Things that make you LOL!

RyanRo24

The 5 Most Unintentionally Hilarious Soviet Versions of Good Ideas.

The Yak38 Forger

yak38_01.jpg

Where do we start with this one? We'll start by saying it was the frontline fighter for the Soviet Navy from the 1970s until the Soviet Union collapsed in the early 1990s. Oh, and every single Soviet sailor hated it. Soviet equipment tended to fall into one of two categories: it barely worked, or it was total shit. The Yak-38 fell into the latter category.

yak38%20photo01.jpg

They only threw that one in the air to make it look like it was flying.

The main problem was that the aircraft really couldn't do anything useful. Sure, it could hover, and do the vertical takeoff/landing thing like the Harrier. But it also had almost no capability to carry weapons, and statistics show that 100 percent of the time, the side with weapons will win the battle. This is like designing a rifle that has a sight, a trigger and a magazine, but can only fire sound effects.

The stubby wings and weak engine allowed only four weapons pylons for about 2,200 pounds of weapons. If that sounds like a lot, keep in mind that an F-15 fighter can carry 10 times that weight.

Also it liked to suck in its own exhaust, which killed its own engine, causing the aircraft to veer violently out of control, plunging itself into its own doom . And, of course, the engine couldn't start if it was a hot and humid day. Good thing these weren't designed to be stationed on aircraft carriers in the ocean off the coast of Africa, eh comrades?

Also, you had to replace the engine once every 22 hours of flight time. For perspective, the NATO requirement for pilots is 180 flight hours a year, so you're chewing up about eight engines a year at that rate. Oh, and it would be far outclassed in any dogfight, since it lacked any kind of a radar at all. Not that it would make it to a dogfight in the first place -- in all, a third of all Yak-38s were destroyed ... in accidents.

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lmfao ^^ that was pretty funny. I'm not an aircraft kind of guy but I can appreciate the humor.

HAHhahahahaha!

oh god that made me laugh hard. Scrolling down, I was thinking "this is the biggest picture ever!"

Then WHAM! there's a halarious dog!

HAHhahahahaha!

oh god that made me laugh hard. Scrolling down, I was thinking "this is the biggest picture ever!"

Then WHAM! there's a halarious dog!

I liked that, good one. Jack Russel right?

Wanted to thank you guys for taking the time to post...I'm laughing my ass off. Needed that today.

bahahahahahaha!!

that chick really doesn't get it at all.

I love when she tries to run and then dives face first into the bubble. priceless!

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: Proof that laughter is contagious.

I was laughing along too.

Only because the graphics make me LOL after all these years.