Martin/Zimmerman thread

Allan-Herbie

post-60315-1373778447_thumb.jpg

post-60315-1373778457_thumb.jpg

post-60315-1373778463_thumb.jpg

post-60315-1373778485.png

post-60315-1373778497.jpg

Isn't that kid in Texas sitting in jail for typing threats against people online? These seem like much more legitimate threats than what he said.

• Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am immensely disappointed that those who only asked for an arrest and a trial are now asking for more, even though the jury and the system have spoken. It is time for a community to heal and further agitation of this situation serves no one's interest, except those who chose to promote themselves at the expense of those who are directly involved.

The thought process that justice is only served, if you get the result you want, is a perversion of the belief that the system operating as it did here IS JUSTICE. One man's justice is another man's outrage.

Without doubt a community, yes even a nation, is divided over the events which occurred and the results of the trial. And certainly, if it is necessary, an examination of the role race plays in our society is appropriate. But further criminal litigation would only serve to fan the flames of racial divide, and serves no useful purpose, where a jury has heard all of the evidence and found insufficient cause to find Zimmerman guilty.

This is a tragedy for all concerned. There is no governmental misconduct here, as in Rodney King. There is no evidence upon which the Department of Justice can base a claim that Mr. Martin's death was racially motivated. And most importantly, the most conclusive evidence would seem to indicate that Mr. Martin was the aggressor. Use of excessive force by Zimmerman is not sufficient for the Department of Justice to interject itself, and those who are promoting such an action would make this nothing more than a political trial and agenda.

It is time for all of us to move on to solving real problems, not one created for self- promotion and to satisfy the personal agendas of those who wish to extend their own celebrity.

Jeffrey Swartz

Professor of Criminal Law

Thomas M. Cooley Law School, Tampa Bay Campus

Well said, even if he does teach at a law school that no ones ever heard of.

If Martin had knocked Zimmerman down/out and just walked away he would likely still be alive. Martin however, decided to mount Zimmerman and that is what ultimately lead to his demise. As soon as Martin mounted and continued to beat Zimmerman, he made Zimmerman feel in danger of his life, which he (Zimmerman) has the right to protect. In my humble opinion this is rather simple. No way to escape, in fear of your life, defend your life.

I do feel bad for Martin, when I was younger I probably wouldn't have taken well to someone following me and/or saying things to me. That said, that is a feeling and the law is not based on feelings as much as a lot of people (could go political) would like it to be when it suits them. By the actual letters of the law and facts, justice was served when Zimmerman was allowed to walk.

Its interesting reading through the begining of this thread and the issues brought up regarding the initial arrest (or lack thereof) of Zimmerman. So we have a dude, who by all accounts is a little shit who can't fight worth a lick, following a large black kid (was he really 6'4"?)...would said little shit even follow this guy if he didn't feel like he had a great equalizer, i.e. his freaking gun? My guess is no. GZ was and will continue to be an asshole and he's lucky he's not in jail right now. The state did manage to stack the deck against him and he received no help from the judge (who in no way wanted to give any appearance that she might favor the defense even in the slightest) and I think he was saved by a pretty good defense team and lack of objective evidence, so I believe the trial was "fair" in that the state had every opportunity to offer blood up to the masses.

Maybe it is just me but another thing that made the prosecution seem like idiots to me is that they put up the life size cut outs and said how skinny Martin was. But then they are showing Martins sweatshirt up on the wall and that thing looked like a XXXL. In the dark with that shirt on and he could have appeared 6'4 300 even if it was baggy.

Its interesting reading through the begining of this thread and the issues brought up regarding the initial arrest (or lack thereof) of Zimmerman. So we have a dude, who by all accounts is a little shit who can't fight worth a lick, following a large black kid (was he really 6'4"?)...would said little shit even follow this guy if he didn't feel like he had a great equalizer, i.e. his freaking gun? My guess is no. GZ was and will continue to be an asshole and he's lucky he's not in jail right now. The state did manage to stack the deck against him and he received no help from the judge (who in no way wanted to give any appearance that she might favor the defense even in the slightest) and I think he was saved by a pretty good defense team and lack of objective evidence, so I believe the trial was "fair" in that the state had every opportunity to offer blood up to the masses.

5'11/158 was the quoted size for Martin.

5'11/158 was the quoted size for Martin.

I had read that he was taller, but could be wrong

The photo only underscores the real tragedy, both people involved were wrong, one paid with his life while the other's life is forever ruined.

The photo only underscores the real tragedy, both people involved were wrong, one paid with his life while the other's life is forever ruined.

This.

Looks about 6'4 to me

k-bigpic.jpg

I think when it's sideways you go by yards. That's why the NFL doesn't have 3rd down and 18 feet to go.

How did he "provoke" Martin?

How did he not? The point I'm trying to make is, I think don't think TM just started foaming at the mouth and attacked GZ for no reason.

Again, what was the reason (provocation) for Martin to resort to physical violence?

So you can go anywhere and start something, and in the case that you're getting your ass beat just pull out a gun and shoot someone in the name of self defense? If it was in GZ's rights to defend himself then it was also in Martin's rights to do so too when some random stranger is following you around in a neighborhood you don't know too well. If Martin's actions were excessive then so too were GZ's. If he has to live the rest of his life (or at least the next few years) looking over his shoulder, living in fear of being attacked, then that's probably enough of a punishment though.

If Martin had knocked Zimmerman down/out and just walked away he would likely still be alive.

True story....

When I was in my late teens, maybe 17 or so (I can't remember because you could just get into bars no problem here back then), I was walking home hammered from a bar. I noticed an older guy, perhaps in his late 20's and kind of scruffy (think construction guy, biker kind) was following me. I crossed the street and he crossed, kind of grimming.

I crossed again and he crossed again.

I then crossed back to the other side, he followed, and I went back again and he followed, grimming all the time.

As I kept going I noticed his shadow in the street lights get right behind mine, and in all one motion I turned and straight punched him right in the face knocking him out. Cold, sleeping like a little baby right on the street.

I didn't know what to do so I just briskly (probably ran) home, approximately 2 blocks.

I profiled (we were both white but I had a swatch on and he had a seiko) and took a gamble and am still here alive, 25 years later. I assume he is still alive as well, not sure. Keep in mind that I am in Canada so guns didn't enter into the equation, but if he had a gun he didn't end up using it because I went home after knocking him out. So I saved him the burden of being a murderer that night.

There's a guy in a restaurant here, party of 10 rocking a Zimmerman jersey.

That guy is a fcuking idiot.

Protestors in ny have broken through police lines and are headed towards madison square garden.

As a parent, if I saw my son lying dead on the ground at the hand of some low life toting a gun and playing cop, I would personally kill with my hands the SOB that did that to him. There would be no place on the face of this earth this piece of SHIT could hide.

Zimmerman will get street justice in due time.

I blame it all on the pot. No pot = No munchies = No trip to the store for skittles and tea = No run in with Zimmerman