Tony Stewart

Phteven

This is tragic all around, we all love motorsport, but its sad when someone pays the ultimate price for it.

1 thing is certain however. 2 racing careers will have ended on that night. I wouldnt expect TS to be lining up to race anything this side of a go-kart any time soon.

Why not? Not any expert on the subject, but I mean the other driver had gotten out and was standing there. If it was purely accidental, then why wouldn't he be able to take up racing again?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not? Not any expert on the subject, but I mean the other driver had gotten out and was standing there. If it was purely accidental, then why wouldn't he be able to take up racing again?

A couple of reasons.

1: if he is at all human and has any empathy, I'm sure he'd feel conflicted about it. I know if i killed someone with a car, irrespective of the circumstances I'd want to keep away from them for a while

2: I would imagine sponsors wouldn't be too keen to put their product with him. At fault or not (i'm not entering into that discussion) companies generally try to avoid controversy etc

The rear tires are offset so even holding the steering wheel straight the car is going to kick out - smaller tire left, larger right, going counter clockwise and Tony new exactly what the car would do if given gas. Now run that through your head. Do the math with tire size, etc and even you can say if I give gas I am going to hit this person not miss them (or scare the shit out of this person). I feel the steering change you see with the front wheels is the result of the blip of the throttle not Tony trying to miss the person. It is truly horrible and I can only imagine what is going through everyone's mind including Tony's.

totally agree

Ok... The news just showed the whole video (big screen and slo mo) and the car jerks right because the kid is under the rear wheel.... Not his fault the kid jumped under the wheels...

Kid should never have exited his car. Under most circumstances it's the safest place to be. Being hit by a competitor when you're inside your car- strapped in to your 6 point harness with HANS and/or other safety equipment is usually better than exiting the vehicle. You never see an F1 driver jump out when they crash or have a mechanical issue whether they're by the wall or on the hot track. That's why rules say you don't exit the car - even under a red flag and certainly never under yellow or black. I'd imagine having your car on fire might be the only exception.

Stewart should have taken a lower line and stayed off the throttle under yellow. Can't know what he saw or was thinking and whether accidental but the entire situation wouldn't have happened if the kid stayed in his car.

Either way it's tragic. There should be a penalty for Needlessly exiting your car when it was safer to stay in it. I assume if the wallet is impacted most would avoid the penalty.

Very sad.

The kid is a moron and he paid for his stupidity dearly unfortunately. RIP.

Agreed 100%. How could any one fault Stewart? He was doing what he was supposed to be doing, the kid was not. Did he deserve to die for that amount of stupidity? NO, but guess what, shit happens when you act like an idiot. Rule for children 101, do not play in traffic . . . err, don't walk into the middle of a race track during a race.

either way it's tragic. There should be a penalty for Needlessly exiting your car when it was safer to stay in it. I assume if the wallet is impacted most would avoid the penalty.

Very sad.

I think it is fair to say the kid paid a very generous penalty.

I think the way he was turfed off was dangerous anyway and Difficult to know if there was a subplot brewing. Tony clearly has an unhealthy disregard for his competitors.

The kid should not have done what he did, I think Tony should face action and not just civil. The kid was not exactly running towards the racing line.

Tony knew what he was doing, he knew he was getting close and that is probably what he wanted to do, he just got clumsy.

RIP

Chilling footage.

There is no evidence to date that celebrated NASCAR driver Tony Stewart committed a crime when he struck and killed fellow racer Kevin Ward Jr. with his car during a competition at Canandaigua Motorsports Park, Ontario County Sheriff Phil Povero said Sunday.

But Povero said his investigation continues and "there are no foregone conclusions made at this point."

He asked witnesses and anyone with video of the fatal collision on Saturday night to contact his office at (585) 394-4560. He also wants to talk to people with a professional understanding of this form of racing, which involved sprint cars on a dirt track.

"I want to make very clear that as we speak at this time, there is no evidence in hand or no facts that would support a criminal charge or support criminal intent on the part of anybody," Povero said.

Yup I agree....run out in traffic, only the worst can happen, ..Darwin award..sad loss of life..

The kid is a moron and he paid for his stupidity dearly unfortunately. RIP.

