Is anyone in the BITCOIN market?

Lambofan35

Alright. I've never really gotten into investing other than a savings plan that I can make money with and can choose to invest in different stocks. I want to put $200 towards a currency. I'm thinking ETH but others are still suggesting Bitcoin. What do you guys say?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When the casuals are getting in, it's time to look for the exits.

True.

Can anyone tell me where to go to purchase ETH? Is it something I can acquire through my Schwab account?

ETH touching $300....

Seems like I missed the boat on this one. But maybe not. Ehhh..... Probably going to be a dip coming, Ill let you all know when I buy then that will be a good time for you all to buy again.

Its been pretty much buy the dip for anything since 2008. I´m not so sure about cryptos though because other than stocks or other assets they have zero value but complete trust and hype.

Moreover they aren´t really suited for leveraged speculation either. Huge intraday swings of more than 25% latlely. The sad truth is probably that one missed the opportunity about a year ago when most of them were cheap as hell.

And now its either chasing highs while risking 50% losses or potentially more OR getting really lucky if it continues to explode to hyperinflationary digits if the hype continues due to a lack of other alternative investments in this low volatility environment for other assets.

I really want to buy an Ethereum mining machine a friend of mine is BALLING from Ehtereum and only spent $8K on a machine a little while back. He said it paid itself off in one month and has made 10 times what it's worth in the first year. Does anyone have any advice on this?

When did he buy it? I bet he would have made more money buying $8k worth of ethereum than mining. You say first year. So he I assume he has had it at least a year.

A year ego ETH was at $14.39.

It's currently at 381.35

So he would have gotten 556 ETH.... current value $212k. However if it was 1.5 years ago ETH was at $0.95. He would have had 8421 coins. current value $3,211,348.

My advice is if you think ETH is going to go up buy ETH not a mining machine.

Who knows what will happen to this stuff, but some people that watch and study the market believe it will be $1k before the end of the year. What do you guys think?

Just something to chew on since I also own a fair amount.

You should buy ETH for one of two reasons;

1. You really believe in it and therefor you should buy now, yesterday, tomorrow, a week ago, a week from now... it doesn't matter because to believe in it, means you believe in another 10x, 20x, 100x (?). The day to day, week to week changes are still irrelevant in the scope of that belief.

2. You speculate and hope to get in and out at the right time. This is just momentum gambling.

Allow me to elaborate further, especially with respect to (2). There is no accurate way to make any meaningful projections of what ETH should be valued at., at least not yet. It's not a business with fundamentals, but it's also not just a currency. It has some very undetermined utility value beyond just a store of value. It's a network with a purpose, but whose purpose thus far pales in comparison to the value of global ETH worth.

I have never seen any real analysis for what ETH should be valued at, therefor I think it makes no sense to say it's worth $1000 or $800 or $75. What evidence would anyone use to come up with these prices? Is there some addressable market where its utility could be accurately valued? Why $1000 and not $2000? Why not $500 or $5000?

Ethereum has some seemingly real utility beyond store of value. How much should it cost to use the Ethereum network for applications or products/services? Who knows. The current value of ETH far outstrips the worth of the transactions of utility making use of the network. ETH market cap is something like $30-50B now, no? Well, I assure you that you could build a vastly bigger network than the current Ethereum network with $30-50B worth of servers that could provide all the same services for dapps etc. Amazon for example, or Google, have billions of dollars worth of servers, but their servers generate revenue and provide real services with real economic contribution. How much they spend on servers and how much servers cost to use depends on their utility. You pay to use their network, but you pay in USD instead of some cryptocoin. Ethereum doesn't really have that yet, or at least not on a large scale. I still have yet to see any amazing use of the Ethereum network (though there are in theory some very interesting ideas), whereas everyone uses AWS or Google services for very important, prominent, and successful things.

So yes, until we see the real value of conducting business beyond trading of "currency", you should either buy and hold for the next 10x, 50x, 100x, or you should just gamble and hope you're right.

If anyone has an financial analysis of the true value of the ETH network and the real value of the utility of the network, I'd very much like to hear about it. ETH is very interesting, but the verdict is still out on it. At the end of the day, it's open source. Anyone can create private networks. There is talk about the benefit of using blockchain for something as large and significant as financial services and various smart contracts, but it could be argued that there is nothing stopping all the major financial institutions from pooling all their resources to create a semi-private implementation where the benefits are still provided due to the distribution and no one entity having sole control of it, but still bypassing a global public network. There's nothing stopping the largest tech companies from forming giant networks that provide more or less the same benefits of a global, public network.

It's all very interesting and who knows what will happen. I'm personally speculating still, though far enough in the profits to not have to worry about timing it. I may convert to a long-term investor standpoint if I see more clarity on utility and addressable market, but as of now I can put no real price target on it. I didn't think it would go past $80, let a lone $400.

All of that said, I recommend everyone owning at least a little. It's worth the gamble in my opinion.

Good luck to everyone!

See you can buy stock in Bitcoin investment trust rather than bitcoin itself, thoughts, as that would seem a simpler entry point to me?

See you can buy stock in Bitcoin investment trust rather than bitcoin itself, thoughts, as that would seem a simpler entry point to me?

You can buy 1/10th or almost any denomination of Bitcoin and other crypto. It's better to have the physical gold versus a piece of paper if you want to use that analogy.

• 2 weeks later...
The person with the buy order at 10¢ is sitting pretty right now!

There is not a snowball's chance in Hell that a 3,800+ ethereum order was filled at 10¢.

In the event that an order was processed at a dime it was for one stand alone ethereum.

The amount of buy orders that would be triggered on the crash down would take several minutes if not longer to process.

This crash came and went in a second. At the end of the day heavily margin accounts were evaporated instantly.

I am sure there are a few fully grown children that won't be coming out of mom and dads basement today.