All these big $ car rallies, are they really fun?

Camel Toe Juice

When I was younger I watched the Gumball Rally videos and I thought that would be on the top of my bucket list.

But I have done my share of local one day runs and couldnt even fathom of doing a 5 day, 3k mile run while partying hard each night.

I dont mind doing a 250 mile run, hotel and then going home the next day. But 3k miles , 20k, with the risk of a break down seems a bit out there to me.

Maybe I am getting older or have the wrong impression, thoughts?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never been on a rally other than the Grand Giro in Italy and that was one of the best experiences of my entire life! The only regret I have is that I don't think it will ever be repeated! :(

I believe there are 2 major fundamental differences that made the Grande Giro the driving event of a lifetime: 1) the Italian police literally opened up the road and encouraged the participants to drive fast; they wanted everyone to go V-max. 2) the entire Italian nation was one gigantic group of Lamborghini fans; from 4-year-old to 80+ year-old; everyone but everyone was cheering. Unfortunately, these 2 factors simply will not exist in North America. The laws and possible lawsuits will discourage/forbid any police authority to encourage speeding and rolling road closures are next to impossible at the civilian level. And there will always be some idiots calling in to report on speeding to which the authority must investigate since a complaint has been filed and the police must uphold the law. Moreover and with utmost due respect to some fellow responsible drivers, there will always be a few clowns who drive recklessly and irresponsibly; the moment someone decided to floor it everyone will follow as if all were literally bat out of hell. But this is taking place on public road where the regular Joe and Jane are also driving on the same road at the same time; you know where that would lead to. Keep in mind also that due to the scale and spirit of the event plus the roads and speed involved, I dare say every participant at the Grande Giro was a class act and all were competent, courteous and cautious drivers. Judging from past experience at the North American Giro and citing the photos and videos of events like the Gumball Rally (and again, with due respect to those who play by the rules and factor safety in mind), at times, these resembled a rolling Gong Show. I agree that an event of a day or two would likely work. Beyond that, not so much and likely with a high dose of doubt.

Horses for course. Depends what flicks your switch.

Would you rather go for a cruise by yourself on some quiet roads in your own time, a run with some friends or a blast across a country with some people you barely know trying to pose each other. Depends what you want from your own time

Giro though had a nice appeal with a good balance and certainly looked an experience to cherish.

I believe there are 2 major fundamental differences that made the Grande Giro the driving event of a lifetime: 1) the Italian police literally opened up the road and encouraged the participants to drive fast; they wanted everyone to go V-max. 2) the entire Italian nation was one gigantic group of Lamborghini fans; from 4-year-old to 80+ year-old; everyone but everyone was cheering. Unfortunately, these 2 factors simply will not exist in North America. The laws and possible lawsuits will discourage/forbid any police authority to encourage speeding and rolling road closures are next to impossible at the civilian level. And there will always be some idiots calling in to report on speeding to which the authority must investigate since a complaint has been filed and the police must uphold the law. Moreover and with utmost due respect to some fellow responsible drivers, there will always be a few clowns who drive recklessly and irresponsibly; the moment someone decided to floor it everyone will follow as if all were literally bat out of hell. But this is taking place on public road where the regular Joe and Jane are also driving on the same road at the same time; you know where that would lead to. Keep in mind also that due to the scale and spirit of the event plus the roads and speed involved, I dare say every participant at the Grande Giro was a class act and all were competent, courteous and cautious drivers. Judging from past experience at the North American Giro and citing the photos and videos of events like the Gumball Rally (and again, with due respect to those who play by the rules and factor safety in mind), at times, these resembled a rolling Gong Show. I agree that an event of a day or two would likely work. Beyond that, not so much and likely with a high dose of doubt.

:iamwithstupid: I've done several. The cops are either with you or against you. When they are against you, the entire weekend is spent running from them. And you could be the safest driver out there, that's not the issue, you will see retards passing on double solids, in the shoulder, blowing through residential areas. In my limited experience I am surprised there are not more serious accidents and deaths.

Like Porter said, when people get the pack mentality they lose track of their surroundings and focus on just one upping each other. I prefer the organized sophisticated drives like the Giro, or like Newport Beach Lambo drives. Ones that are about relaxing with other enthusiasts, stopping at scenic destinations. Each to their own tho, I don't want to risk my car, my safety, my license to show off to people I don't know... but as Cap'n said.. whatever floats your boat. I find the aggressive drives just tarnish the reputation of exotic car owners. In countries where there is a driving culture or a passion, like Italy where LE assist you to enjoy your car safely on public roads, and other motorists appreciate the spectacle, it different then North America where yaris driver inherently hates you, plus you don't want to be the guy blasting past a family in a mini van at 200... thats just my 0.02

If you want people all over your car and no real driving then fine, but it's basically just for posing now, and def not what it used to be, constantly stalked by police and no actual driving, just days of motorway and big city traffic. The good ones don't exist anymore because of the amount of crashes inevitably leads to theirdownfall as lots of people on these things can't drive, so you have to be very careful.

