Where were you nine years ago today?

Destructo

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was at home that night watching TV with my family when the show got cut into breaking news..

remember going to school the next day EVERYONE was talking about it..

sad

i was a freshman in high school in greenville, sc and parents started showing up and taking their kids home

I was at school. At first, when there was a lot of misinformation, we heard that there was smoke coming from the White House. There was a big screen TV with cable in our student lounge (isn't private school great?) so we had the news on. In the middle of my next class, the administration told the teachers to let us out of class to watch the news. We watched the second plane hit on live television and then parents came and started picking kids up. I went home early and watched the TV the rest of the day.

RIP to the victims. It is an damn embarrassment that Osama Bin Laden hasn't been captured or killed.

I was an installation manager for a company called "CAR-TOYS" at the time and we were in a training session for ////Alpine electronics @ a hotel when all of a sudden a hotel employee came in and announced the attack - end of training right away and off to whatever tv we could find to watch the news

I was in my apartment getting ready for class. My mother in law called asking my wife and I if we had seen the plane crash on the news. We turned it on and I remember listening to Peter Jennings (I'm pretty sure it was Peter Jennings) trying to make sense of not one but two planes hitting the towers, when the first tower fell...I'll never forget watching that on live TV and yelling at the TV as Jennings stammered, "I'm not sure what just happened..." I'm yelling, holy shit the whole friggin thing just collapsed is what happened! Then wondering how in the hell the hospitals were going to be able to take care of all of those people in the buildings (thinking at the time of the collapse, both towers had to be full) and then a little later on in the morning when tv coverage would periodically shift over to a hospital, only to show docs & nurses & medics basically standing around waiting for the injured, when it finally hit me, that no one in those buildings were going to need a hospital...they were all going to be dead. Don't know why I didn't realize it before that time...

I was in highschool, I think sophmore year. However, parents did not come and start taking kids home at my highschool.

5th Grade: I was in-flight to London and then to Italy. We heard about it once we landed in Italy and everything on the TV was in Italian so it was extremely hard to understand what was going on at first. We ended up being trapped in Italy for an extended period of time because international flights weren't allowed into the US. It was truly amazing how everyone over there felt sympathy towards and helped the American people.

RIP to all of the victims. I will never forget.

post-12151-1284183011.jpg

I did a 5 mile run up to my Navy recruters office, knowing nothing about what had happened, to find out if they had any more information regarding my leave date for boot camp. They were all sitting around the tv watching the news, and I sat there in their office and watched the news reports as they ran around in a daze. ALL flights had been cancelled and the military had started bussing all new recruits to boot and they had to restructure the leave times of the guys supposed to leave in the next couple days. Oddly enough, my leave date for boot all of the sudden came in that afternoon and I left 9 days later on my 23rd birthday.

I was in school, after the 2nd tower got hit, the teacher announced that classes are cancelled and we are free to go to the auditorium to watch the news. We sat around not sure if this was real, it seemed so bizzare, then I came home and had the TV on all day.

I was in my apartment on the net, the TV was on but I wasn't watching it, the program was interrupted by breaking news, the sound of the sirens attracted my attention, I turned around and started watching, initially I didn't know what to

make out of it, is it a movie is it real? Than while I was watching the second plane hit the 2nd tower the rest is history.

The world changed that day!

I didn't find out til the next day as I was busy with a new girlfriend at the time, 9/11 was actually our first day that we hooked up so to speak so it was a bit strange to find out what was going on elsewhere in the world at the same time. So the next day when I did find out was in the morning. I was in total shock and it took a long time to sink in, I kept thinking it must be a movie or something, so I took the morning off, millions of thoughts going through my head.

RIP to all the victims.

We were in our history classroom, I recall that as my sophomore year. Watching the news after it happened wondering what the hell was going on. Was a horrible day.

