Paul Walker Reported Dead in Car Crash

Gilligan740

I don't think I'd blame the CGT. People die in accidents like this all the time. Not so long ago a guy died in a Murcielago in Cali hitting a tree at 30mph..

While it is more rational not to blame the car, you can't help but wonder if Porsche could have dialed in more under steer on the car... The car just is too tail happy and beyond the level of the average driver... More spin outs mean the greater likelihood of slamming into poles trees etc...

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reports have it that the victims were burned so bad to the point that they are unidentifiable. :crybaby2:

Thinking about this sort of death trap is gut wrenching.

The CGT handles very well overall. The new Michelin PSS's transform the car into a much more predictable machine and virtually eliminate the snap oversteer issue. Problem is, a lot of these cars are running around on their original rubber. My car was shod with tires that were manufactured in Feb 2005 when I got it 2 months ago and they weren't even 20% worn at 5K miles. I still replaced them with the new NO spec tires just released (as did Webster I believe). I hope other owners do the same as soon as practical. The CGT, taken as a whole, is probably the best car I've ever owned.

And I still say from the debris field and skid marks is that they were traveling much faster than 45mph. There was a report that some of the debris from the car cracked one of the windows in the bldg next to the crash scene. That being said, that fact does not change anything regarding this tragic event

It begs the question: If the crash happened not too far from the shop - were the tires even close to optimal temperature?

That PLUS old tires could spell disaster, even in the hands of a professional driver.

It begs the question: If the crash happened not too far from the shop - were the tires even close to optimal temperature?

That PLUS old tires could spell disaster, even in the hands of a professional driver.

:iamwithstupid:

I am amazed at home many people will push tire life until something stupid happens. I've caught my dad and my buddy driving their vehicles around on bald tires and once with cord showing. I was like WTF is wrong with you guys? New tires on a commuter car are sub $1000 so why would you even push it?

I just caught myself with all-seasons nearing the end of their life. I wanted to push it until I got snow tires but they didn't have the size I wanted in stock. I finally said enough is enough and bought snow tires and wheels the same size as the car currently has rather then -1 because saving $200 seemed like a really stupid thing to be worried about should I get caught in a snow storm and my all seasons throw in the towel.

On a 300k supercar I can't imagine NOT dropping the coin on a new set of tires just for the handling improvement alone. Tirerack lists 3 sets of tires and they are all right around 2k. Why would you not drop that to improve your car's ability and safety?

I am amazed at home many people will push tire life until something stupid happens. I've caught my dad and my buddy driving their vehicles around on bald tires and once with cord showing. I was like WTF is wrong with you guys? New tires on a commuter car are sub $1000 so why would you even push it?

I just caught myself with all-seasons nearing the end of their life. I wanted to push it until I got snow tires but they didn't have the size I wanted in stock. I finally said enough is enough and bought snow tires and wheels the same size as the car currently has rather then -1 because saving $200 seemed like a really stupid thing to be worried about should I get caught in a snow storm and my all seasons throw in the towel.

On a 300k supercar I can't imagine NOT dropping the coin on a new set of tires just for the handling improvement alone. Tirerack lists 3 sets of tires and they are all right around 2k. Why would you not drop that to improve your car's ability and safety?

This holds especially true on low-mileage, "collector" cars that are traded often and driven rarely. Imagine a Ford GT: I'm sure somewhere there is one with very low miles and original tires or maybe, MAYBE a second set on the car. They "look fine" and drive fine under normal conditions, but pushed to the limit they will not perform as when they were new. Even new, cold tires will give almost no performance and you essentially have an unpredictable car with no grip.

Truly sad. Of course none of this changes that two people lost their lives. What is important is that everyone on here take something away from this. Life is precious, life is short, be up on your car maintenance (including tires) and know the limits of you, your car, and the road.

I spoke with an eye witness to the scene this morning who was really shaken up. He said before being lodged on that tree, the car had taken out a concrete lamp post (which had totally disintegrated) and another tree. The fire spread so quickly they were unable to help them.

It happened at the end of the event, they apparently were putting the cars away. Another guy stalled it, so Roger hopped in to move it and decided to go for a quick spin. The driver who stalled it, was getting into the passenger seat and Paul apparently said no it's my turn. Seconds later they saw smoke.

Tragic RIP.

I spoke with an eye witness to the scene this morning who was really shaken up. He said before being lodged on that tree, the car had taken out a concrete lamp post (which had totally disintegrated) and another tree. The fire spread so quickly they were unable to help them.

It happened at the end of the event, they apparently were putting the cars away. Another guy stalled it, so Roger hopped in to move it and decided to go for a quick spin. The driver who stalled it, was getting into the passenger seat and Paul apparently said no it's my turn. Seconds later they saw smoke.

Tragic RIP.

