take your exotic to work?

BUMN

On the flip side, my wife is a well respected, tenured manager of 14 years at a Fortune 100. She will take the Gallardo in occasionally to remind senior management we are a double income household and not beholden to them.

I really like that! :icon_thumleft:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:icon_mrgreen:

I really like that! :icon_thumleft:

:iamwithstupid: Nice. :lol2:

Just goes to show you that there are no hard and fast rules for things in life.

BTW, this thread reminds me of how awkward the whole exotic car thing to work is.

A few years ago my friend just picked up a silver Vanquish S and wanted to meet up for lunch. He asked if I wanted to meet him at the restaurant or have him pick me up at the office in the AM.

My instant gut reaction was just to meet him there, but I had one of those "WHY NOT?" moments and said screw it, come get me. This was on a Friday anyways where most only worked half a day, and some were off anyways. Figured the mood was right, lol.

When he arrived I invited one or two of the car guys to come look at it. One of them was pretty into it...asking questions and stuff. Maybe he was slightly surprised to see the thing. The other guy just stood a few feet behind the car in complete silence, and then after awhile just walked back inside. Some people walked in/out of the building without stopping to take a look.

After a few minutes the one guy left and we went to lunch. When I got back most didn't really talk about the car or anything, maybe one guy asked about it.

Just had a bit of a slight awkward feel to the whole thing. Makes you wonder what impressions that caused, if I was trying to be seen as a show off or what not. His car was still rather tame....I can only imagine what his Alpine Diablo would have stirred up!

In the grand scheme of things, I didn't worry a whole lot but I know in other places I've been it would have been strange.

People in the "real world" are not how they are on here and some of the other forums, at least when it comes to these kinds of cars.

Don't wanna go OT, but I sometimes think about when the day comes I get a Lambo or Ferrari and how my family/friends will react to it.....and I just can't help but have this feeling that over 90% of the people I know will just have a neutral or negative reaction to it, even if they don't come out and show it.

Outside of immediate family, some of my aunts/uncles/cousins, maybe a few good friends would genuinely be happy. Of course the majority of LP and F-List people would be happy. The rest would be very interesting I'm sure. :lol2:

When I was young I thought everybody would love it. :icon_mrgreen:

HELL NO :eusa_naughty:

Too much jealousy and hatred already. Either my employees will want a raise, customers won't pay their bills, relatives you never knew existed all of a sudden wants to come to you for some free work or I get mugged on my way home. No thank you!

My 0.02c.

In accordance to the law do it what you want and what you need. We live only once.

I have a rich tradition of craftmanship which has been serving the needs of my clients and respectively i earn money and pay all taxes. Why can not i show my success and lifestyle? I do not care of any jealousy and hatred. Be strong, strong head and the exapmle for people!

Pay your employees enough so they can get their own exotics. Then it will be ok to drive one to work :)

I have a friend who told me he can't drive his Mclaren 12C spider to work because it wouldn't be nice for his workers to see it.. (I thought he was the boss)

Only to find a matte black Aventador parked at the office carpark lot one day and i asked him "who is that badass?" he replied "that's my boss.."

:lol2:

Honestly, i don't see how bad it would be for him to turn up in his Mclaren if his boss can show up in the LP700..

It just seems like it's not worth the headache. Guys I deal with also have thier hobbies, Ranches, multi-million dollar homes and vacation properties....but for some reason cars get different attention. Someone mentioned it here, but you buy an E46 BMW for 9K and a guy in a 40K new Ford pickup will be like "wow look at money bags with his BMW"...... it's just a stigma. I am my boss, but rely on employees and clients. I'd love if all my people could buy Lambos and Ferrari's....would make life way more fun, but I'm not a jealous person. One of my best friends father owned a large engineering company (sold for 1.1 billion dollars to give an idea) here in town. When the sons (twins) finished University they went to work at the company, they drove their 360 Modena and Carrera 4S to work....... 10 years later people who worked at the company only remember them as the twins with the Porsche and Ferrari............. out of thousands of employees..........

I do, when I feel like it, which is almost every day during summer.

