I really need to buy a new gun...

Roman

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to scour through here and find the best info on building my own AR. It'd be too easy to just buy one, it's far more fun to build it. It'd be a helluva lot cheaper to shoot than my AK47 and I think my girlfriend would enjoy shooting it as well.

Here's a tough question: What type(s) of gun lubricants/oils do you guys prefer? There is of course a wealth of information on gun forums, but like many forums, the debate rages on and no conclusion is found.

I'm currently using "Clenzoil" on the frame and internals (non moving/sliding). And Tetra lithium grease on the slide/bolt of of all my weapons. So far it's been good. I'm still getting the gunky grease off my AK (from when it was shipped/new).

I have heard many stories of guys using heavy motor oil or really unconventional lubricants (machine grease) on their guns and reporting good results. This is something that I've heard about many times but never used: http://www.militec-1.com/

Thoughts?

Militec is SHIT, stay away from it. The .mil quit using it after finding that some of the ingredients actually attacked the integrity of the metal and caused premature bolt failures.

As for lube, a lot of guys run mobil 1 and swear by it. I've used Slip 2000 EWL, machine gunners lube, and tetra gun lube all with great results. The important thing is to keep it lubed. I know one guy that ran axle grease on his suppressed SBR and only cleaned it every 4-6,000 rounds with no problems.

Any advice on what to look for as far as STRIPPED AR-15 lower receivers goes? I am looking at starting there then building it as time goes on, sort of a hobby gun. My only experience with ARs was my old preban Colt Sporter, which didn't have the quick takedown pins (I believe that's what it's called).

Any brands or what to look out for? Hoping to build it from the ground up.

You can get a complete BCM or LMT lower for 300-350 bucks, ready to put on an upper and fire, with FCG, all parts including buffer tube and buffer and stock. Plus they make damn good true mil spec parts.

I'll back up RD and agree that a stripper lower is a lower, as long as it is in spec it'll work fine, There's only like 4 actual main manufacturers of lowers out there, most of the rest of the makers out there actually contract out to them and get a variance from the ATF to have their rollmarks put on.

Colt, LMT, CMT, and somebody else I forget are the 4 main guys, I'd have to dig around but there's a list out there of the manufacturers and who contracts out to them.

Thanks for the tips! I've always tried to maintain a consistent cleaning regiment but I've also been guilty of over cleaning and over lubricating. Considering I only own combat weapons (no collector firearms here!) I'll have to try the Mobil 1 thing.

Is the use of motor oil a replacement for something like Clenzoil and Tetra? Or do you use it only on moving parts (in lieu of lithium grease)? I really store more than I shoot, so the guns don't get a lot of range time.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hey!!!! Just realized how did you get a KSG already? You do T&E for them or something?

They are still hard to get. I got lucky because I know someone who hooked me up, but I can't really go into detail. They are hitting people's hands already though so I'm sure you'll be seeing more of them. Don't pay over list price though, people are gouging buyers right now and its ridiculous. In reality, its a neat gun but nothing super special.

Loving the wise food storage. ;)

That's about 1/30th of my food collection :)

Water... thats a bit harder. But it is easy to stockpile food. Though most of it says to store it in a climate controlled environment which is a bit harder.

Ya my dealer is getting me one once they hit the shelfs, he usually treats me good on prices. After seeing your picture I told him to get me a SCAR 17S in FDE too. :)

Your beating me in the food storage dept, I got about 6 of those WISE buckets. Water I have a few cases of water, but I have a Well for my drinking water so in reality I am pretty all set with water, I have a hand pump for it if things get real ugly.

They are still hard to get. I got lucky because I know someone who hooked me up, but I can't really go into detail. They are hitting people's hands already though so I'm sure you'll be seeing more of them. Don't pay over list price though, people are gouging buyers right now and its ridiculous. In reality, its a neat gun but nothing super special.

Aguila minishells FtW!

McMillan 300 Win...very nice, extremely accurate! We were shooting that day out to 1,600 yards.

post-10287-1347069464.jpeg

Doing CQB in the shoot house...it was 110 a couple weeks ago in AZ so excuse the attire...

post-10287-1347069885.jpeg

CS5...extremely accurate for an SBR...

post-10287-1347070523.jpeg

Wanted opinions on this as I thought it was interesting.

I saw a comment that mentioned some interesting points:

- Racking the gun tells the perp you're armed

- Also gives away your location

- May make them want to take you out and consider you more of a threat

These are things that made me go "Hmm yeah that's a good point."

But i always thought that keeping a loaded weapon puts stress on the action in some ways since things like springs and parts that are made to move can cause the springs to go soft and things may not work right. Which brings me to my next question:

Is keeping a round in the chamber, racked and ready, a bad idea for a 12 gauge for home defense? Is it hard on the gun (although I guess this may vary gun to gun depending on the action) say for a pump action.

I already went out and took the step of getting a gun and I've been around guns since I was a kid. And while I was taught about safety, I was taught very little about storage. I do recall hearing that keeping them loaded is hard on clips. But at the same time, you don't want to be loading a clip, or loading a tube or racking a gun when you need to be getting it out, swinging it around and aiming.

Pros and cons? Would love to hear those of you that know more about this than me.