New seating arrangements

RM-S8

Will be interesting when you recline in the middle seat and be basically face to face with the two people behind you.

They can be horizontally stacked where you lie on each other's stomachs for all I care, I try to never fly economy. Too many fat, inconsiderate slobs with entitlement complexes about why they don't get white glove french service on a $175 ticket.

That is horrible. Who wants to have some freak in the middle seat stare at them the whole flight and vice versa. At least when they all aim the same way you don't have to deal with that issue. Now if the middle seat has a smoking hot chick this may not be too bad!

I would imagine they will run into issues with people not liking the sensation of facing backwards during takeoffs, landings, etc.

They don't care what YOU like. If they the only airline going where you want to go and those are the only seats available people will take them. Especially if the airlines price them cheaper then the other seats.

Yeah. How does someone get into the window seat in the first place?

The seat bottoms flip up for ingress/egress.

This doen't seem that different than riding a bus. Plane isn't much different. Noplussed

They don't care what YOU like. If they the only airline going where you want to go and those are the only seats available people will take them. Especially if the airlines price them cheaper then the other seats.

I agree on the comfort point. I am thinking more along the lines of people suing for motion sickness and that type of thing.

The safety point is a good one that I didn't think of. I doubt this concept will go that far as it is.

Variation on the same theme but British Airways had been doing this for years for their 747's upper deck business class. It's no where as "austere" as what's being proposed here of course but the concept is the same. It's a 2-2-2 arrangement so basically on the sides, the "window seat" faces backward while the "aisle" seats" face forward; the similar arrangements for the middle row. It's more of a cubical-type of seat with its own swing out table and monitors and it is partitioned. But on take offs and landings, part of the translucent partition gets lowered and one will see the passenger beside you almost face to face and eye to eye.

As far as motion sickness, it seems ok as one cannot really feel the "motion" per se while cruising in the air. For turbulence, I would say those newer business-class with seats on an angle is much worse because one is literally sitting at an angle while the vector is straight forward. Add some bumps and swings and your axis senses are really screwed!

Agree with the "they don't care" part. So long as the authorities approved it, it will be marketed and if the prices are attractive enough, someone will go for it.

Lemme pull up the legendary BrianWilson diagram... ok so according to this, the person in the middle reaches out to both sides and...

Yeah. How does someone get into the window seat in the first place?

The airlines, long ago, have ignored the emergency window seat. They will put people who cannot operate it in that seat. I have seen fat woman with did not have the strength to open it or who did not even understand how it worked. I had one older woman who asked how she could possibly get out through that little opening? She was thinking the window pane and did not understand that the whole panel came out.

I have seen passengers who needed assistance getting into that seat. Passengers who could not operate that window, or, in an emergency, get themselves out of the way so others could get access in an emergency. Sad situation but its the real world of commercial aviation. Enjoy your flight!!

The airlines, long ago, have ignored the emergency window seat. They will put people who cannot operate it in that seat. I have seen fat woman with did not have the strength to open it or who did not even understand how it worked. I had one older woman who asked how she could possibly get out through that little opening? She was thinking the window pane and did not understand that the whole panel came out.

I have seen passengers who needed assistance getting into that seat. Passengers who could not operate that window, or, in an emergency, get themselves out of the way so others could get access in an emergency. Sad situation but its the real world of commercial aviation. Enjoy your flight!!

You are into some interesting observation.

Agree 100%. I believe a few airlines offer the seat (selling point - extra leg room) for a premium.

I would imagine they will run into issues with people not liking the sensation of facing backwards during takeoffs, landings, etc.

That is a weird feeling. I've experienced it once. Take off is ok, landing I wasnt a fan of.

I found riding backwards on a flight from JFK to PHL far worse than riding slightly off center on the long haul flights from ATL to DXB.

We've seen the concept posted before and it never comes to fruition. As noted earlier it would be a nightmare in an emergency situation and since manufactures need to fill ever seat and then evacuate the plane before they get their certification I don't see a set up like that ever actually making it in to production.

I always try and take the emergency exit. It has way more leg room and at least I trust myself. However over 100's of flights I have never seen an attendant allow someone that is incapable sit in the emergency row.

I think this idea is horrible. I don't like awkward situations and this definitely puts you in a position to have to talk to a fucker that wants to talk your ear off.

Never will happen. There are tons of regulations governing how fast people need to get out of a plane (thus governing the amount and location of emergency exits).

That design is a death trap and will never fly (pun intended) with the FAA.

Never will happen. There are tons of regulations governing how fast people need to get out of a plane (thus governing the amount and location of emergency exits).

+1.

Also how the seat needs to "destroy" orderly in case of crash landing.

You would need to have two different mechanisms to do the same thing.

Plus people generally try to avoid those seats on busses. I use bus max 10 a year but I love the opposing seat, I can give a good ol weird and annoying half hour stare to any passenger I want. :D

Are you sure?

I hear RyanAir is very hot for the idea :)