Even thought the plot line is played out and unoriginal doesnt mean its not a good story. Hell every bond movie has been the same thing just thrown in a blender and called new. This movie does follow some cliches and some pitfalls but on the whole it had what I look for most in a movie, I walked out with a big ass grin on my face. Its just downright fun.

The acting in the movie was pretty much what i had expected nothing to write home about but then again nothing that was terrible.

I would highly recommend seeing this movie if not just for the CGI and the stunning visuals.

Overall I give it a 9 out of 10

Plot and script: 7 out of 10

Visuals and sound: 15 out of 10 (no joke)

CGI crap is getting boring already. I don't know ANYONE that is planning on seeing it..

my prediction: good or not, it will Flop

CGI crap is getting boring already. I don't know ANYONE that is planning on seeing it..

my prediction: good or not, it will Flop

My theatre was packed, maybe a Flop compared to its cost but I bet it makes $75mm this weekend

Saw the movie in 3D last night and I enjoyed it very much. Sure it's got alot of tech and graphics but I found the movie to be entertaining even without that. Not sure why everyone's talking about the shitty story, perhaps I'm a simpleton but I liked it :)

Saw the movie in 3D last night and I enjoyed it very much. Sure it's got alot of tech and graphics but I found the movie to be entertaining even without that. Not sure why everyone's talking about the shitty story, perhaps I'm a simpleton but I liked it :)

I don't think it has a shitty story, its just that the story is completely predictable and reminds me of the pilgrims vs indians.

Saw in 3D last night on an IMAX screen and it was a really awesome experience!

Skokos, with regard to the budget, Cameron is also a partner in the special 3D cameras used to shoot this movie. Don't think of Avatar as just another great Cameron film (which it is!) - think of it as the greatest camera commercial that you'll see for a long time. In other words, he used a kickass movie to change the way we want to watch movies and he owns the equipment required to produce more of them!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_cinem...n_Camera_System

Just got home seeing this movie.. Very well done. Nothing more to add what people have said. Definetely a movie to watch in the theater due to visual and audio effects...

Very impressive movie. I saw it on one of the larger IMAX screens in 3D. If you see this on DVD or on a non-3D screen you are missing out. The only negative I have heard was the length. I had to get up halfway through myself to stretch my legs haha.

If you hate science fiction and can't stand 3D movies then don't see it. Otherwise, make sure you see this on an IMAX screen.

Watched it in theater. I don't like all that fantasy thing in first place , so I guess there is no way I'd like the movie. Graphics were pretty impressive and Michelle Rodrigues never fails )