Running an errand hearing the news on the car radio when suddenly the program interrupted and an announcement said in a very very solemn voice that "We'd just received confirmed report that one of the towers of the WTC has collapsed." Then I surfed on radio channels and learned of the tragedy. Later on, the road that I was on has a view of the airport and runway and I noticed the planes were landing at an alarmingly fast rate and the tarmac was packed (never so packed before). Got home, turned on the tv and...

I was eating a dinner with my grandparents as my mom was at this time at work in NYC.. You might think that I'm lying, but no... I was a 9yo boy, with his beloved mother in New York and seeing this, they were crying, I was frightened, I didn't understand anything, the phone lines were blocked because almost everyone in Poland has an ''uncle John'' in USA. Then at late night the phone rang, it was my mom calling from my grandma's brother's house. She said she's alright, and that she was getting out of subway, she looked at the sky and then the 2nd tower was collapsing.. Then panic, running, police sirens everywhere, NYPD and Fire Brigade directed all the people to the bridge, she was running away with thousands of people and what's almost impossible - she was so composure that she was making photos and writing process in her note-book. At every 9/11 since 2001 we're sitting with closest family and reading her notes and wathing her photos... So, you see, the world is small, even a little boy from south of Poland is personally connected to 9/11 tragedy..

I was going to U of A in Tucson and had to turn in a paper that morning. As I was walking across campus I kept hearing people talking about a plane hitting the World Trade Center. I got back to my apartment and turned on the TV right before the second plane hit.

I was on my way home from the gym, when a friend of mine that was working with security at the US emabassy here in Oslo called me, and told me to find a TV... They got the bad news wery fast, so when i got home, it was still not on TV. But minutes later, the world changed...

I was in work (in the UK) when the reports came in (someone for some reason had a tv on!) and it appeared to be an accident. We all started to watch the images in shock. It became obvious it was no accident when the second plane hit .... it was chilling. The reports then eventually came in about the other planes, and it was alarming as to what could be about to happen, i.e. another world war.

I was a junior in High school in my chemistry class when another teacher came in and told us o turn on CNN. The whole days progression was just watching and talking. School was let out early, both my parents were already home from work by 1pm. It was an odd day, and will never forget.

I was on an airplane to Chicago for a meeting, we got diverted to Ft. Wayne Indiana...........we were told that towers were being attacked. We thought control towers of major airports thus the detour to Ft. Wayne. My next thought..........I need to call Hertz immediately, there are not going to be enough cars to help all these passengers. We had to do the tuck upon landing and I immediately ran and got a car before watching the television to see what was happening. Had to drive home with no cellular service as the lines were jammed. Crazy day.

Highschool, just getting out.

The world definitely changed that day. So they knocked down the towers and killed 3000 people. Hope it was worth it -- you know, the whole we came knocking on your door with 100K troops and wiped most of you off the face of the planet, are set on hunting the rest of you down, you brought destruction upon all those innocent people in your homeland. Oh and there are 5 new towers. Enjoy the caves.

I was living in the states going to school at the time needless to say didn't go school that day.....a bunch of us watched the whole thing at a friends house.

what I remember is sitting on my balcony with friends having a beer late at night replaying wtf just happened, one of my friends noticed the sounds of a 'jet engine' in the distance.....but all the flights are grounded.......can't be.

....then looking up in the sky we realized there was a ring of 4 sets of lights around the twin cities in the sky, as one would disappear on the horizon another one would come around.

-suddenly it dawned on us that the city was being circled by fighter jets, patrolling the sky on high alert.....it didn't stop all night.

I was remodeling a rental house that I had just bought on 9-1-01. When a friend showed up and asked me about what was going on with the Twin Towers. I did not have a clue what he was talking about until I turned on the radio. I went home a turned on the tv just in time to see the 1st tower fall. I will never forget the sinking felling in my stomach. The day only went down hill from there.

I will say one thing about 9-11 the world did find out just how small it is. When our economy went down so did the rest of the worlds. It would be nice if we all could get along but that is never going to happen.