What is the worst exotic you have owned and why ?

LPDADDY

I am kind of bored so I figured I throw this out there. Exotics only please, lots of terrible cars and we have discussed them in the past.

Mine, unfortunately is a Lamborghini icon, my LP400. I did a complete restoration ,had electric fans on the rads so it would not overheat in traffic,MSD to stop the plugs from fouling , upgraded the brakes as much as possible to fit a 14 inch wheel, and I still needed to throw an anchor to slow the car down, bigger compressor for the A/C and it still sucked,changed all the synchros and gears in the tranny and it still whined all the time, the window wouldn't go down more than 10cm, the fuses arced all the time,the front end lifted above 200km//h, the clutch was very heavy, the steering heavy at slow speed and light at high speed.

Oh yeah, I had the windows tinted but the windshield acted as a magnifying glass, and if I ever parked it outside on a sunny day, I would come back to an oven. Again, A/C did nothing lol.

I hated the fcuking car but loved looking at it and listening to the exhaust. The only reason why I am sorry I sold it is because it is worth a cool 2million now.

Ferrari 355, absolute shitbox, very long story, in short, it left me stranded in the middle of a mountain out of mobile phone range, I was with my wife, some sort of ignition issue, something came loose (perhaps due to vibrations on rough roads), it refused to start, we were stranded for more than 5 hours, I got so angry I decided to kick the underside of the steering column and the damn thing started hahaha, I drove it home that night and to the dealer the following day and got rid of it.

Some other time the whole internal mechanism of the driver side mirror decided to fall out and hit the door, I've tried to push it back in but it kept falling, hanging on the wires, I couldn't pull it off because the plug was inside the door frame so I had to drive all the way home while holding the guts of my mirror :eusa_wall:

In the end (saw it on the evening news) it decided to kill itself with fire! Thankfully not under my ownership! Sold after 9 months of ownership, that cured me from owning Ferraris.

I can't believe I am contemplating the 488, all your fault! :icon_mrgreen:

996 Turbo,

after coming from a GT3, i just felt like a fat old businessman driving the Turbo, it was well into 'go to jail' speeds before you actually started having any fun, it was heavy as anything, used double the fuel the GT3 used, and seemed to attract way more attention in the wrong ways from police and douchebags who wanted to race.

Gen 2 Viper GTS

If it rained the water would come in the passenger side and wipers would always get stuck. Every rubber part peeled off, had to glue everything back.

The Diablo lol. Its my only one but it has definitely been a handful. I feel like it's pretty much sorted now once I get this fuel issue fixed. I have become an amateur mechanic these last few years with all the repairs I've made. And the fact that I have a pretty decent car worth of maintenance money into it doesn't help either. BUT with prices going up, that is all much easier to think about now. It would be hard to part with after these 6 years of owning!

01 Porsche 996 turbo.

Fit and finish were sub par for the price point, awful shifter which I replaced, NAV would tell you to turn left 200 yards past the corner and it was totally unreliable, literally fell apart. Extremely fast and easy to drive, but ultimately an unsatisfying car.

I have to agree with looney, for some reason I got pulled over by LE more in that car than any other car I have owned and it's not close. Really odd since mine was silver and looked stock.

01 Porsche 996 turbo.

I have to agree with looney, for some reason I got pulled over by LE more in that car than any other car I have owned and it's not close. Really odd since mine was silver and looked stock.

Possibly it had to do with your pre-kids driving style? :lol2:

Possibly it had to do with your pre-kids driving style? :lol2:

No, it really didn't. It was primarily BS tickets for no front license plates, tinted windows stuff like that. All my cars have had tinted windows and no front license plates, but the Porsche got more tickets than all my other cars combined, it was really odd.

I have only had 2 exotics (the Countach and the Superleggera) so I guess it would have to be the Countach for some of the reasons that LP Daddy pointed out.

For me the Countach is like a beautiful, high maintenance, but temperamental supermodel.

When she is off, she can make your life miserable. She can cause you question the damage to your wallet, your sanity and your love for her.

Ah, but when she is on, she is truly a thing of wonder. She can make you feel special in a way that no other car is capable of doing. And when it is just the two of you carving a path on a twisty back road you realize that she is still the best.

im going to get some hate for this, but my 40th anniversary murci was a big head ache for me.

was locked out of the car for several hours in front of my gym lol

major electronic issues every other week, radio was horrible, paint had some factory imperfections etc..

I bought a 06 spyder after this and it was perfect so im still a Lambo guy at heart!

As they say, the Countach is a special car, for special people! LOL... That being said the later cars are much better to drive then the early Lp400. Ive driven mine here in 100 degree weather with the a/c on, and was ok. That being said, I would not want to drive a Countach, or any old car for that matter in city or traffic situations. For me, the Countach and Diablo are the 2 most special and dear to my heart exotics ever made. I could get a Veyron and it wouldn't be as special to me.

