Paul Walker Reported Dead in Car Crash

Gilligan740

I can not believe what I am reading, after the brakes tyres are one of the cheapest, easiest but most important item you can have replaced on an exotic, that's just nuts.

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The studio quietly announced that they will be using a CGI version of Paul Walker for the scenes they didnt shoot before his death. My understanding is that there isnt many, but too many to fix in editing. Thoughts?

I'm really not sure what to make of it.. seems like an eery thing to do. I feel the movie must be finished though, and if this is the only way to do it then I hope they at least do a good job of it. Anything half-assed would be an insult.

Isnt more easy re write the script, saying Connor was killed by anywho villiian that now the Fast and Furious crew must avenge?

Yes, but they said they didn't want to honor Paul memory with him being killed off - rather retire him in a more dignified manner :)

And in spirit of honoring Paul, I guess it's safe to say the franchise will end with this latest film.

Which ends speculation amongst many that they would make 50 of these films. After Fast Five, you could see how this franchise would continue until Diesel and Walker got too old/tired for the roles.

BTW, speaking of CGI.....how will they manipulate his voice for those scenes?

When I bought my car last year--a one owner car with 5200 mi fron CA, it still had the original tires on it. I ordered the new tires before I even received the car from Roy. The few times I drove the CGT before the Pilot SuperSports were available, with heat in the OEM tires,, it felt like driving on ice cubes on hot cement--very little traction. It was a huge mistake on their part not to have replaced these before driving the car aggressively--very tragic result.

Isnt more easy re write the script, saying Connor was killed by anywho villiian that now the Fast and Furious crew must avenge?

Also, they often do not film movies in sequence, so the scenes that have been filmed may be later in the movie and scenes that still need to be shot may be near the beginning of the movie.

:iamwithstupid:

It's crazy how many F40s are for sale with original tires.

Just about any car that does not get driven much has the exact same issue. My XJ220 had brand new looking P Zero's with tons on tread. When I took the car out first time, it had zero grip so I checked the manufacture dates on the tires and sure enough, they were 6 years old, no wonder they were like hockey pucks.

Had tires replaced as the first thing on my CGT too. The car is enough of a handful as is. Tragic.

me too. I went out on the highway did one roll on at 70mph and I was literally sideways at 80mph. TG nothing happened.

the next day I bought the super sports. the first thing I said when this happened is I bet those were the original pilots he had on that car. its like playing roulette with a cgt.

BTW, speaking of CGI.....how will they manipulate his voice for those scenes?

Lots of voiceover actors that can fill the part.

Also, they often do not film movies in sequence, so the scenes that have been filmed may be later in the movie and scenes that still need to be shot may be near the beginning of the movie.

Excellent point. Plus it's not like these movies were tour de force of film making. They were turn your brain off action flicks.

there should be a law on age of tires when purchasing a car. currently, dealers are required to do a basic safety inspection on brakes, treadwear. age of tires is often not factored.

old tires and brake fluid on exotic cars is a real concern. i have seen many nice lambos with dry cracked tires rolling fast.

there should be a law on age of tires when purchasing a car. currently, dealers are required to do a basic safety inspection on brakes, treadwear. age of tires is often not factored.

old tires and brake fluid on exotic cars is a real concern. i have seen many nice lambos with dry cracked tires rolling fast.

No more laws! People should be smart enough to look at this themselves.

there should be a law on age of tires when purchasing a car.
No! There is already a law against everything in California.

Like most big media events that earn cries for 'more laws', these guys were already breaking the law by going 90+ in a 45. More laws don't fix that. You can't always protect everyone from themselves.

Yes, but they said they didn't want to honor Paul memory with him being killed off - rather retire him in a more dignified manner :)

:iamwithstupid: and rewriting the script would cost a lot of money in reshoots, ect.

being that this would be Walkers final performance, and that these F&F movies will be his legacy, I think its the right choice to use a CG stand in. Otherwise his last works would be tossed in the bin.