It's buying an ideal now that in reality probably isn't what you want but you will sell it to yourself as you have always wanted to go, that's what I found anyway. No idea what the U.S.ones are like but Gumball is a proper Mickey Mouse outfit in terms of organisation, paperwork, etc with an attitude of just trust us were Gumball what could possibly go wrong that and everything is extra which considering it was budget everything to start it makes the cost a joke. You could hire the same hotels, planes, venues for very little, and for the same money you literally would have the trip of a lifetime in the finest of everything. Your just paying for company and a few celebs to have your pic taken with (which you are also paying for).

I think 3 cars is optimum and max of about 5. Zero interest these days in big organised rallies that massively overcharge and under deliver in all areas, but that's my experience, but it really is whatever floats your boat.

I did the Gumball in 2002 and 2009. The 2002 run seemed a bit more focused on the drive and the cars, however the 2009 run was really just a big party! there are all kinds of rallies out there, some are more party focused, some are more focused on the drive.

When I was younger I watched the Gumball Rally videos and I thought that would be on the top of my bucket list.

But I have done my share of local one day runs and couldnt even fathom of doing a 5 day, 3k mile run while partying hard each night.

I dont mind doing a 250 mile run, hotel and then going home the next day. But 3k miles , 20k, with the risk of a break down seems a bit out there to me.

Maybe I am getting older or have the wrong impression, thoughts?

They couldn't pay me to go on one of those rallies. Absolutely nothing sounds fun about it.

They had a special on the 2014 gumball rally on some channell here i had never watched before. Seemed like the entire thing was an episode of jackass with a bunch of exotic cars.

I don't understand how people sit in their cars for so long, these exotics are not fun to drive long distances whatsoever. First class flight over driving a uncomfortable car with terrible roads for more than 30 min. lol

They couldn't pay me to go on one of those rallies. Absolutely nothing sounds fun about it.

:iamwithstupid:

Obviously people are into different things but for 16k you could chill in most any resort in the US for a decent amount of time eating great food and relaxing. Driving 700 miles a day, checking into an awesome hotel and having to pack your crap and be out at first light to do the same thing over sounds like a pain in the ass. Wonder if there are "old man" rallys that go up the California coast at a snails pace and spend actual time at various resorts. Damn, I sound like my father.

Obviously people are into different things but for 16k you could chill in most any resort in the US for a decent amount of time eating great food and relaxing. Driving 700 miles a day, checking into an awesome hotel and having to pack your crap and be out at first light to do the same thing over sounds like a pain in the ass. Wonder if there are "old man" rallys that go up the California coast at a snails pace and spend actual time at various resorts. Damn, I sound like my father.

They do, it's the Italian Stampede and ends @ Pebble / The Quail.

I hate all rally's. Coffee and cars, country group drives etc etc. All poser BS douchebags for the most part

I don't mind driving with people I know. There used to be group of 10 to 20 cars depending on the route compromised of various exotics that would run every 8 to 12 weeks, knock out 250 miles over a day with multiple stops, lunch etc. You only got an invite through an existing member of the group so it was pretty low key and a lot of fun. The drives were also always off the beaten track for the most part.

That said, I will never run with strangers again. A bunch of us did a run a few years ago that started in OC, if I remember correctly, Assman, gla, Allan-Herbie, webster132 and a few other familiar faces drove down from LA. That was fine, except for Allan getting pulled over for his FL plates. However when the run started it was clown fest on busy roads. It was embarrassing and dangerous. There was another one up in Calabasas where a kid (19 or so) almost wrecked an Aventador. It's just not worth the risk.

I've seen too many idiots that take their car out a handful of times each year who have ZERO skills with car handling/high speed driving.

They think they are Mario Andretti but they put themselves and others in danger. Too many idiots passing on double yellow with short sight lines, taking ridiculous chances (with their own safety and others'). Put on top of it a pack mentality....gotta keep up with the group at any cost.....I'm cooler than shit cause I have a V-12 (or V-10 or whatever exotic) and it's a recipe for disaster.

Plus so many people now call the cops from their cell phone cause they are pissed at an idiot passing them with a 60mph closing speed. Those type of speed differentials scare most "regular" drivers who simply don't see it coming. All it takes is a pack of exotics to bring the hate out in people but unfortunately it's usually well deserved.

I've done a few - and no thanks. The most fun I had was driving 400 miles with our friends in their Murci. Once we got to GIRO it went downhill.

Thats just it.. when you pass a minivan full of kids respectfully and they're excited to see some cool cars, versus ripping past them on a solid line at 100mph - 8000rpm.... just creates a hate. Honestly as much as I love cars ANYONE endangering me or my family driving like a cocksucker - even if its in a Ferrari F40 - I can't respect and would preferably kick their ass.

I thought it would be cool to do something like the Gumball Rally, but looking at the Gold Rush Rally, I would never be able to justify spending $20,000+ on driving around for a week and partying every night just to be hung over every day.

I did the Gumball in 2002 and 2009. The 2002 run seemed a bit more focused on the drive and the cars, however the 2009 run was really just a big party! there are all kinds of rallies out there, some are more party focused, some are more focused on the drive.

Which car did you use back in 2002?

The first few Gumball editions were the best ones. Everything changed in 06 with the Porsche Turbo accident and nowadays with the social media giving it way too much exposure + added celebrities etc.

Cmon, douchebros and insane amounts of personal liability? Whats not to love?

You are forgetting that you get to pretend to be famous for a few days while meeting EVERY 14 year old photographer along the route!!!