+ based on his comments; no way the passenger would had survived.

I was actually surprised to hear from him and to see him there today...I guess it is a good thing he got out and do something.

truly tragic.

Yes if you google maps the location you see a lamp post there with a speed limit sign on it. In the iphone video of the car burning you can see the post laying on the sidewalk from the corner to the burning CGT, and the white speed limit sign approximately half way.

Before the fire those guys definitely went through some serious trauma.

RIP, sad to hear!

Kinsella, so you are saying paul was driving? You are aware that is the exact opposite of what everyone else is saying? Not that it really matters at this point though...

Rip paul walker. Terrible tragedy.

Agree with allan re; cgt not necessarily being to blame. Having a hard time believing that they were going 45mph except that allan is accurate re: 30pmh murci fatality a few years ago.

Just terrible all around. A reminder of the incredible fagility of life.

Kinsella, so you are saying paul was driving? You are aware that is the exact opposite of what everyone else is saying? Not that it really matters at this point though...

Rip paul walker. Terrible tragedy.

Agree with allan re; cgt not necessarily being to blame. Having a hard time believing that they were going 45mph except that allan is accurate re: 30pmh murci fatality a few years ago.

Just terrible all around. A reminder of the incredible fagility of life.

No I am not. He was the passenger, he switched places with the original driver now passenger who stalled the car in the parking lot before Roger decided to drive it.

I don't think that is what Kinsella said.

He said driver stalled it, so Roger took over for driver. Driver went to get into passenger seat and Paul Walker stopped driving getting in passenger seat and said it was his turn (in the pass seat, with Roger still in driver seat).

It was offered by a dealer in Dallas for $339,000 when it had 1,707 miles, and then the car was listed in the duPont Registry by an exotic car dealer in Pompano Beach, Fla., when it had 2,100 miles. A dealer in Fort Lauderdale listed the car for $359,900, with 3,231 miles on it, and by then it had acquired the black wheels that were on the car when Always Evolving had it. Always Evolving was the next owner.

The car was originally purchased from Beverly Hills Porsche in California, in March of 2005. When the second owner in California bought the car in 2007, it had only 456 miles on it, and when it was sold to owner three in Texas in January, 2009, mileage was 1,510. When it was offered for sale in October, 2011, it had gained only 200 miles. The car went to Florida, then Indiana, then back to Florida, then Always Evolving apparently acquired the car last spring, where the license plate, California number 7CCY590, was mounted inside an Always Evolving black frame.

So it was Rahal's car. Not sure if I can link to another forum, but here are two images. These was taken in my backyard (literally, a stone's throw from my house):

post-6125-1385942016_thumb.jpg

post-6125-1385942116_thumb.jpg

And again, I seriously doubt the tires were changed considering the small amount of miles on this car and the short amount of time spent with each owner (I counted seven). If this is true, it could mean the tread was close to nine years old.

Reports have it that the victims were burned so bad to the point that they are unidentifiable. :crybaby2:

Thinking about this sort of death trap is gut wrenching.

Well then you need to think about a few things.... Watching that video where the front diff on the Gallardo let loose scared the shit out of me. If that happened on the street, youd be FUCKED... Your car makes massive power, youve got a kid now.. and you street race..

A sad day for all families involved. This is a modern James Dean incident. My thoughts and prayers to the families.

Well then you need to think about a few things.... Watching that video where the front diff on the Gallardo let loose scared the shit out of me. If that happened on the street, youd be FUCKED... Your car makes massive power, youve got a kid now.. and you street race..

Damn Allan brings the truth hard.

Becareful Fadi.

After all this CGT fuss, got my ass up, told the wife lets go and we made the treck to Pacific Porsche to get me a CGT... Well, unfortunately that didnt happen.. :rant:

The terracotta interior is definitely an acquired taste, even my wife said it was pretty damn ugly.. Car had a scuff on the front bumper, the rear bumper was scratched and was the carbon splitter. Couple chips here and there. Guy did a partial clear bra, but he didnt do on the bottom rockers, so in 6k miles, the paint was ruined in those areas.. Rest of the car looked good. Still I offered $330k, which I think is STRONG money on an 04 with 6700 miles, dealer at 355K from $379k. Decided to pass, find one with black interior.

1452050_10201033673550385_1157418256_n.jpg

1460098_10152070855489868_1757158874_n.jpg

Tyrese showed up where Paul Walker died, cried and left without saying a word. (E! News)

What was that about pushing tires to far? This was on my motorcycle's rear tire. I did not realize they were this bad until I checked my tires after I got to work because I spun out really easily. Ordered a tire that day and had my bike mechanic come get the bike and took a taxi home. Scared the shit out of me. Then about a month later at my mechanic's shop there was a bike just like mine with a front tire worse than that. That rider is insane.

post-7086-1385944721_thumb.jpg