The voice would be the easiest part to recreate. and with motion capture the body movements would be very natural. Ryan was right on about shooting movies out of order, so the CG Paul would be scattered through out the film and if done well its likely that most wont be able to tell the difference.

good point. every P dealer is required to do a full inspection every time a CGT is in the shop. the tire condition and tread wear is part of that write up. usually they suggest new tires, so its up to the customer at that point to spend the 2k or not.

good point. every P dealer is required to do a full inspection every time a CGT is in the shop. the tire condition and tread wear is part of that write up. usually they suggest new tires, so its up to the customer at that point to spend the 2k or not.

Actually from my understanding, all dealers are required with all their models. In different instances, Honda and Acura have both notified me that the tires needed to be changed. Honda, at the time, was very hesitant at releasing the vehicle at all because of it. Depending on the CGT, the dealer who did it may have figured the tires weren't as urgent as it seemed since the car sits a lot and is driven lightly and rarely or whoever picked up the car said they would do it later.

I understand why we are all discussing how 9 year old tires are a big factor and noteworthy, but according to the report they were going somewhere close to 90 mph in a 45 mph zone, twice the legal limit in that area.

Someone with more knowledge on performance and racing can correct me but I would hazard to guess that even with 9 year old tires they likely would not have spun out and meet the same fate had they been doing 45 mph or so.

Tragic any way you cut it but demonstrates the importance of being aware of the condition of your car and the surroundings and environment as much as you are confident in your own driving abilities.

I understand why we are all discussing how 9 year old tires are a big factor and noteworthy, but according to the report they were going somewhere close to 90 mph in a 45 mph zone, twice the legal limit in that area.

Someone with more knowledge on performance and racing can correct me but I would hazard to guess that even with 9 year old tires they likely would not have spun out and meet the same fate had they been doing 45 mph or so.

Tragic any way you cut it but demonstrates the importance of being aware of the condition of your car and the surroundings and environment as much as you are confident in your own driving abilities.

People dont buy and drive fast cars to go the speed limit, and they also wouldnt have spun out if the car just sat in the garage. I personally dont think going 90 in a 45 mph zone is that big of a deal when other cars are not around. The media sensationalizes speeding when deaths are involved, but the reality is everyone speeds. The current speed limits are also outdated with current vehicle technology. I have seen my friend spin 180 degrees in his CGT going less than 45 mph. The tires were not quite warm, and hes an exceptional driver. Had another car been coming the other opposite direction he would be toast. Accidents happen, and that's the risk someone takes when they drive any car at any speed.

People dont buy and drive fast cars to go the speed limit, and they also wouldnt have spun out if the car just sat in the garage. I personally dont think going 90 in a 45 mph zone is that big of a deal when other cars are not around. The media sensationalizes speeding when deaths are involved, but the reality is everyone speeds. The current speed limits are also outdated with current vehicle technology. I have seen my friend spin 180 degrees in his CGT going less than 45 mph. The tires were not quite warm, and hes an exceptional driver. Had another car been coming the other opposite direction he would be toast. Accidents happen, and that's the risk someone takes when they drive any car at any speed.

I agree, and I even buy slow cars and go faster than the speed limit. It takes longer to get there and you have to rock your body in the seat forward and backwards to apparently help accelerate.

Was just pointing out that everyone got on this "9 year old tires" is the culprit thing while seemingly not paying attention to the fact that the speed itself was also a factor.

Speed limits are definitely outdated. The major highways here are 60 mph. If everyone did 60 on those highways we would never get anywhere.

Well said!

I agree UAE does it. My old room mate came to California from Abu Dabi and while here ordered some tires for his Porsche TT (they are much cheaper here). He paid for it and had them ship it back home. Turns out the tires were a few years old and during customs inspection they slashed the tires to make sure they weren't used.

I think I said this earlier in this thread, I've driven on that road numerous times and I've actually spun my car there. I wasn't doing 90, but I was definitely going faster than 45 (probably 70-75) , and it was completely my fault because I lifted quickly in the turn. However, the street there is exceptionally wide and when I spun I didn't make it anywhere near the curb. Having said that, people make mistakes, and the faster the speed the greater the consequence. I was lucky, they weren't so lucky. We take risks and we pay the consequence for doing so. Maybe the tires factor in to the mistake, maybe they factor in to the consequence. There are a lot of "what if's" and "maybe's" but at the end of the day it's tragic, because by all accounts he was a great guy and he had a daughter.