My employes are free to earn "exotic money" working for me and I even encourage them to strive for highend cars/watches, it makes them work harder and earn more money. If they work hard enough, just like I did.. :turboalex:

Yup, all depends on what you do. My car park often has aventadors, phantoms, very classic mercs etc. We have a well known hip hop producer behind us that parks a countach on the street. At the end of my alley is a car collector who has a jaw dropping collection. However I personally try to avoid bringing my "classic" gallardo in. Mostly out of shame Lol!

If you own a company, bringing a $200,000 plus car to your place of business is only asking for trouble. There is NO upside. When I do drive the Lambo to my business, I park a few blocks away and walk in

That said, I will only show up to gLA's company in my M3 or my Gallardo.

It really does depend on occupation (and perhaps parking situation). My office tower has a parking garage/deck that is often full of RRs, Bentley, R8, and it seems that every other car is a RR, BMW or Merc. There is also a valet for a restaurant in front of the building that is constantly full of exotics. As always, people would notice if you drove a Gallardo to work but chances are they would (1) not actually be co-workers and (2) not think too much of it given all of the other cars around the building.

this thread makes me glad I work from home

Completely unrelated, but does it ever get monotonous working from home? Or does the ability to make it to "the office" in your bath robe trump all?

Whatever it is, apparently works well for you. :icon_thumleft:

I drive in what i want, when i want. My company - they don't like it, they know where the door is.

With that said, they love the cars and know i am first in last out every day and how hard i work so are just happy for me. Helps that i pay them 10-15% better than they'd get anywhere else - they are happy as it is.

Completely unrelated, but does it ever get monotonous working from home? Or does the ability to make it to "the office" in your bath robe trump all?

For me it does sometimes, I've been thinking about signing up for this place http://atlantatechvillage.com/membership/pricing and just going there to work once or twice a week to be a bit more social.

I have a friend who told me he can't drive his Mclaren 12C spider to work because it wouldn't be nice for his workers to see it.. (I thought he was the boss)

Only to find a matte black Aventador parked at the office carpark lot one day and i asked him "who is that badass?" he replied "that's my boss.."

:lol2:

Honestly, i don't see how bad it would be for him to turn up in his Mclaren if his boss can show up in the LP700..

This wouldn't happen to be at a company in Fountain Valley would it?

working from home is great, no complaints

Drove the gallardo spyder today. Woman who works for me in sales said " wow I want one" so we sat down and put together a plan whereby if she achieves certain targets I will buy her the car.

Will she hit the target? Possibly but a long shot.. But if it inspired her even half way she will be very happy and I will still get her some kind of reward.

Hell No!

My employees and patients are oblivious to the Lambo. I drive a late model Porsche 911 Cabriolet to the office (my business) and even that is parked nondescriptly in the back out of patients sight.

Patients already think we are over paid; there's no reason to rub their face in it.

Keep the private life private.

I only shared info about our cars with a select few. More to lose than to gain.

For me it does sometimes, I've been thinking about signing up for this place http://atlantatechvillage.com/membership/pricing and just going there to work once or twice a week to be a bit more social.

Sprite, I am sure you have better connections than me but if you want an "in" I am a good friend with one of the investors.

Drove the gallardo spyder today. Woman who works for me in sales said " wow I want one" so we sat down and put together a plan whereby if she achieves certain targets I will buy her the car.

Will she hit the target? Possibly but a long shot.. But if it inspired her even half way she will be very happy and I will still get her some kind of reward.

I really like that philosophy.

I work from home now, but when I was going into my office each day I wouldn't think of it. In fact, it's the primary reason I debadged my E63. Any layperson would mistake it for an E350, which is obviously a waaaay different car...

I drive my accord daily as my place of work is 42 miles away each way. Im in sales, so many of my coworkers DD nice cars, but I always have more of a case that I need a raise (and it has already worked twice), and they cant hold anything over my head thinking they have me in a corner living above my means.

That being said-I park across the street in self parking, and its Sunday today-most management is not working. Thinking of taking my car in, and parking far away from everything. I dont have an "exotic" car but i guess it can be seen as one by some folks making $9/hour.