As for worst exotic, even though I don't consider it exotic, most do. My 2013 Nissan Gtr. This car while amazing in some respects, a nightmare in most. While it was quick, it is not as fast as most make it out to be. Its handling, and braking is pretty amazing for a car of its size and weight. But in everyday situations, the car felt like driving a noisy, rough riding Nissan Sentra. Absolutely zero excitement, zero soul. Constant issues with the ECU and the car going into limp mode, the noisy, clunky transmission and the constant new rattles popping up have put it firmly as my #1 choice for the worst car I have ever owned.

As for worst exotic, even though I don't consider it exotic, most do. My 2013 Nissan Gtr. This car while amazing in some respects, a nightmare in most. While it was quick, it is not as fast as most make it out to be. Its handling, and braking is pretty amazing for a car of its size and weight. But in everyday situations, the car felt like driving a noisy, rough riding Nissan Sentra. Absolutely zero excitement, zero soul. Constant issues with the ECU and the car going into limp mode, the noisy, clunky transmission and the constant new rattles popping up have put it firmly as my #1 choice for the worst car I have ever owned.

The car does not like octane lower than 93 - many stories of annoying performance / limp issues out of CA owners. The transmission does suck in auto mode.

honestly that is not a BAD one

but may be the jalpa...

was not so fast and not VERY reliable

maintenance has been worst than countach and performance, look and braking are by far worst

i do love LP400S! on the other hand they are the best exotics i had

I have had 2 that sucked, one was not a exotic-Porsche GT2

#1 was a Porsche GT2, i liked how it looked, drove-under 30mph. anything faster it would get loose. i drove it 1900 miles and lost $60,000

#2 Countach 25th anniversary, I had 2, now I have one. The one I sold I drove from Palm Springs to Vegas, Sushi once and the gas station another time. 3 drives in 5? years. I loved how it looked, I thought about hanging it on my wall in my Vegas house-but never did. Its a great car-to look at, i'd rather take the bus than drive it.

I drove a old testrossa once and that was just as bad as the countach, it was nice to look at but driving it was horrible, looked good.

Seems to be a common theme here amongst Countach owners, and I will throw my two cents into the mix as well. Like others have said, when they are on, they are on. Otherwise, they look good in the garage but even the best ones will still sap your wallet.

#2 Countach 25th anniversary, I had 2, now I have one. The one I sold I drove from Palm Springs to Vegas, Sushi once and the gas station another time. 3 drives in 5? years. I loved how it looked, I thought about hanging it on my wall in my Vegas house-but never did. Its a great car-to look at, i'd rather take the bus than drive it.

:shock:

would be great to see what's in your current stable.. :icon_thumleft:

The car does not like octane lower than 93 - many stories of annoying performance / limp issues out of CA owners. The transmission does suck in auto mode.

x2, never driven mine in Auto

Lotus Turbo Espirit, nice when it runs good,but when it had problems ......it had many. Nothing but headaches.

All of mine have had some pain in the ass moments, the LP is new enough where it hasn't had many.

In general, the cars I've had the worst luck with are the ones people modify and do a shitty job of it. Except the C5 Corvette (not exotic, just car), so many GM electrical gremlins that left me stranded multiple times.

Lotus Turbo Espirit, nice when it runs good,but when it had problems ......it had many. Nothing but headaches.

What year was it? I had 2. Put 50k miles on it, and it was trouble free. The second, I sold to a member on Lp about 10 years ago who still has it.

I also owned a Lotus Esprit TT last year. I put about 5000km on it last summer and loved it. It was easy to drive and gave me no issues.

My 25th Countach is a pain in the ass to drive but It is my favorite car in the world!!!!!!!! I have only driven my 1988.5 QV Countach once but when I did it had a less heavy clutch and less heavy shifting then the 25th. The power steering I had installed on the QV transformed the car :)

My old LM002 was much easier to drive then the 25th Countach as the visibility was vastly superior and had ps. The clutch was hard as nails but the shifter wasn't to bad. The big negative was that it had 450 hp and was slow lol.

Jalpa was easier to drive then the Countach. It has a really long gas peddle that takes some getting used to and ok visibility.

x2, never driven mine in Auto

1983 and 1986 , The 1986 blew an oil line to the turbo while doing @ 100 mph and went up in flames. Both cars when driving in the rain hit puddles that warped the exhaust manifolds. Snapped timing belt on the 83 with 8500 miles.Just had a lot of issues, but as said they were fun to drive

after my ownership of 2 lambo's, an 02 murci, and an 01 6.0, I would have to say that I had pretty good luck. Both were very hi mile cars in Lambo terms, but were very reliable. Never felt like I was going to get stranded.

However, the murci felt heavy to me. It felt even more kit car ish than the 6.0.

Something strange I don't really like about the heavy v12 cars is the front end. It seems to float at times. It almost would feel like the front suspension was on air bags when driving in city or basic here to there type driving.

The V12 Lambo's are truly meant for GT purposes. 100 plus MPH on long drives.. That is where they shine and the only time I miss driving them..

same car, same nightmares - i would be driving into city while raining and both windows would go down by themselves and stay down! good times