Martin/Zimmerman thread

Allan-Herbie

If you're man enough to ignore a dispatch telling you don't approach the person, then you're man enough to get your ass beat. Z was asking for trouble. Guilty.

• Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Protestors in ny have broken through police lines and are headed towards madison square garden.

Really? Where are you seeing that?

So you can go anywhere and start something, and in the case that you're getting your ass beat just pull out a gun and shoot someone in the name of self defense? If it was in GZ's rights to defend himself then it was also in Martin's rights to do so too when some random stranger is following you around in a neighborhood you don't know too well. If Martin's actions were excessive then so too were GZ's. If he has to live the rest of his life (or at least the next few years) looking over his shoulder, living in fear of being attacked, then that's probably enough of a punishment though.

No that's not correct. (Fact 1) It is not illegal for you (Zimmerman) to follow someone if you think they are up to no good. The neighborhood had some break ins and he was patrolling his neighborhood. If someone is following you and you don't like it leave. Walk/run home, get in your car whatever. If he had nothing to hide, or nothing to be worried about his 6'4" bad ass would have just kept walking on his way. However, that's not the case based on the evidence. (Fact 2) Just because someone is following you, no matter the reason, you can not start a fight with them and in this case mount them and start a ground and pound session. Zimmerman was not outside of the law in following him, no matter how much you don't like it or say its racial. Once Trayvon started the physical altercation he opened himself up to being a victim of self defense. These points are based on the law, not your feelings about a 17 y/o being killed. Personal opinion on this serves nothing more than to divert the course of justice.

I don't think this kid was a choir boy, and I don't think anyone caused his death more than he did. If you confront someone you should always know someone dying could be a result. Punches to the head, especially punches that land and send a skull into the concrete/ground, can kill you all the same. Happens all the time. Google the 21 y/o that got into a fight at a bar and killed a guy with one seemingly standard punch to the head. He's in prison for life. You roll the dice, you pay the price. End of story.

Sad someone lost their life, but if you don't respect your own life strangers will not either.

Best

110 freeway at crenshaw shut down by protestors. Rocks bottles thrown. Lapd responding.

I can't believe President Obama actually made a statement about the outcome of this case. Good grief. He seems to like sticking himself into local legal issues, first the incidence with that cop and the black university guy where he said he thought that the police "acted stupidly," then he inserts himself into this case.

Meanwhile the media first calls Zimmerman a "white Hispanic," a completely made-up term, but meant to fan the flames of racial animosity with the word "white" thrown in, then they switched to calling him a "self-identified Hispanic," as if he wasn't a really a Hispanic but rather just a white man who was calling himself a "Hispanic."

Harvard Law professor Alan Dershowitz said that the prosecution should be disbarred.

What is it called when a group of people get fired up, lack reason and want to kill someone for their own brand of street justice? Oh that's right, lynching. I thought that wasnt politically correct? So why is it ok now?

A lot of people don't seem to understand the whole "beyond a reasonable doubt" or "innocent until proven guilty" of the justice system. They prefer to make judgments on their emotions and pity. Well, justice doesn't operate on those fields. Tough shit. And if your parents didn't raise you to know that life isn't fair and full of disappointments, well, you're probably too dumb to know it, but i have no pity for you.

So don't make this something it isn't, or try to find a greater cause out of this. One wannabe cop and wannabe gangster got in a fight and one died. And your life is no different. Consider yourself fortunate and move on.

I can't believe President Obama actually made a statement about the outcome of this case. Good grief. He seems to like sticking himself into local legal issues, first the incidence with that cop and the black university guy where he said he thought that the police "acted stupidly," then he inserts himself into this case.

Meanwhile the media first calls Zimmerman a "white Hispanic," a completely made-up term, but meant to fan the flames of racial animosity with the word "white" thrown in, then they switched to calling him a "self-identified Hispanic," as if he wasn't a really a Hispanic but rather just a white man who was calling himself a "Hispanic."

Harvard Law professor Alan Dershowitz said that the prosecution should be disbarred.

I was waiting for it. He just puts himself in front of a camera to stir shit up. Hopefully it didn't interrupt his golf game with the ESPN hosts, because there is nothing pressing going on these days.

No that's not correct. (Fact 1) It is not illegal for you (Zimmerman) to follow someone if you think they are up to no good. The neighborhood had some break ins and he was patrolling his neighborhood. If someone is following you and you don't like it leave. Walk/run home, get in your car whatever. If he had nothing to hide, or nothing to be worried about his 6'4" bad ass would have just kept walking on his way. However, that's not the case based on the evidence. (Fact 2) Just because someone is following you, no matter the reason, you can not start a fight with them and in this case mount them and start a ground and pound session. Zimmerman was not outside of the law in following him, no matter how much you don't like it or say its racial. Once Trayvon started the physical altercation he opened himself up to being a victim of self defense. These points are based on the law, not your feelings about a 17 y/o being killed. Personal opinion on this serves nothing more than to divert the course of justice.