I just heard an interview with the mechanic of the car that Stewart was following. He said his driver barely missed Ward and that Stewart would have had even less time to react. Additionally the vertical element of the roof spoiler on the right side significantly restricts vision to the point that apparently even seeing a race car on that side is difficult.

I just heard an interview with the mechanic of the car that Stewart's was following. He said his driver barely missed Ward and that Stewart would have had even less time to react. Additionally the vertical element of the roof spoiler on the right side significantly restricts vision to the point that apparently even seeing a race car on that side is difficult.

Just looking at a couple pics of sprint cars makes you wonder how they see anything not directly in front of or left of the car. From pics it looks like the driver would have little to no visibility to the front right of the car.

Its always nice to see a bunch of armchair quarterbacks who arent particular fans of a certain "athlete" trying to damn his life to prison because of some total assumption heavily swayed by their dislike of the character.

Kid runs out in traffic.....on dirt.....on a race track....with multiple cars still running.....cars with no visibility.....

but no no.....Tony definitely wanted to fcuk with him.

I like Tony Stewart a lot. He loves dirt tracking and I think it is great that he comes back to his roots and to small local tracks and does his thing. You do not see many athletes doing that. Hell, he even owned a Lambo (extra cred points ha). My one post is not out of hate for Tony nor do I think he intentionally wanted to make contact with the person. I just think he could have taken a low line and knew what the vehicle would do when provide pressure on the gas pedal.

I like Tony Stewart a lot. He loves dirt tracking and I think it is great that he comes back to his roots and to small local tracks and does his thing. You do not see many athletes doing that. Hell, he even owned a Lambo (extra cred points ha). My one post is not out of hate for Tony nor do I think he intentionally wanted to make contact with the person. I just think he could have taken a low line and knew what the vehicle would do when provide pressure on the gas pedal.

A couple cars had passed even higher up than tony was. The 45 almost hit him too.

Everyone that I have seen comment who is/has experience with these cars (or claims to) seems to be under the impression that Tony did nothing wrong or even tried to spray the kid with dirt.

Everything on video seems slower than in car. If Tony saw him it was likely after the 45 passed the kid. Reaction times are slowed when you are not expecting something (think deer midday in the middle of a highway vs country road at night). Tony never made contact with the kid and on top of that the course just went under caution. I honesty do not think Tony even intended to splash the kid with dirt. If the rev is even Tony I think the rev was caused by the contact with the kid slowing the whole right side of the car down. His foot would have been on the gas pedal and hitting a person enough to rip the car to side likely would have caused him to push harder on the pedal, especially if he did not see the kid.

I wasnt try to call any particular post out specifically, just some of the general "he killed someone, he needs charges" types of posts. And to be honest, yours wasnt even one of the ones i was thinking of Charlie!

Based on what has been presented to date I don't see how Tony Stewart can be held responsible for the Kevin Ward's death. While the reported rivalry and pother backdrop stories add drama to the situation the burden of responsibility has to lie with Ward for making the decision to leave his vehicle and walk out on an active race track at night knowing the drivers of these cars have limited visibility at best. Considering the speed of the cars, the lighting conditions and that fact that traction is always an issue there would be very little time to react and avoid a collision with KW. Some say TS intentionally gassed his car to piss off KW, but there is no way anyone can say that with any certainty. People need to access the information without clouding the issue with the perceived personality of Tony Stewart.

I think Tony Stewart is a napolean douche but dont think this was his fault or intention to hurt or kill this kid. Tony was being Tony, prob fcuking w the kid the whole race. Finally nudged him into the spin, the kid got pissed and got out of his car. Once he did that, I believe he is 100% at fault for his own death, as tragic as it is. Did Tony get too close? Did he want to give him a dirt shower? Who knows, only Tony at this point. But regardless, the kid imo is 100% at fault for getting run over.

I just heard an interview with the mechanic of the car that Stewart was following. He said his driver barely missed Ward and that Stewart would have had even less time to react. Additionally the vertical element of the roof spoiler on the right side significantly restricts vision to the point that apparently even seeing a race car on that side is difficult.

So Stewart likely panicked but it was too late.

he gets paid a lot of money to show up and race at these dirt tracks