Mayweather vs Pacquaio

Allan-Herbie

Boxing really sucks now. It used to be so fun to watch. Now we have guys like Klitschko, Mayweather... two of the greatest fighters to ever box and both boring as fcuk. They've learned how not to lose instead of how to win. The rules are flawed and they've learned how to exploit the flaws.

The MayPac fight will be the last one I watch for awhile. Women's tennis is way more fun :icon_mrgreen:

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They've learned how not to lose instead of how to win.

Bingo! Reminds me of the Norwegian national soccer team in the 90's. They were ranked 2nd in the world at one point in 1993, only behind Brazil. How? By not losing. Playing incredibly boring defensive soccer.

This made soccer even more boring than it actually is :icon_mrgreen:

I agree with most everyone that the fight sucked and that it was very boring to watch, BUT............

Mayweather did what he had to do to win in an undamaged fashion and collect the cash. He is so quick, and his defense and counter game is the best IMO. He had a game plan the whole time, executed it, and got one hell of a pay day.

He doesn't give two shits about the fans, the media, etc. He cares about winning and money, and he got both.

He did it right, IMO.

Definitely, the suckers are everyone who spent money on this :eusa_dance:

I agree, but come on, did anyone actually think this was going to be a slugfest between two fighters who are at the end of their careers?

Anyone who has watched Floyd's past fights know his style (i.e. a runner/hugger/counter). There is nothing interesting about watching Floyd fight other than the hopes of him getting knocked the F out.

Legal obviously, but what a fcuking wanker. Skilled, but not a great sportsman. A terrible sportsman. It's a shame he makes millions being a douche.

the old man needed to retire 20 years ago

Id bet the fight was fixed. The deal was Pac would give a Maidana type performance. The closest anyone has come to beating Mayweather. Thus we'd all buy a rematch fight. Problem Pac couldn't deliver a rematch worthy performance.

Boxing really sucks now. It used to be so fun to watch. Now we have guys like Klitschko, Mayweather... two of the greatest fighters to ever box and both boring as fcuk. They've learned how not to lose instead of how to win. The rules are flawed and they've learned how to exploit the flaws. The MayPac fight will be the last one I watch for awhile. Women's tennis is way more fun :icon_mrgreen:

I have an easy solution; decide all championship fights by KO or TKO. one way or the other one of them gets knocked out!!!

I have an easy solution; decide all championship fights by KO or TKO. one way or the other one of them gets knocked out!!!

I got one better... winner get 98% of purse , They fight 16 rounds.

Went to Vegas for the weekend to see all the hoopla and watch one of the closed circuit feed. Lots of fun, won money, but I don't think all of the hype materialized in Vegas quite the way the hotels, club promoters, or even myself, had dreamed about for years. It was still something to be seen.

I'm not the world's biggest boxing fan, but spent a few minutes reading up on the fight online and thought the fight was exactly what most everybody expected... Mayweather would dance around and use his reach to his advantage and Pacquiao's only chance was a KO... in the end Mayweather would win. Yeah, I would have rather seen a more interesting fight, but in a weird way have a new level of respect for Mayweather and his team's ability to figure out how to milk this event for hundreds of millions of dollars and come out, almost literally, without a scratch.

I'm 30 and for many of the people I know this was the first fight they ever actually paid attention to. Most of them have never watched boxing, casually seen a MMA fight on at a bar and expected a much different style of fight. Can't imagine its good for boxing that this fight lacked luster and has been criticized so publicly. Makes me wonder if the MMA fights will ever be enough to create the buzz of the mega-weekends that make jet setters and Hollywood A-listers grab their tux and load up the G5 like they have for boxing matches of the past?

What sucks the most is the phrase "Mayweather Pacquiao" went from a sports guy's dream to a complete joke in only 36 minutes.

Same here. I had a blast in Vegas this weekend. I put some money on Mayweather and then we went and saw the fight at the Ka theatre inside the MGM. The fight went exactly as expected.

I couldn't figure out for the life of me when Manny had him against the ropes and was pounding on him, why he just backed away. I couldn't imagine you would get a better chance than that.

I also think if Floyd was TRULY after the money then the best bet for him would be to do the following.

1. Lose first fight - pocket $200 Mil

2. Win second fight - pocket $200 mil

3. This is the real fight who wins is the true winner - pocket $200 mil

4. Write a book about it 3 years later how it was all set up - pocket - not much.

As far as a waste of money. We had about 100 people over at the house for the fight. Tons of food, had a great time, good excuse for a get together. Cleaning up afterwards sucked. And we got to watch a fight. It was definitely worth it to me. Would have liked to see a different outcome, but Mayweather is very fast, I have never seen someone run away so quickly.

As far as Manny's BS shoulder. Don't use that shit after the fact, makes you look bad.

About the $... I saw it at the neighborhood bar here, a place like a tgi Fridays or outback but with outside area... the manager said they paid $8000 to show the fight! So they charged $20 a pop.

Manny wanted it. He is just too old and slow.

Mayweather knew he had it and didn't bother to show us anything special. I can't fault him for it but I wish he really had come out and dominated.

Manny is two years younger than Mayweather.

From what I've read, Manny also made over $100 million from this fight. With that kind of cash, what incentive is there for either fighter to really go for it? You go in and win, you get a crap ton of money, you lose, you still get a crap ton.

So do did they change the rules to boxing and that is why it sucks now, as the fighters know how to milk the system, or has the mentality of the fighters just changed?

I find K-1 fun to watch occasionally:

K-1 is derived from Seidokaikan, itself derived from Kyokushin:

So if these two can make over $100 million in a single fight, does this mean there are lots more who make like $50 and $20 million per fight? $10 and $5 million per fight? A load who make a few hundred grand per fight?

Simply put Mayweather is an accomplished fighter but has not been in a great fight.

The more I digest the fight and the stories of people there it is like the Monaco F1 grand prix. The racing is secondary. The stuff on the sidelines is the story.

Monaco GP sucks. Watch the Qualification, then disregard the race, because the only passes happen in the pit lane.

Memories.

we don't realize how good we had it...

Thats worth 99$!!! not this BS run and jab Floyd Nonsense. Some amazing fights in the 8's and 90's. amazing.

Monaco GP sucks. Watch the Qualification, then disregard the race, because the only passes happen in the pit lane.

That's what I like about NASCAR, you have a track with a lot of cars on it and lots happens. Now if only they didn't race in loops so much of the time.

First - Floyd said he'd be up for a rematch, and there were some talks of that.

Now, this:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/boxing/maywe...-234053791.html

Goes to show Mayweather's ego is bigger than another eventual $100+ mil payday. Then again, if I had made over $600mil in my lifetime, was undefeated and one cushy fight away from retirement I probably wouldn't want to square off against a real opponent like Pacquiao either. Only time will tell...