I don't think this kid was a choir boy, and I don't think anyone caused his death more than he did. If you confront someone you should always know someone dying could be a result. Punches to the head, especially punches that land and send a skull into the concrete/ground, can kill you all the same. Happens all the time. Google the 21 y/o that got into a fight at a bar and killed a guy with one seemingly standard punch to the head. He's in prison for life. You roll the dice, you pay the price. End of story.

Sad someone lost their life, but if you don't respect your own life strangers will not either.

Best

What was the evidence that Martin started the fight? Just because he was the better fighter and ended up on top doesn't mean he started it. Clearly Zimmerman had a bone to pick with black youth in the neighborhood and was following Martin. It would make sense that Zimmerman started the altercation but started losing the fight...good thing he had his gun! Without that gun I'm sure he wouldn't have even thought of following.

My question is at what point can someone who is armed follow/bother/verbally abuse/insult/etc before the other person retaliates? At which point the armed person can use their gun and claim self defense?

What did he say? I can't find it online.

Full post trial press conference skip to 16:10 for De La Rionda's statements

I like this guy...

I 100% agree with this guy. As a person (who just happens to be black by chance) I get sick of everything being turned into a "race vs justice" issue. Regardless if the kid was a drug dealer or not, a kid is dead. Zimmer will have to live with that. We all where not there at the time of the shooting and don't know what happened. We have courts to decided these things, and they made a decision. No matter what the outcome of guilty/not guilty, the fact remains the kid is dead. It's an unfortunate situation, but I hate seeing things like this used to further political agendas. Yes the legal system is flawed, yes there is racism, and hatred, and all sorts of bad crap in this world. But opportunistically capitalizing on tragedy like this wrong and shameful. Life's not fair and if you're looking for true "justice" in this word then you're going to be disappointed because we humans are flawed creatures. We're all just people doing the best we can. We need to stop seeing this as a "white vs black" issue or an "us vs them" and realize that this "our" tragedy as a whole. The kid is a drug dealer? Did that mean that he loved his family less? Or that he was a horrible person to his close friends? Did that mean that he didn't aspire to other things and have hoes and dreams like the rest of us? It's easy to dismiss him as just an action (drug dealer) and who cares? Well he was a person, he had friends, family, and life just like the the rest of us. But make no mistake, I'm not trying to make him out to be some martyr or some saint. My point is he was a person, no more, no less, and that this situation is most unfortunate for everyone involved. Trying to demonize someone or trying to sanctify them for the sake of a political agenda is wrong and only serves to fester the problem, not solve it. People need to grow up and see the bigger picture.

My 2cents

Terrible situation, one kid is dead one had his life destroyed, for those judging I'd say unless you were there you are much better off not, the only people who really know what happened are the boys involved and one of them is silenced forever.

Until you are placed in a similar situation you will not truly know how you will react, talking from the comfort of your chair is different from being followed, chased down the street, punched in the face or looking down the barrel of a gun, you never know how one reacts until faced with the situation, age also plays a factor, the way most of us reacted and approached volatile situations in our teenage years when in fear are very likely completely different from the way we react when we've matured.

Anyway nothing we say or do now will change what's happened and what happened is a tragedy, I truly feel for the families of the victims.

Did that mean that he loved his family less? Or that he was a horrible person to his close friends? Did that mean that he didn't aspire to other things and have hoes and dreams like the rest of us? It's easy to dismiss him as just an action (drug dealer) and who cares? Well he was a person, he had friends, family, and life just like the the rest of us. But make no mistake, I'm not trying to make him out to be some martyr or some saint. My point is he was a person, no more, no less, and that this situation is most unfortunate for everyone involved. Trying to demonize someone or trying to sanctify them for the sake of a political agenda is wrong and only serves to fester the problem, not solve it. People need to grow up and see the bigger picture.

My 2cents

Murderers and violent criminals are people who have friends and family and life like the rest of us.

This arguement in an of itself is staid and old. I hate it when you have some idiot that goes and home invades and rapes and kills people. Then goes to trial and his family and friends boo hoo about how he was so good to them blah blah blah. This is going to be true of all non psychopaths, but it doesn't excuse or lessen the crimes they commit.

I'm not attacking Treyvon Martin here, but the 'he's a person' argument in general.