Porsche CGT 2004-2005

Allan-Herbie

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Slr faster forsure

From a dig yes, from a roll, you guys were dead even with the person who got the hit first being ahead. :)

The SLR is auto and easier to drive. On a road course, the CGT would obliterate the SLR.

On a big ass road course like the ring, the CGT was 11 seconds faster than the SLR. In a smaller course, it would not even be funny.

From a dig yes, from a roll, you guys were dead even with the person who got the hit first being ahead. :)

The SLR is auto and easier to drive. On a road course, the CGT would obliterate the SLR.

On a big ass road course like the ring, the CGT was 11 seconds faster than the SLR. In a smaller course, it would not even be funny.

Dead stop - SLR

Roll on - tie

Over 160mph- SLR

On road course I'd imagine CGT is faster. The Ring time you quote was made by Walter Rohl, no one more qualified to make a fast pass then him. I'm not aware of a similar test with an SLR. I think indrpendent tests had them close.

Did you guys even go over 160?!

I don't know about that one. Time to start digging up you tube vids :)

CGT is awesome. I bought one a couple of years back with 20K miles on it, and it hasn't skipped a beat. It was an '04 no less. No reason to go for an '05 only. My car is still on the original clutch after almost 21K miles, although it only has 20% life left. The new rubber that Evo tested it with is the Michelin Super Sport. Most cars still has the Pilot Sport 2, so it's well worth upgrading, it seems. (I just did, but have yet to drive the car after getting it).

Here is how it looks when it goes through a service... Granted he put a new exhaust on as well, but as mentioned before, a lot of the panels come off. Pretty crazy looking with everything off of it.

SO much carbon. NOM NOM.

Even in that video, you can see how the SLR comes on at the top end..

But from 50-190 the CGT won.

I didn't say CGT was gay.. I said I liked SLR better and that SLR was faster.

You did not like the car lol. Anyway, irrelevant. I agree SLR is faster on street but on track, the CGT is a better car. Problem is, it is also a tricky car on track and in the hands of most drivers, it would probably be a dead heat on track. I have driven both at mosport and they are different animals altogether. As stiff as the Slr is on the street, it is not stiff enough on track and very nervous, does not like to go where you point it and is need of constant steering correction. It is also quite heavy.

The CGT turns in better and feels lighter. I also like the steering feel but I found it leans towards oversteer when you push it hard which makes it a hoot to drive but also quite dangerous. I would not deactivate the traction control on any track that is not completely flat with lots of runoff.

CGT= sports car

SLR= GT car hence I turned it into my daily driver.

I hope you get one within the next year, it would be great to take it to an LP reunion if we ever get around to planning one.

All the race talk on here make me laugh. We don't buy these cars to race. Stop kidding yourselves.

The CGT is a lot cooler than an SLR. Period. It's not even a competition.

All the race talk on here make me laugh. We don't buy these cars to race. Stop kidding yourselves.

The CGT is a lot cooler than an SLR. Period. It's not even a competition.

Going to disagree, especially with how you worded your statement. When I looked at both years ago, when was it.. I think 07? I got the SLR as it is a better and more enjoyable streetcar. If I didn't have the roads I have here, the SLR would still be the better choice as the CGT is not the car you want to be in traffic or everyday commotion in. But now with miles and miles of canyon roads, no traffic, the top off the CGT sounds good to me. Winding through the gears at an occasional track day would seem a waste not to do in a CGT. Also, if I didn't feel the CGT was undervalued and a good investment I probably wouldn't be looking at either. I think as normal drivers, an avg person would put down better lap times in the SLR than the CGT as well.

This is one of those cars I just don't see you ever regretting the purchase of. Good luck with it Allan.

personal remarks:

1. Blues and White look infinitely better than other colors.

2. Two tone wheels look crass in every situation.

3. Flat grey/brown look weirdly hot.

Going to disagree, especially with how you worded your statement. When I looked at both years ago, when was it.. I think 07? I got the SLR as it is a better and more enjoyable streetcar. If I didn't have the roads I have here, the SLR would still be the better choice as the CGT is not the car you want to be in traffic or everyday commotion in. But now with miles and miles of canyon roads, no traffic, the top off the CGT sounds good to me. Winding through the gears at an occasional track day would seem a waste not to do in a CGT. Also, if I didn't feel the CGT was undervalued and a good investment I probably wouldn't be looking at either. I think as normal drivers, an avg person would put down better lap times in the SLR than the CGT as well.

Allan, I (as always) respect your opinion and in this case I agree with everything above. Results from street races isn't a real factor when deciding to buy one or the other. We should judge and buy these cars based on how much we will enjoy them and how well they fit the intended usage.

I wind through the gears all the time. "Occasional" track day is just that - not the norm. The street driving is more important. Those lap times don't matter. Better lap times is a personal battle. Unless two or more drivers are in cars in the same class that follow the same regs, its all locker room talk. Not real.

I stand by my statement that a CGT is a cooler car than an SLR. I think both are cool, but the CGT is in an entirely different league. I think history will confirm that.

Yes, the CGT is a better investment.

Allan, I (as always) respect your opinion and in this case I agree with everything above. Results from street races isn't a real factor when deciding to buy one or the other. We should judge and buy these cars based on how much we will enjoy them and how well they fit the intended usage.

I wind through the gears all the time. "Occasional" track day is just that - not the norm. The street driving is more important. Those lap times don't matter. Better lap times is a personal battle. Unless two or more drivers are in cars in the same class that follow the same regs, its all locker room talk. Not real.

I stand by my statement that a CGT is a cooler car than an SLR. I think both are cool, but the CGT is in an entirely different league. I think history will confirm that.

I think this is already being proven where we have the CGT market rising and prices increasing and with the standard SLR's they are depreciating rapidly and some can be picked up for under $200k.

The exception seems to be the SLR 722's as they are limited and seem to build holding their value relatively well... But in the long run, my bet is the CGT will be remembered as the iconic Supercar of the 2000's

I don't agree the CGT is in a different league, a different purpose yes as it is a completely different animal than the SLR. Driving a CGT daily in the city is a total pain in the ass and as much fun as it is on open roads, the SLR is no slouch either.

In the long term, both cars will do well, the CGT sooner than the SLR as the market for it is getting stronger monthly.

Wow Allan got a GT-R and now he is talking about getting a CGT. I can't believe what is going on here! Good luck with the hunt Allan.

CGT has always been an epic car to me. Obviously there are a lot of people on here who agree. Find the right one for you and don't look back. I'm sure the SLR is a great car and performs better in some aspects. But from what I've read of your posts lately, you enjoy (like so many of us here) a car that provides a very connected driving experience. I cannot think of a better candidate than the CGT. A true manual connected to a racing engine and chassis. Driving in its purest form. One man's opinion but JUST DO IT!

Just picked up the CGT today with the new Super Sport tires. What an absolute treat to drive! There's so much feedback through the wheel, great driving position, plenty of power. Yes, the MP4 would probably cover the same ground quicker, but something has certainly been lost in the translation.

Big hurray for the CGT!

Just picked up the CGT today with the new Super Sport tires. What an absolute treat to drive! There's so much feedback through the wheel, great driving position, plenty of power. Yes, the MP4 would probably cover the same ground quicker, but something has certainly been lost in the translation.

Big hurray for the CGT!

Did you notice the difference?

Allan, I just bought one. I did a lot of research. Feel free to PM me with any questions. The clutch service will not be as high as there are no new clutches available anymore from Porsche--they now have a rebuild program for the clutch pack. It's a Tilton unit anyways (which is the same as Sach's in Europe) so you can buy a new clutch for about $8K--or about $16K with labor (a new Murci clutch runs around $9500 for comparison). A properly driven car (using the clutch assist on rollout) will go well over 20,000 miles before reaching the 28mm min. The major 4 year service is $10K and engine out ONLY if you do the valve adjustment--which they don't need until at least 30K miles. Everyone who has done the valve check with up to that mileage has not required a single adjustment on any valve. So the dealers are now not recommending doing a valve service based on any time metric--only on a mileage basis. So, oil changes are around $900 and a major with plugs, belts, air filters, oil change and fluid level checks is $6000 or less. There is not a significant difference between 04-05, but the market seems to dictate a preference for 05 cars (which I did buy).

I bought mine because it is going to be an appreciating asset from here on out and the car delivers the purest form of driving experience and driver interaction available on the road today.

post-24272-1378357116_thumb.jpg

post-24272-1378357137_thumb.jpg

post-24272-1378357168_thumb.jpg

Did this car just come from western PA? I've seen a red one with the blue Montana plates at CnC. I can't imagine there are that many running around with that combo.

Did this car just come from western PA? I've seen a red one with the blue Montana plates at CnC. I can't imagine there are that many running around with that combo.

Nope--this one was delivered in Las Vegas and has spent its life in Santa Barbara (but titled to a Montana LLC)

Big hurray for the CGT!

Great to hear!! My car gets the PSS's put on next week as part of its major service. Can't wait to drive it with them!!